Sponsored by:

C7 WiFi

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:42 PM
psmcnabb
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7 WiFi

I used on star during the trial period on my 2015 and at that time let it expire. Periodically I still get a message for oil life and tire pressure so on star must still be monitoring the car even though the wi fi isn't working. Often times my iphone will connect to the car wi fi (which isn't active) and I will get a message on my phone that says can not connect to service. If I happen to be using the iphone for GPS it will freeze up and stop working. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 05-27-2016, 01:43 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I still have the OnStar by subscription, but not the WiFi. My iPhone will often show connected to the WiFi like yours but without service. It's only intermittent so I just ignore it.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:53 PM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by psmcnabb
I used on star during the trial period on my 2015 and at that time let it expire. Periodically I still get a message for oil life and tire pressure so on star must still be monitoring the car even though the wi fi isn't working. Often times my iphone will connect to the car wi fi (which isn't active) and I will get a message on my phone that says can not connect to service. If I happen to be using the iphone for GPS it will freeze up and stop working. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Makes sense - the car's wifi "router" is still on but is not connected to the internet for your use (it is for OnStar's own use).

Just go into your iphone and tell it to "forget" your car's wifi connection, and then you won't have the problem anymore, your iphone will stick to its LTE connection and should not freeze up anymore.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:12 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

You will have OnStar Basic for free for 5 years since you enabled OnStar for the trial. This includes Key Fob services and monthly diagnostic emails. The OnStar Remote Link phone app is free on the Android or iPhone app store.

Ron
Old 05-27-2016, 02:45 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by psmcnabb
I used on star during the trial period on my 2015 and at that time let it expire. Periodically I still get a message for oil life and tire pressure so on star must still be monitoring the car even though the wi fi isn't working.
Why would you assume that onstar contacts the car over wifi? I think is just uses a cellular connection (which is what the wifi uses in order to provide wifi).

Often times my iphone will connect to the car wi fi (which isn't active) and I will get a message on my phone that says can not connect to service. If I happen to be using the iphone for GPS it will freeze up and stop working. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
If you iphone is configured to connect to that wifi then you should disable that. It's not the GPS that's being affected - that tells your phone where you're at. The wifi (or cellular) data connection is there to do things like download map data, POIs, etc. So this is not a GPS issue, it's a data connection issue.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 WiFi

Quick Reply: C7 WiFi