C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone removed the OEM cover from a C7 Airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:33 PM
pkadams
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Has anyone removed the OEM cover from a C7 Airbag?

I have a custom leather wrapped steering wheel for my C7 that I like very much. I would like to add a leather wrapped horn pad. On a C7 the horn pad is a cover over the airbag. When I look at available parts on Corvette parts web sites, they always seem to sell the horn pad and airbag as one unit.

My question is:

Has anyone taken the OEM cover (horn pad) off of the airbag in order to replace it with a custom wrapped cover? If so, how difficult was the process. I assume you have to remove the airbag first. But don't know what the steps might be after that??
Old 05-29-2016, 12:51 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I haven't done that one myself, but I've seen threads on it before. Here's the thread from the how-to sticky to get you started. Hopefully someone who's done it will chime in:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-wheel.html
Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

these run about $600

Last edited by C8Jake; 05-29-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:03 PM
pkadams
Racer

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I haven't done that one myself, but I've seen threads on it before. Here's the thread from the how-to sticky to get you started. Hopefully someone who's done it will chime in:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-wheel.html
Let me be more specific. I am not looking for instructions on how to remove the airbag. I have a used custom leather wrapped horn pad that I could purchase, and I am trying to understand how difficult it would be to removed the OEM horn pad (airbag cover) and replace it with the custom wrapped horn pad (airbag cover). It looks like it might just slide off the airbag but I want to confirm that before I purchase it.

Last edited by pkadams; 05-29-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:22 PM
matt3310
Support St Jude!!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '09-'10
1st St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Very easy! Once you have it out it will take you maybe 5 min to do.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:28 PM
pkadams
Racer

Originally Posted by matt3310

That's great to hear!!! Could you kind of step me through the process? Is the airbag itself in a capsule or is it just folded inside the cover? It looks like the bottom of the cover has some tabs on it, do they snap into the base of the airbag electronics module. Do you have to disconnect any wires or remove any screws?

I have looked all over the place and I can't find any instructions on how to do this. Lots of instructions on how to remove the airbag but nothing about how to remove and replace the cover on the airbag.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:47 PM
USMCVETC7
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 05-30-2016, 04:04 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
these run about $600
What a bargain....NOT. Can think of hundreds of better ways to spend $600.

Vendor must make a fortune in profit. Don
Old 05-30-2016, 04:52 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I found this, maybe it'll help. It might not be very difficult which is why you can't find anything on it:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...bag-cover.html
Old 05-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
What a bargain....NOT. Can think of hundreds of better ways to spend $600.

Vendor must make a fortune in profit. Don
If you think $600 is a lot for a beautiful cosmetic touch like a leather wrapped horn pad from an artisan, you'll likely soil yourself if you see price the whole custom steering wheel, horn pad, carbon fibre and aluminum paddle options....

Can't put a price on happiness...I've said it before....Evertime I touch this wheel it's like prom night all over again!

Except this time the ride lasts longer.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:37 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by pkadams
I have a custom leather wrapped steering wheel for my C7 that I like very much. I would like to add a leather wrapped horn pad. On a C7 the horn pad is a cover over the airbag. When I look at available parts on Corvette parts web sites, they always seem to sell the horn pad and airbag as one unit.

My question is:

Has anyone taken the OEM cover (horn pad) off of the airbag in order to replace it with a custom wrapped cover? If so, how difficult was the process. I assume you have to remove the airbag first. But don't know what the steps might be after that??
I did mine some time ago so I'm going from memory. Disconnect the negative battery terminal directly from the battery in the right rear corner of the hatch. Apply the brakes or wait a few minutes for the residual power to be dissipated. Insert a long, thin allen wrench into each of the small holes on either side of the housing behind the wheel. You are pushing into some small tabs inside the housing. When you find the tab the housing will pop up.

There are several wiring connections as I recall, although it may be just one that has to be unplugged for the airbag. After you remove the entire assembly, there are 4 nuts on a retainer holding the airbag in place. Remove those and the airbag slides out. Slide the airbag into the new cover, reinstall the retainer, re-connect the wiring, and slide the assembly back into the wheel until the tabs are re-inserted. Re-connect the battery terminal, re-index the windows if you get the message on the dash - just run them up and down - and you are good to go.

It's not very difficult and will probably take less time than it did to write this.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 AM
blown81bu
Safety Car

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
these run about $600

Those look like carravagio covers?
Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I wonder how much those will hurt when the airbag blasts it into your face? Come to think about it, what happens to the standard cover?
Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by rrsperry
I wonder how much those will hurt when the airbag blasts it into your face? Come to think about it, what happens to the standard cover?
Well the emblem will come at you like a ninja star.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:21 AM
VT-Rider
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the day, I worked for an airbag OEM. The cover is part of an engineered system, including the steering column, inflator, nylon bag and cover. The bag had a specific folding protocol so that it unfolded from behind. I recall that the bag was hermetically sealed in light plastic wrap. The cover was designed to accommodate the fold and had specific tear lines - thin lines in the cover material to ensure that each cover would blow open in the same manner. One challenge was to design an injection moldable cover with thin tear lines on the inside that would not bleed thru (be visible) on the graining or other surface treatment on the outside.

The ornament on the stock GS airbag is thin light plastic. The ones above appear thicker. As the bag inflates in 0.02 to 0.03 seconds, unfolding at over 100 miles/hour, if the ornament separates from the cover, it could cause serious driver injury.

If you want to change the cover, on my car I would leave the airbag disabled and go with competition seats and multi-point belts. Probably have to disable an airbag error message.

My $0.02. Worth what you paid for it...
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by blown81bu
Those look like carravagio covers?
Apsis makes them as well. There was a pretty recent post in the Parts forum with them showing off a blue leather/blue stitched cover.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:27 PM
danh63
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by matt3310

Damn that dash and all looks good!

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone removed the OEM cover from a C7 Airbag?

Quick Reply: Has anyone removed the OEM cover from a C7 Airbag?