Roof latch problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Hgreen0814
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NJ Events Coordinator

Default Roof latch problems

I have been an enthusiastic corvette owner for past 30 plus years having owned 7 and the C7 - 15 is by far and away the best, but the problems with the roof latch causing significant rattles is terrible and although I have had the local dealer change the assembly per the GM service notice it still continues as a problem. I actually brought it back to the dealer last week and the rattle got worse. The dealer gave up on the repair saying they didn't know how to correct it and they prepared a field serve report to GM.

For such a technologically significant car it's amazing the engineers at GM can fix a rattle. I filed a report with Chevy directly and remains to be seen what they do about.

Very frustrated
Old 05-29-2016, 03:59 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Hgreen0814
I have been an enthusiastic corvette owner for past 30 plus years having owned 7 and the C7 - 15 is by far and away the best, but the problems with the roof latch causing significant rattles is terrible and although I have had the local dealer change the assembly per the GM service notice it still continues as a problem. I actually brought it back to the dealer last week and the rattle got worse. The dealer gave up on the repair saying they didn't know how to correct it and they prepared a field serve report to GM.

For such a technologically significant car it's amazing the engineers at GM can fix a rattle. I filed a report with Chevy directly and remains to be seen what they do about.

Very frustrated
I have not developed that problem yet ....may I suggest that you request/demand a new roof .... or perhaps the dealer will give another roof a try ...if they have the inventory ....
Old 05-29-2016, 04:16 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Removable joints are hard to manufacture to tolerance. Most if not all squeaks and rattles are not related to design but rather tolerance stack ups and manufacturing difficulties.

As an engineer I can design a great part but if it can't be built or can only be built poorly (due to the inherent nature of the design) then there isn't much I can do.

The only way to remove roof rattles is to have a fixed roof.
The following 2 users liked this post by LT1 Z51:
Chevette!?!? (09-26-2020), Ron_Attleboro_MA (09-27-2020)
Old 05-29-2016, 04:30 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Very frustrated
I had my local dealer replace the removable roof pins in the front and the latch device in the rear on my 2015 C7. I also had a few rattles before the repair.

After I had the roof top repaired by the local dealer, I still had rattles and have determined that the problem was my garage door opener that was clipped to the sun visor. Once removed from the sun visor the rattles stopped. Apparently the insides of the garage door opener and outside clip were loose.

What a difference. I opened up the garage door opener and secured the small IC board with Gorilla Glue and glued down the clip on the outside.

It made a major difference, no rattles. Can't say you have the same problem, but if you have a garage door opener clipped to a sun visor, remove it and see what happens .
Old 05-29-2016, 04:35 PM
OC Sadler
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Very frustrated

Have you looked at tightening the rear latch hook yourself?? There are several posts on that "repair" on the forum - some with pictures - and it worked for me! And it is easy to do!
Here are 2 of the posts!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oof-noise.html
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nge-story.html

Last edited by OC Sadler; 05-29-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:06 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Removable joints are hard to manufacture to tolerance. Most if not all squeaks and rattles are not related to design but rather tolerance stack ups and manufacturing difficulties.

As an engineer I can design a great part but if it can't be built or can only be built poorly (due to the inherent nature of the design) then there isn't much I can do.

After owning a C4,5 (several) & 7, I can say that I would love to see a fixed roof Coupe and end the roof rattle problems. GM - PLEASE NOTE!

I never remove my roof! Owned my C7 over a year now and its never been off, but it rattles.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:31 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I miss T-tops.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:04 PM
Hgreen0814
Instructor

NJ Events Coordinator

With all due respect for your engineering background and explanation as an avid consumer of the corvette I believe GM has a responsibility to produce this part so it doesn't malfunction. This, to your point is a chronic problem, but you would think after after so many years of producing the (C4-7) GM couldn't figure this out. Obviously, they recognize the problem, based upon the service bulletin, and still they have come up short in resolving the issue. I think they shoukd offer to replace the roof in good faith.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:41 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

My 2014 roof has been off about 5 or 6 times. So far no rattles after 19,000 miles. Maybe I got lucky with mine.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

'15 here and only a rattle or two when driving on a very rough surface, Normal roads are no problem, had the roof off and still no problem. Another lucky one here.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:17 AM
Friendly guy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts
Default workarounds available

The more parts the greater the stacking problem. Are a lot of parts involved in the latch assembly? Solution is tighter tolerances of all or certain critical parts. Could be caused by tolerances that are too wide OR failure to control present tolerances. That would be called sloppy manufacturing and incompetent QA if that were the case. It would be interesting to have a sample of the parts involved plus the manufacturers prints with tolerances. Just measure the parts and know the answer. I suspect the manufacturer knows the answer. Then again it could just be a poor design that no amount of tightening or control of tolerances would overcome.

Just my opinion and I'm an engineer as well.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:23 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendly guy
The more parts the greater the stacking problem. Are a lot of parts involved in the latch assembly? Solution is tighter tolerances of all or certain critical parts. Could be caused by tolerances that are too wide OR failure to control present tolerances. That would be called sloppy manufacturing and incompetent QA if that were the case. It would be interesting to have a sample of the parts involved plus the manufacturers prints with tolerances. Just measure the parts and know the answer. I suspect the manufacturer knows the answer. Then again it could just be a poor design that no amount of tightening or control of tolerances would overcome.

Just my opinion and I'm an engineer as well.
If I had to guess, I'd say the biggest issue is frame to roof tolerance and flex. Obviously since the roof and frame are first introduced to each other in final assembly I'd say that creates the biggest issue for fitment issues. The strikers and latches I think have to be very precise and inherently the design is not.

Much can be done by liberally applying grease on the weather striping and to the striking and latch hardware. This is the "typical" solution to noise, however people who have noise due to roof to frame flex are SOL (this latter one I would hope is quite rare), as opposed to tolerance fit (which I feel is common).

On my C6, my roof was typically quiet and I was notorious for greasing my weather stripping. But in the end I don't think you will ever get the noise free operation of a fixed roof which is a part of the frame structure.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 05-30-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:48 AM
WM17013
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe someone can develope a "latch" that allows the top to be bolted in place. That should solve the problem for owners who don't remove the top and prefer a fixed top. Isn't that how early targa tops were attached?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:22 AM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
'15 here and only a rattle or two when driving on a very rough surface, Normal roads are no problem, had the roof off and still no problem. Another lucky one here.
Count me in on the lucky ones
Old 05-31-2016, 10:35 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

I took mine off once and that started the rattling. I had the TSB performed and the rattle went away. I also haven't removed the roof again.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Hgreen0814
Instructor

NJ Events Coordinator

Based upon the posts, it sounds like latch assembly rattles is just a bi product of a non fixed roof. I wonder if this a common problem of other cars with a removable roof??
Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Its hit or miss. I have had a few C4s, C5s, and C6s. Some have rattled more than others. But, they all rattle at some time or another. :yes nod: And, when i get my C7 I expect some rattling.

Get notified of new replies

To Roof latch problems

Old 06-05-2016, 10:01 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine (2014 Z-51) squeaks above the passenger side back position and before the 15's came out I suggested when didn't they come up with a 2 latch system instead one 1 like the c5 -c6 !!! Wayne
Old 06-05-2016, 11:41 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I have a '16, and have taken the roof off several times, and have no rattles or squeaks on smooth surfaces. I occasionally hear barely discernible noise on rough surfaces, which would be consistent with most vehicles regardless of a detachable roof.

I don't necessarily agree that a new roof will solve the problem as they are mass produced separately and not inherent to car. If the hardware is new, and the latches have been adjusted, then the problem would seem to stem from the car itself, and not the roof... possibly the seals are not properly bridging to two components.

A new roof under warranty would be able to rule that out as a process of elimination, but may be difficult. Instead of a new roof, wonder if the dealership would temporarily install a roof from another new Vette? If it solves the problem, then that might help your warranty claim. If it doesn't, then they can focus their attention somewhere else...
The following users liked this post:
markeaux (09-26-2020)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Rocky51
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 56 Posts

Very frustrated
Problem was very bad on my C6 until I noticed that the pins on the front of the roof panel were loose. I torqued them down and it has been quiet ever since.

Quick Reply: Roof latch problems