C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad idea to leave a CTEK outside in rain/snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:29 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Bad idea to leave a CTEK outside in rain/snow?

My car is kept outside under a cover. I'd like to plug the CTEK into the hatch and leave it outside under the car and then run an extension cord into the garage. I don't think I can put the CTEK in a weatherproof box because it needs ventilation. Any downsides to just leaving it outside?

According to CTEK's site the charger is rated IP65 water proof/resistant (they actually say proof and resistant on different parts of the site). This is using the 3300 charger with a cigarette lighter adapter. I also have a CTEK that came with my old C6 but on that charger it clearly says to keep the device out of the rain.

I would leave the CTEK in the hatch but the black cable is too thick for the hatch to close. The other alternative is just backing my car close to the garage and just running the CTEK into the garage but I'd like to avoid this as backing into my driveway is a pain in the ***.

Last edited by Goaty; 05-31-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:43 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

an alt. is to leave the ctek in the car on the console lid, run the ext. cord thru the window just barely opened for the cord, stuff the rest of the window opening, and put the car cover on. I don't like the idea of leaving it under the car exposed to elements. I'd also use one of those outdoor ext. cords. I'd also ck the ctek every so often to make sure it's still on--means visible to you relatively easily to ck the lit buttons. others will have ideas, too.

Quick Reply: Bad idea to leave a CTEK outside in rain/snow?