Sponsored by:

XPEL Installers *@#%^*@ !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 PM
lowprofiling
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default XPEL Installers *@#%^*@ !!!

My new Z06 arrived from Ohio last Thursday night. I brought it home, taped up the front, side vents, and part of the rear portion for the drive down to the local Xpel installer Friday morning. He was going to install the Xpel, ceramic coat it, as well as ceramic the wheels. I am happy as can be, and was planning taking a nice cruise Friday night. I get a call around 3pm the Xpel printer is broken, he has been trying to get someone to fix it, however with the holiday its not going to happen. He said he would have the wheels finished, and I could pick it up Saturday morning. He said we could go to the bank, and he would refund me the deposit minus the fee for the wheels. I said don't worry about, just let me know when the printer is fixed. I happened to be near his shop on other business later that afternoon and stopped in. He was in the corner on the floor and had the rear wheel off which struck me odd, but I figured he was coating the entire wheel so great. I did ask if he knew the torque specs to put the wheel back on to which he says he does and he is having someone bring him a torque wrench, which again I found odd...you don't have a torque wrench? They had a giant Craftsman box in the shop.

The next morning I went down, taped up the car again and brought it home. While I am doing this, he is telling me about the $11K printer for the Xpel, and how he went to their class to learn all about it, etc. Nice guy. His main business detailing. he also mentions the business is a tad cut throat with some other local installers. He did not name names, and we were talking about business in general hence the reason it was brought up.

Today I called him as I was surprised I have not received any follow up. First call no answer, several hours later second call it seemed as if he sent me to VM so I just left a message, but started getting concerned. I decided I would call another place listed on Xpel's website because I want my car done as I have staring at it in the garage for week. So I mentioned I was working with someone else and what was going on, but did not mention the name. They quote 7K to do the entire car. This is twice what the first guy quoted me, and I told them that is too much of a difference and I would wait, but at the same time I am thinking you get what you pay for. The 2nd installer quickly drops his price to 4K, and says he'll need the car 4 days. I found it odd, they would dump the price that much and why do they need the car for 4 days? - seems long. We continue to talk and he ask me who the other guy, and actually guesses so I said yes that is who it is. 2nd installer tells me they received a text last Friday from the first installer asking what they would charge him (2nd installer) to do a car. Now I am thinking 1st installer saw a black car, all taped up and realized this person might be a stickler, got cold feet, and made up the printer was broken while he figured out what to do. 2nd installer also tells me that is the best printer you can get, he only has had it for 6 months and no way its broken already. I make an appointment to drop the car Monday morning with 2nd installer. 1st installer calls me back about an hour later, and said he meant to call me today, the printer is fixed, and he can do the car next Thursday. At this time I ask him point blank, did you call another Xpel installer to get the car done, they could not do it, and the printer was never broken. He answers 100% NO. At this point I don't know what the heck to think, 1 of these 2 shops is lying, and I have to figure out which one it is and trust them with my new car.

Also before I went with installer 1, I called Xpel to make sure their website is up to date and my installer is authorized in good standing. A receptionist answered and gave me some get off the phone answer, so that yielded nothing.

This entire thing is stupid
Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I wouldn't use either one. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rooster OG:
2cnd Chance (06-03-2016), DAC17 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:35 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

The first rule getting XPEL is to get recommendations for installers (not from the XPEL website). Local car clubs are a start, perhaps car shows if you are talking to vette owners with XPEL on thier cars.
I would dump both the installers you are considering. The first is experimenting with your vette, the second tried to rip you off on price. $7k is ludicrous....

Last edited by runner61627; 06-02-2016 at 10:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by runner61627:
Landru (06-06-2016), Rebel Yell (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:42 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

I agree find another installer.
I had my whole car done for $3500.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:44 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
To me both is full of bull shi^ 1st for what he did on the lying about the machine being out. Then the second one for thinking you would be crazy enough to pay 7,k then going to 4,k.

I was going to get a shop at a car show to do my car until I saw one that he was just done with. Let me tell you this if that car is not totally 1000% clean of every little piece of dirt are anything else it will show in under that film that is put on the car...
Old 06-02-2016, 10:55 PM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Wow... $7k? Even $4k is steep. Don't do business with either installer. Both are sh-i-tbags.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:55 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

I would 100% not get it done at the second place. That is shady business.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:17 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,189 Likes on 542 Posts

I wouldn't get it done at all. I had an "expert" installer do mine. Showed me his work on 300k+ exotics. I'm satisfied but not blown away with the product. My car is white, the edges build up dirt and there are a few micro bubbles and so dust In a few spots. If your **** don't expect a flawless job. Also the shade is off a bit and in my garage lighting you see all sorts of weird crap in it.
The following 3 users liked this post by TRANS DAMM:
05XLRtoC7_San Diego (06-07-2016), joeybsyc (06-05-2016), sabasigh (06-11-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 PM
lowprofiling
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure the 1st guy has done anything wrong other then maybe having a printer issue is the problem.

There is 3rd place about an hour away each way, and a 4th about 1.5. I am kind of thinking that might be the way to go.

I did try to get a recommendation and actually got one from a forum member about a shop who has done 4-5 of his cars, but as I making the appointment, the guy eluded to he uses 3M, which I did not want so I was on my own if I wanted it done in a timely manner

The entire situation is just dumb. A simple job has to turn into such a hassle because everyone wants to scam.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by lowprofiling
I am not sure the 1st guy has done anything wrong other then maybe having a printer issue is the problem.

There is 3rd place about an hour away each way, and a 4th about 1.5. I am kind of thinking that might be the way to go.

I did try to get a recommendation and actually got one from a forum member about a shop who has done 4-5 of his cars, but as I making the appointment, the guy eluded to he uses 3M, which I did not want so I was on my own if I wanted it done in a timely manner

The entire situation is just dumb. A simple job has to turn into such a hassle because everyone wants to scam.
Hello, first off, I apologize for not receiving a more specific answer from our customer support phone call. I'm sorry for the strange things going on with your two installers, could you please PM us their information as well as yours. I want to have my local sales rep reach out to them and make sure they understand that this shouldn't happen.

Full car wraps take on average about 2-4 days depending on the installer. The printer, aka film plotter, to cut the film may be temporarily broken as they often encounter issues that are usually fixable pretty quickly.

What's your location and lets see if we can get something resolved for you and find you an installer that can take care of you.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM
rti35
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

The prices some of these installers want is totally ludicrous.. I got quoted $2K for the front bumper and hood only on my Z. Most cost effective way to protect your paint:

Stay off the expressway!

I've never once heard a rock chip while driving on the parkway in nicer weather. When it's winter time and the salt is out, different story.. but I won't be driving the C7 then anyway.

Last edited by rti35; 06-03-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:02 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Keep in mind these are what we typically see across the country and it can vary with these factors:
- Where you live
- Demand for paint protection film
- Size of your vehicle

For a partial front end: This includes 18-24” up the hood and fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $895 - $1,195.

For full front coverage: This includes the entire hood and front fenders, front bumper, mirrors and sometimes headlights. This ranges from $1,895 - $2,195.

For full car coverage: This includes every painted surface on the car possible. This ranges from $4,500 - $8,000.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:08 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Was about $3500 to do 90% of my car. I didn't do everything, but also had custom pieces made for areas typically not done.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:48 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

My car cost $5500 to do, I would balk at anything over $6000 and I'd seriously walk away from anything less than $4500 as they must be cutting corners (look up the material cost for a whole car its $3500-4000)

But you gotta do your research, and ask people who've used the shop before.

The guys I went to here in Metro Detroit to do some touch up work for me (arranged by my Nashville installer), said they actually heat gun the edges to "soften" them so they don't pick up as much dirt. I had them try to fix most of my edges and they do look better because of that (as they already were trimming some pieces).
Old 06-05-2016, 02:07 PM
PapaLeo67
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Seems like it would be cheaper to just repaint the car when you get paint damage...lol
Old 06-05-2016, 02:22 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Want the best? > SunTek
Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 PM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by lowprofiling
My new Z06 arrived from Ohio last Thursday night. I brought it home, taped up the front, side vents, and part of the rear portion for the drive down to the local Xpel installer Friday morning. He was going to install the Xpel, ceramic coat it, as well as ceramic the wheels. I am happy as can be, and was planning taking a nice cruise Friday night. I get a call around 3pm the Xpel printer is broken, he has been trying to get someone to fix it, however with the holiday its not going to happen. He said he would have the wheels finished, and I could pick it up Saturday morning. He said we could go to the bank, and he would refund me the deposit minus the fee for the wheels. I said don't worry about, just let me know when the printer is fixed. I happened to be near his shop on other business later that afternoon and stopped in. He was in the corner on the floor and had the rear wheel off which struck me odd, but I figured he was coating the entire wheel so great. I did ask if he knew the torque specs to put the wheel back on to which he says he does and he is having someone bring him a torque wrench, which again I found odd...you don't have a torque wrench? They had a giant Craftsman box in the shop.

The next morning I went down, taped up the car again and brought it home. While I am doing this, he is telling me about the $11K printer for the Xpel, and how he went to their class to learn all about it, etc. Nice guy. His main business detailing. he also mentions the business is a tad cut throat with some other local installers. He did not name names, and we were talking about business in general hence the reason it was brought up.

Today I called him as I was surprised I have not received any follow up. First call no answer, several hours later second call it seemed as if he sent me to VM so I just left a message, but started getting concerned. I decided I would call another place listed on Xpel's website because I want my car done as I have staring at it in the garage for week. So I mentioned I was working with someone else and what was going on, but did not mention the name. They quote 7K to do the entire car. This is twice what the first guy quoted me, and I told them that is too much of a difference and I would wait, but at the same time I am thinking you get what you pay for. The 2nd installer quickly drops his price to 4K, and says he'll need the car 4 days. I found it odd, they would dump the price that much and why do they need the car for 4 days? - seems long. We continue to talk and he ask me who the other guy, and actually guesses so I said yes that is who it is. 2nd installer tells me they received a text last Friday from the first installer asking what they would charge him (2nd installer) to do a car. Now I am thinking 1st installer saw a black car, all taped up and realized this person might be a stickler, got cold feet, and made up the printer was broken while he figured out what to do. 2nd installer also tells me that is the best printer you can get, he only has had it for 6 months and no way its broken already. I make an appointment to drop the car Monday morning with 2nd installer. 1st installer calls me back about an hour later, and said he meant to call me today, the printer is fixed, and he can do the car next Thursday. At this time I ask him point blank, did you call another Xpel installer to get the car done, they could not do it, and the printer was never broken. He answers 100% NO. At this point I don't know what the heck to think, 1 of these 2 shops is lying, and I have to figure out which one it is and trust them with my new car.

Also before I went with installer 1, I called Xpel to make sure their website is up to date and my installer is authorized in good standing. A receptionist answered and gave me some get off the phone answer, so that yielded nothing.

This entire thing is stupid
Your #1 installer must be Donald Trump and the #2 installer must be Hillary. I agree with others, RUN! Pick a third party and go with Gary Johnson. He might be stoned, but he will get the job done! He's a good guy and our former Governor down here in New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment.

Last edited by nmvettec7; 06-05-2016 at 02:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To XPEL Installers *@#%^*@ !!!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:08 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaLeo67
Seems like it would be cheaper to just repaint the car when you get paint damage...lol
Paint isn't cheap. Probably 2 to 3 times the cost of XPEL and obviously it's only good until it gets damaged again.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:12 PM
tones_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
^^This.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,551 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by C7Jake
Want the best? > SunTek
Hey just saw your car in your sig. Did you just paint the poverty splitter or is that a diff front splitter?

Quick Reply: XPEL Installers *@#%^*@ !!!