Allocation question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 PM
mdevens
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allocation question

Hello,

I'm really new to ordering a car and I asked some questions on another thread about my new order and now, I have a continuation of the story and really, just a question about allocation.

The car I ordered is a C7 2LT Z51 Manual trans.

I asked my dealer what is going on and what the status is with my order and if he had allocation. I ordered my car on May 14th and I found out (through this forum) that the status still is 1100 (which, i learned means GM hasn't accepted the order yet) as of early this week.

He responded with "sold orders are picked before normal retail orders regardless of allocation" and due to the constraints of z51 and the manual transmission (plus the release of the GS and new model year of 2017), it would be July when my car is ready.

So, is that true? Are sold orders picked first regardless of allocation?

Thank you for any info.. I'm really new to this.

Last edited by mdevens; 06-08-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Unless things have changed, NO. Sold orders are "picked up" only if the dealer has an allocation with all of the allowed constraint items on it. Then the dealer must place your order against that allocation.
The following users liked this post:
mdevens (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I agree! I got caught in the allocation process when I ordered my 2014. Took nine months to get that car and two dealers! Your dealer has insite to his allocations and can provide proof of. If he doesn't prove the allocation, cancel the order or be prepared to wait. My second dealer showed me the allocation and the date assigned to it, my order was picked up accordingly.
mdevens (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:22 PM
mdevens
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info!

I'll have to pressure the dealer more about his allocations. He didn't really answer the question about his allocations, just gave that statement saying sold orders will get filled regardless.

What sucks is, I gave the dealer a $500 deposit which, I'm not sure if i'll get back if i cancel. Mainly because I didn't know about how allocations worked when I ordered. However, from the sounds of it, might be worth it to swap.

Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Any of the forum dealers will have allocations and can get your order into GM. Like you, I initially ordered from my local guy without fully understanding how everything worked, cancelled it and bought from a forum dealer. I was at 2000 in a week, and the car was built really quickly after that. It might be worth a call or two to investigate and get some pricing. Good luck!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Unless things have changed, NO. Sold orders are "picked up" only if the dealer has an allocation with all of the allowed constraint items on it. Then the dealer must place your order against that allocation.
had to get the transparent top on my 2016 because colored tops were not available and my order would be on the back burner until color tops were available.

Last edited by alamo1974; 06-08-2016 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:49 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Here's what's going on: GM is currently not picking up ANY orders for Z51 cars or Grand Sports with manual transmission; in these cases it makes no difference whether the car is already sold or not. The latest intel shows this 0% constraint lasting "less than 4 weeks" per the National Constraints Report. Time will tell whether or not they start picking up orders for Z51s or Grand Sports with manuals any time soon.

When the constraint changes, it will likely switch from zero orders picked up to a limited number picked up; it's not likely that they'll go straight from zero availability to unlimited availability. When limited availability starts, GM will award allocations for manual transmission cars to dealers. There's no real logic to determining which dealers get them; it's definitely NOT a simple matter of sold orders getting priority from GM. Here's the somewhat sticky part: When a dealer is awarded allocation(s) that can include a Z51 or Grand Sport with manual transmission, it's up to that dealer to decide which among their waiting orders they're going to fill with those allocations(s). If they have multiple orders waiting (including one or more for dealer stock), they can match any of those order(s) with the awarded allocation(s). It makes no difference to GM which orders are matched up with the allocations.

I hope this makes sense. Feel free to send a PM if you'd like more info.
fdxpilot (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:35 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by mdevens
He responded with "sold orders are picked before normal retail orders regardless of allocation" and due to the constraints of z51 and the manual transmission (plus the release of the GS and new model year of 2017), it would be July when my car is ready.
So, is that true? Are sold orders picked first regardless of allocation?
Your dealer is lying to you - orders are picked up solely according to dealer allocation for that ordering cycle. If your dealer doesn't have allocation for what you want, it won't get picked up until your dealer does.
It doesn't matter whether it is an ordered car or dealer inventory car.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:40 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Where can I find contraints information other than from a dealer? Thank you.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I agree! I got caught in the allocation process when I ordered my 2014. Took nine months to get that car and two dealers! Your dealer has insite to his allocations and can provide proof of. If he doesn't prove the allocation, cancel the order or be prepared to wait. My second dealer showed me the allocation and the date assigned to it, my order was picked up accordingly.
Same happened to us with our 2014 C7 order (Oct 2013 to Jun 2014 wait at 1100). After learning that first dealer gave us run-around with his allocations, we requested deposite return. 2nd dealer showed us his allocations right away and we got our car (a '15 C7) 6 weeks after order was placed.
Everyone needs to assure their dealership has the necessary allocations, before placing their order.
Save The Wave
Heidi
Old 06-09-2016, 12:48 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by cor66vette
Where can I find contraints information other than from a dealer? Thank you.

See this thread: Constraint Reports (it is a sticky thread in C7 General).
Old 06-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Erock75
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My M7 Z51 was just built on Monday. Ordered the first week of May. My dealer had 1 Z51 allocation. I'm starting to feel fortunate I ordered when I did. I believe the 17 order window started on May 26th. So it sounds like the dealer doesn't have allocation and unfortunately the constraint on the M7 doesn't help either. I almost waited for a 17 but glad now that I didnt. Dealers that aren't honest about their allocations have no place in my world. But on the bright side you'll be in a new vette sometime soon and this will all be in the past.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:58 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
See this thread: Constraint Reports (it is a sticky thread in C7 General).
Thank you for that.

Get notified of new replies

To Allocation question

Quick Reply: Allocation question