Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking foward to iOS 10 this Fall.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts
Default Looking foward to iOS 10 this Fall.

Apple made it official today they will release iOS 10 this fall. IOS 10 will be a major upgraded to the current iOS packed with new features and enhancements. One's of the major enhancements will be Apple Maps.

Apple Maps is getting an all-new design in iOS 10. Eddy Cue (head of Apple's SW group) says the new Maps is "a lot more proactive." Rather like Siri and Photos already are: a lot more predictive stuff being introduced. Maps will offer nearby restaurant suggestions and its redesigned look is extending to navigation: the UI is cleaner and includes traffic information. If there's a lot of traffic ahead, Maps will proactively offer you an alternative route and note how much time it would save. It's part of Apple CarPlay, naturally, and will also channel turn-by-turn directions right into your car's instrument cluster if you want it. Maps, like Siri, is being opened up to developers, who can now make use of its extensions. That will allow you to book and pay for a restaurant, book and pay for a Uber ride, and then track your ride, all without leaving the Maps app
The following users liked this post:
HoustonMidtown (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:48 AM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Curious on how the directions will be able to display on dash. Will surely need a MyLink update to accomplish this.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:52 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

WAZE>Apple Maps
Old 06-14-2016, 09:01 AM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by C7s
Curious on how the directions will be able to display on dash. Will surely need a MyLink update to accomplish this.
I don't think it will, CarPlay is a "projection" system, displaying what would be on the phone onto the Infotainment system, its the "content" Apple is changing, not the system.

I think "dash" in the earlier post was intended to refer to the Infotainment system, not the DIC.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:18 PM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan
I don't think it will, CarPlay is a "projection" system, displaying what would be on the phone onto the Infotainment system, its the "content" Apple is changing, not the system.

I think "dash" in the earlier post was intended to refer to the Infotainment system, not the DIC.
Apple specifically said it would also display on the DIC during their WWDC presentation -- they didn't say what cars would be compatible with that feature though

These are the new user and developer CarPlay features:
CarPlay app reordering
CarPlay on ultrawide screens
CarPlay Maps instrument cluster

Last edited by HoustonMidtown; 06-14-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:52 PM
JoeCT
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

In dash is what they demoed. As noted, they didn't speak to compatibility but since MyLink with Nav already does this (in instrument cluster and HUD), I imagine there's a chance it could be supported. That's what's great about software, you don't always need new hardware. 😉
Old 06-14-2016, 01:58 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Apple made it official today they will release iOS 10 this fall. IOS 10 will be a major upgraded to the current iOS packed with new features and enhancements. One's of the major enhancements will be Apple Maps.

Apple Maps is getting an all-new design in iOS 10. Eddy Cue (head of Apple's SW group) says the new Maps is "a lot more proactive." Rather like Siri and Photos already are: a lot more predictive stuff being introduced. Maps will offer nearby restaurant suggestions and its redesigned look is extending to navigation: the UI is cleaner and includes traffic information. If there's a lot of traffic ahead, Maps will proactively offer you an alternative route and note how much time it would save. It's part of Apple CarPlay, naturally, and will also channel turn-by-turn directions right into your car's instrument cluster if you want it. Maps, like Siri, is being opened up to developers, who can now make use of its extensions. That will allow you to book and pay for a restaurant, book and pay for a Uber ride, and then track your ride, all without leaving the Maps app
Congratulations Apple! Looks like you might just catch up to where Google Maps is...

Originally Posted by JoeCT
In dash is what they demoed. As noted, they didn't speak to compatibility but since MyLink with Nav already does this (in instrument cluster and HUD), I imagine there's a chance it could be supported. That's what's great about software, you don't always need new hardware. 😉
I'd be curious to see it display in the DIC.

I'd be really impressed if they displayed it in the HUD!

(I wish Android Auto would do this!)

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-14-2016 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:51 PM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
Apple specifically said it would also display on the DIC during their WWDC presentation -- they didn't say what cars would be compatible with that feature though

These are the new user and developer CarPlay features:
CarPlay app reordering
CarPlay on ultrawide screens
CarPlay Maps instrument cluster
Sorry, I did not know that. Knowing that now, I tend to agree, it will likely require an update to the infotainment system as well, which might warrant a whole car upgrade!

Last edited by l.i. bruce fan; 06-14-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It adds 20hp too.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:34 PM
sabasigh
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Anything on wireless CarPlay?
Old 06-14-2016, 11:38 PM
Chip E.
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

WAZE for the win!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:45 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

My fingers are crossed hoping the update doesn't screw up the functionality of my iPhone with the current CarPlay version that's in my car now. When Apple went to iOS9, I completely lost all texting functions on my BMW and the Podcast app is now close to useless.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:27 AM
Wilkmanracing
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish Apple would do something about its limited battery life. That's the big thing that keeps me from leaving the Android world.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:55 AM
HoustonMidtown
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilkmanracing
I wish Apple would do something about its limited battery life. That's the big thing that keeps me from leaving the Android world.
My 6S lasts all day and the Plus versions have an even better, longer lasting battery
Old 06-15-2016, 09:27 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

To each their own, but I can think of so many other things to get excited about when I get behind the wheel of my Vette.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 PM
Wilkmanracing
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Battery Life on My Motorola Maxx

Originally Posted by HoustonMidtown
My 6S lasts all day and the Plus versions have an even better, longer lasting battery
Depending on how I use my phone, I get up to two days battery life on my Motorola Maxx. It's never a problem if I forget to charge it over night. Hopefully Apple will approach the level of battery life soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking foward to iOS 10 this Fall.

Quick Reply: Looking foward to iOS 10 this Fall.