C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return to Spring Mountain for a second Corvette Owners School?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:44 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Default Return to Spring Mountain for a second Corvette Owners School?

Last year I went to Spring Mountain for the Corvette Owners School and drove a z51 Stingray. I traded in my Stingray for a new ZO6 and once again qualify for the Corvette Owners School but would be driving a ZO6. As I recall, the ZO6s were in the same class as the Stingrays. Given that, I wouldn't be driving any faster around the track than the Stingrays. Do you think it would be worth going back to the school again?
Old 06-25-2016, 11:42 AM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,516 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Last year I went to Spring Mountain for the Corvette Owners School and drove a z51 Stingray. I traded in my Stingray for a new ZO6 and once again qualify for the Corvette Owners School but would be driving a ZO6. As I recall, the ZO6s were in the same class as the Stingrays. Given that, I wouldn't be driving any faster around the track than the Stingrays. Do you think it would be worth going back to the school again?
I would go back just for the time on the track with a Z06. I'll get another discount for the class with my 2017 Grand Sport order and to me, it's just another great excuse to go back.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:48 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Why don't you go back and take one of the more advanced courses?
Old 06-25-2016, 11:48 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Hell yah, as above worth the track time in someone else's Z. Plus they do try to separate groups so if you can drive it faster then when you where in a stingray you will be in a faster group.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:53 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Track time will be great. The classroom time...probably not so much. But I think I would do it.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

For $1k I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:43 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.

Originally Posted by L8ter
Why don't you go back and take one of the more advanced courses?
level 2 in a Z06 is $3,200. Plus airfare, Plus Rental Car, Plus food, plus two extra Nights in a hotel. That equals about 4 grand. I can get 20 days of track time at a local track for that kind of money.

Originally Posted by fugly1
Track time will be great. The classroom time...probably not so much. But I think I would do it.
there just isn't that much track time in the Corvette owners School.

Originally Posted by Woodson
plus airfare Plus Rental Car Plus food in two more nights accommodations. That equals about 2 Grand total.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:43 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Do a level 2 course.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:46 PM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

level 2 in a Z06 is $3,200. Plus airfare, Plus Rental Car, Plus food, plus two extra Nights in a hotel. That equals about 4 grand. I can get 20 days of track time at a local track for that kind of money.there just isn't that much track time in the Corvette owners School.plus airfare Plus Rental Car Plus food in two more nights accommodations. That equals about 2 Grand total.
You can apply the Owners school funds to a level 2 course. I did and it was about $1600 if I recall.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:10 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by daleong
You can apply the Owners school funds to a level 2 course. I did and it was about $1600 if I recall.
$1600 is to drive a Z51 after you apply the owners school funds to the level 2 school. It's $3200 to drive a Z06 after your apply the Owners school funds for the level 2 course.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:23 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Thought you were looking for advice. Seems like your mind is already made up.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

level 2 in a Z06 is $3,200. Plus airfare, Plus Rental Car, Plus food, plus two extra Nights in a hotel. That equals about 4 grand. I can get 20 days of track time at a local track for that kind of money.

there just isn't that much track time in the Corvette owners School.

plus airfare Plus Rental Car Plus food in two more nights accommodations. That equals about 2 Grand total.
20 days of track time is about 10 sets of tires. Did you factor that in?
Old 06-25-2016, 04:03 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

$1600 is to drive a Z51 after you apply the owners school funds to the level 2 school. It's $3200 to drive a Z06 after your apply the Owners school funds for the level 2 course.
Depending on how proficient your track skills are, it still might be fun with the Z51.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Ceptor
Team Owner

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Woodson

I just got back... spent last Friday and Saturday there.
Great time... I was in a Manual Stingray...and was moved up to a faster group. We were on the 1.5 mile West track which is very technical.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

You get put with people that are as fast as you, so it's still gonna be fun. I was with a bunch of Z06 guys driving a red M7 Z51 (#37), but I don't think I held em up too much. Only a couple times when I drove into a corner too hot and screwed my line. Sometimes I was even walking away from em. I drove my *** off though...
Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM
beadman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Do a level 2 course.
If you are counting on the "extensive" open lapping as advertised for the level 2 course, forget about it.

When I took the level 2 class open lapping did not start till about 1:30 after a LONG lunch. First session was ended after 2 laps when someone failed at throttle steering and spun, session ended.

Second session ditto. Session ended for gravel on the track.

Came back in and was told that that session completed the open lapping part of the course!

I asked an instructor if since the only 2 open lapping sessions were cut short could we go out again, and he looked at me like I was speaking in Chinese and couldn't understand me! Day was ended by 3 o'clock with about 5 open laps, none of which was a clean one, many slow drivers.

Level 1 was a great value, level 2 not so much. Classroom the same as level 1 with almost no open tracking as advertised.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

^^interesting because that's what I was counting on. Can anyone else from the level 2 chime in?

Get notified of new replies

To Return to Spring Mountain for a second Corvette Owners School?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:37 PM
beadman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No Zs in level 2

Originally Posted by beadman
If you are counting on the "extensive" open lapping as advertised for the level 2 course, forget about it.

When I took the level 2 class open lapping did not start till about 1:30 after a LONG lunch. First session was ended after 2 laps when someone failed at throttle steering and spun, session ended.

Came back in and was told that that session completed the open lapping part of the course!

I asked an instructor if since the only 2 open lapping sessions were cut short could we go out again, and he looked at me like I was speaking in Chinese and couldn't understand me! Day was ended by 3 o'clock with about 5 open laps, none of which was a clean one, many slow drivers.

Level 1 was a great value, level 2 not so much. Classroom the same as level 1 with almost no open tracking as advertised.

Forgot to add that if you are a Z owner you still drive a Stingray in level 2.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:05 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

That's kind of a bummer to hear. It's huge chunk of money (to me at least) to really get more of the same, other than I suppose they won't bitch if you use 2nd gear in the level 2. Maybe if I do it again, I go for the 3 day level one.

There's also lot of other HPDE type places to choose from. My dad sent me this Autoweek article and there's all kinds of stuff like this with competitive pricing. There's a place where you can allegedly do 90 minutes of track time in a P-car like a 911S for under $500. Not bad... 2 days of that would be similar track time as the 2 day Spring Mtn Corvette school.
The following users liked this post:
beadman (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

that pretty well decides it for me. I won't be going back.

Quick Reply: Return to Spring Mountain for a second Corvette Owners School?