Sponsored by:

Rt 66 In Reverse - Oil Change Prior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 02:28 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Rt 66 In Reverse - Oil Change Prior?

July 11th leaving Santa Monica for Chicago. Rt 66. That trip, along with a long side trip returning to AZ, likely 5000+ miles in three weeks.

Currently 4500 miles on my '16. Oil life monitor says 45%.

Do I change the oil before the trip? There will be close to 10k miles when I get back to AZ in August. Changing the oil, During the trip, is not a viable option.

I'm thinking yes, but bunch of you know more than I do, so appreciate any opinions.

Last edited by WMark; 06-26-2016 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I'd change it now. Cheap enough insurance against the unknown and unknowable.

Enjoy the trip. I'm envious.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:25 AM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Trip sounds real nice...can I tag along?
Change the oil. Highway driving ( more engine rpms ) and side trips on twisties, and other varying road conditions will get your oil life monitor clicking away at your oil's life count...I would expect it read 5% by the time you hit 7.500 on your odometer.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

If you change now your throwing away 50% of the available usefulness of your current oil (changing oil is a pain). Constant temperature and minimum stop/start cycles will slow the oil life monitor's countdown. I would think your oil life monitor will still show a positive percentage of oil life remaining at the conclusion of your trip. In any event a few miles over will not hurt anything.

Last edited by Larry/car; 06-26-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:25 AM
terrywerst
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

You'll be fine with the trip at 45%. Change it when you get back.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:36 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I would say change it before you leave on the trip as you most likely have a local place that you trust to do your oil changes. On the road, who knows what you might run into. Plus, why take the time out of your schedule to have an oil change done on the road, when there is so much other stuff to do and see. Who wants to spend time sitting in a dealer's waiting room when they could be looking at the scenery, etc.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:03 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

We're heading out to Route 66 in Sept. By then mine should have approx 1500 miles on the odo. I plan on changing it before I leave just for my peace of mind. And, as Joe said, why take time out of your fun. Enjoy your trip.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 06-26-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:19 AM
JHundertmark
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Agree with those saying change oil before you go as it cannot hurt. You get to chose place to change that you're comfortable with (your own garage, local dealer, local shop), & it will give you one less thing to worry about on the trip.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

I trust you'll be starting from here. I don't know why they say "End of the trail"...
Old 06-26-2016, 11:37 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria

I trust you'll be starting from here. I don't know why they say "End of the trail"...
Springfield, Missouri is the birthplace of route 66, so it makes sense to have California labeled as the end of trail(west). But then, if Springfield, MO is the birthplace, then Chicago would also be the trails end(east).
Old 06-26-2016, 12:14 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by defaria

That's where we're starting, after driving from Scottsdale to Santa Monica. I believe it is the end because the highway originated in the Midwest. As JoesC5 says, the decision to call it Route 66 was made in Springfield, MO. The other reason it is "the end," is that more people migrated West vs East. Think "Grapes of Wrath."
Old 06-26-2016, 12:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
If you change now your throwing away 50% of the available usefulness of your current oil (changing oil is a pain). Constant temperature and minimum stop/start cycles will slow the oil life monitor's countdown. I would think your oil life monitor will still show a positive percentage of oil life remaining at the conclusion of your trip. In any event a few miles over will not hurt anything.
Even if the OP goes somewhat over, no big deal as those are good miles as you say with minimum starts and stops. It's the short trips and numerous starts where the oil doesn't get to full temp that are the problem.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-26-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks to all for the advice. Logical opinions to go either way. I forgot about another 300 mile trip over the 4th, so I'll change it before the big trip. As mentioned, hate to waste the good oil left, but peace of mind will make for a more enjoyable trip.

Again, thanks to all!

The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:49 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

You should still have a free change or two coming. I have had mine changed twice while road tripping. Both were done by competent Chevy dealers. I say that because I checked the oil level after pick up and they were spot on (no overfill). I requested no additional services and verified that Mobil 1 was used. They were happy to accommodate me.

These Corvettes have been around for almost 3 years now and I believe that most dealers get it right. It's very easy to plan your trip and find a dealer to do it. I made appointments both times as was in and out in less than an hour.

Happy motoring!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:54 PM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

Changed oil before my 6000 mile trip including Rt 66 through Arizona. Oil indicator went from 100% to 18% at end of the two week trip
WMark (06-26-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 12:26 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by WMark
July 11th leaving Santa Monica for Chicago. Rt 66. That trip, along with a long side trip returning to AZ, likely 5000+ miles in three weeks.

Currently 4500 miles on my '16. Oil life monitor says 45%.

Do I change the oil before the trip? There will be close to 10k miles when I get back to AZ in August. Changing the oil, During the trip, is not a viable option.

I'm thinking yes, but bunch of you know more than I do, so appreciate any opinions.

Well I drove mine home from KC to Seattle when I bought the car 3200 miles and did my 1st oil change !!! Then in October 2015 I was about to take a 4200 mile trip from Seattle to Wichita and back and did my oil change before I left !!! I have 14,000 miles on My 14 Z-51 !!! Have a happy trip do your oil change before you leave !!!! Wayne
WMark (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by WMark
That's where we're starting, after driving from Scottsdale to Santa Monica. I believe it is the end because the highway originated in the Midwest. As JoesC5 says, the decision to call it Route 66 was made in Springfield, MO. The other reason it is "the end," is that more people migrated West vs East. Think "Grapes of Wrath."
If this is where you're starting your trip it is by default the beginning of the trail (for you). Since I'm close by if you want drop me a line... I always like meeting fellow vette owners...

I actually snapped that photo this weekend while my vette was in the shop fixing a slow leak on the driver's side rear wheel. Ran over a nail apparently. I wonder if plugging it is enough but I want to be buying sets tires when needed, not different tires at odd times...

Speaking of this repair shop - Firestone in Santa Monica - I believe in giving credit where credit is due as well as blame where blame is due. I don't know how to call this one exactly...

You see I arrived there about noon and was told they could fix the tire but they were very busy today and short staffed. I said, "Well I could go for a lunch here and come back later to drop off the car". They agreed and I went for a quick lunch. I came back around 12:45 Pm and dropped off the car. They said the repair was supposed to be around $30 but I figured with labor it'd probably be closer to $100 or so... I asked how long it would take and they said about an hour so I went for a walk and ended up at the Santa Monica Pier where I took that photo.

When I returned an hour later the car had not yet budged. Another gentleman was also there and very upset that other cars seemed to be getting serviced before his. He had complained that he was there since about 9 am and had had nothing done yet, etc. I felt bad as my wait (now about 2:30 Pm) was not as long as his but I was told one hour and it's closer to 2 hours now. And I had that lunch before. I did not plan to spend all afternoon waiting for a simple flat to be fixed. Honestly I thought to myself that I could just set up an appt for Sunday and come back but by then they had taken the car into the shop so I figured I'd wait it out.

When they were done they were ringing me up and to my surprise presented me with a bill for $0.00! I was just about to post a bad/negative review on Yelp as I was also upset that it was taking this long but they did the work for free so I didn't know what to say and thought "At least this is a business who recognized the inconvenience they caused and made and effort to make amends".

Later I approached that other guy who was still waiting and informed him of what they shop did not charging me a penny and said that he should look forward to some sort of discount. He thanked me.

What do you think?

Get notified of new replies

To Rt 66 In Reverse - Oil Change Prior?

Old 06-27-2016, 09:40 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

I wouldn't recommend doing the route in reverse. The aero isn't designed for the airflow backwards like that. I imagine your transmission will overheat within the first few miles.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ///ADMAN
I wouldn't recommend doing the route in reverse. The aero isn't designed for the airflow backwards like that. I imagine your transmission will overheat within the first few miles.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 PM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I'd change it now. Cheap enough insurance against the unknown and unknowable.

Enjoy the trip. I'm envious.
WMark (06-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Rt 66 In Reverse - Oil Change Prior?