Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:30 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

If Chevrolet comes out with a mid engine car I don't think they will call it a corvette.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:42 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Weight balance is one thing, but inertia is another. Even with perfect weight balance, if the mass is concentrated at each end vs. concentrating the mass in the center, that affects the rotational properties of the car. It has a significant influence on the way a car responds to inputs.

The ACR is basically a race car due it's massive down-force; it's aerodynamic features are extremely aggressive and limit top end speed. Now, is the average person on the street or a short track going to go faster in a midengine versus front/rear, not necessarily, but it's not just the speed, but the feel of the car, how stable and responsive it is. Those characteristics tend to be superior in a midengine configuration.

Last edited by jivor; 08-24-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:41 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by jivor
Weight balance is one thing, but inertia is another. Even with perfect weight balance, if the mass is concentrated at each end vs. concentrating the mass in the center, that affects the rotational properties of the car. It has a significant influence on the way a car responds to inputs.

The ACR is basically a race car due it's massive down-force; it's aerodynamic features are extremely aggressive and limit top end speed. Now, is the average person on the street or a short track going to go faster in a midengine versus front/rear, not necessarily, but it's not just the speed, but the feel of the car, how stable and responsive it is. Those characteristics tend to be superior in a midengine configuration.
I would argue an FMR with 50/50 weight and modern suspension technology can "wash out" most of the moment of inertia gains you get from a true MR with 50/50 weight. Corvette with a few tweaks could be a true FMR car as opposed to being nearly one now (front of engine sits just on top of instead of behind the front axle plane)

As long as the bulk of the weight is centrally located moment of inertia is close to ideal. MR isn't perfectly central either.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:18 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 16sedanSS
Considering both Bob Lutz and Tadge Jeuchter said going to mid-engine would only add $5,000 to the car, this "writer" is a complete idiot and should be terminated.
I just enjoyed reading the article. Baruth probably knows a little more about the market for cars than, say, you or me.

Either way, just enjoy the article or not. Mox nix to me, brother.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:10 AM
DesertDog56
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Top Speed vs. Top Road Speed

Originally Posted by Dave_the_Dude
Things start to get pretty grey when you are talking about "track performance" and "front engine / RWD".

Are we talking about production street cars? Because if we are, then currently, the Z06 and Viper ACR are the fastest production cars in the world on a road course / track. They are both front-engine/RWD layouts. Both have recorded faster lap times than any of the mid-engine supercars mentioned earlier. No supercar on the market is faster on actual race tracks.

Someone posted top speeds but that has nothing to do with engine location - it's all about gearing and engine design itself.

It's also somewhat misleading to use track performance as the metric by which to measure overall "handling" performance (that seems to be the argument being made). Tracks and streets are nothing alike.

I can reach speeds on a highway that I could never reach on any race track, first of all. Lots of long straights on I-5 means I can get my Vette up to 180mph on a pretty regular basis, if I'm willing to take the risk. You'll never see those kind of straights on a road course.

Most race tracks are designed with lots of turns back to back with a single or maybe two long straight sections. Civil/Highway engineers design freeways the total opposite - turns over the longest distance possible (smallest radius), and far apart as possible.

Some tracks are designed specifically to challenge suspension designs of open-wheel racers with inclines/declines and banks shortly before/after apex, etc. Civil/Highway engineers design public roadways to eliminate banks and minimize inclines/declines, especially around corners.

The ("handling limitation") analogy of Ford's use of a solid rear axle is faulty. The live rear axle on the Mustang had noticeable and measurable impact on the Mustang's handling, well before the car had reached other physical limitations (for example, traction). It was the primary limitation in the Mustang's track performance. The new Mustang showed significant measurable improvements once they adopted IRS.

Going to a mid-engine design, by itself, would not show a comparable improvement in the Corvette (to going IRS in the Ford). The main reason to go with a mid-engine design is to perfect weight to an optimal 50/50 balance front-to-rear. The Corvette is already so close to 50/50 that the difference here would be negligible. So removing the weight bias of the FE layout in the Vette isn't removing a significant limitation, it is at best a very minor tweak.

It's getting pretty crazy regarding advertised top speeds these days with top speeds listed in excess of 200 mph. (How about that Bugatti Veyron at around 250 mph?) There was an interesting Road & Track video on You Tube with a supercar (I think it was a BMW i8). The point was, on a closed 1.2 mile road that was fairly straight albeit with some mild curves, they couldn't get the car any where near 200 mph. The same was true on the race track. Unless you want to drive on two+ mile runways, speeds like that aren't even useful except maybe for bragging rights. I think the ultimate goal would be to make cars that are the fastest on any moderate race track.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:05 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Just to add a little fuel to the fire, Peter DeLorenzo at Autoextremist is a reader email reply, stated the following:

"Editor-In-Chief's Note: Yes, the mid-engine C8 Corvette not only exists, it will make its official debut as a 2019 model at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2018. (A super-hot version of the current C7 Corvette will debut next January at Cobo Hall to tide the Corvette faithful over until the mid-engine C8 arrives.) The new C8 will employ many of the recent technological developments in advanced materials and construction gleaned by GM's True Believers while developing the structure of the Cadillac CT6. By all reports from my moles inside GM the new mid-engine Corvette is a beautiful, even stunning, car with the performance capability worthy of the first mid-engine Corvette in history. There will be, of course, a gradual rollout of the various powertrain iterations from 2019 through 2022, including an eventual AWD Hybrid version, but the important thing to know about the new mid-engine Corvette is that not only will it be a formidable beast, but it will stay within the realm of reasonable pricing, which is a key detail that will shock enthusiast consumers. The idea of this car has been discussed for 40 years within the hallways of GM Design and Product Development, but I am happy to report that the time has finally arrived for a mid-engine Corvette. As for rumors that the C7 will continue to be built alongside the new Corvette? That is absolutely not true. As for a mid-engine Cadillac halo vehicle using the underpinnings of the C8? That machine exists as a design only, and no decision has been made as to whether or not the car will actually be built. Given what I said in my deep-dive on Cadillac in my "Rant" and "Fumes" this week, I'd have to seriously question the efficacy of doing a car like that. -PMD"

Take it for what it's worth.
The following users liked this post:
z51vett (12-09-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:27 AM
gurneyeagle
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Just to add a little fuel to the fire, Peter DeLorenzo at Autoextremist is a reader email reply, stated the following:

"Editor-In-Chief's Note: Yes, the mid-engine C8 Corvette not only exists, it will make its official debut as a 2019 model at the Detroit Auto Show in January 2018. (A super-hot version of the current C7 Corvette will debut next January at Cobo Hall to tide the Corvette faithful over until the mid-engine C8 arrives.) The new C8 will employ many of the recent technological developments in advanced materials and construction gleaned by GM's True Believers while developing the structure of the Cadillac CT6. By all reports from my moles inside GM the new mid-engine Corvette is a beautiful, even stunning, car with the performance capability worthy of the first mid-engine Corvette in history. There will be, of course, a gradual rollout of the various powertrain iterations from 2019 through 2022, including an eventual AWD Hybrid version, but the important thing to know about the new mid-engine Corvette is that not only will it be a formidable beast, but it will stay within the realm of reasonable pricing, which is a key detail that will shock enthusiast consumers. The idea of this car has been discussed for 40 years within the hallways of GM Design and Product Development, but I am happy to report that the time has finally arrived for a mid-engine Corvette. As for rumors that the C7 will continue to be built alongside the new Corvette? That is absolutely not true. As for a mid-engine Cadillac halo vehicle using the underpinnings of the C8? That machine exists as a design only, and no decision has been made as to whether or not the car will actually be built. Given what I said in my deep-dive on Cadillac in my "Rant" and "Fumes" this week, I'd have to seriously question the efficacy of doing a car like that. -PMD"

Considering Peter's CONSIDERABLE contacts within GM, I would say his reporting carries a lot of weight.

Now why this upsets folks on the forum is beyond me. Moving the Corvette ever higher up the sports car food chain should be looked upon as a good thing.

For those diehards that prefer the traditional front-engine layout, it looks like you have a few more years to get your "last" front-engine Corvette. Considering the age demographics on Corvettes, that probably means their last car anyway.

Change is good; embrace it.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:30 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

PMD usually knows what he's talking about he has enough contact. If this is true than the "objective" of the program has changed. Granted the original mid-engine car was a MY2017 (to have been released in July 2016) and supposed to be the ZR1 for the C7 generation. Powertrain issues forced a dely and the program may have been recast. With the appearance of the latest mules of an even faster "Z06" this may be more true. However to my knowledge the Y2XX program and the ZERV are still separate programs, I wouldn't bet on the mid-engine being the only C8. Maybe it's the introduction to the C8 with the low-cost front-engine version actually launching "second" to the high-cost mid-engine version.

The part about Cadillac is interesting, because from an engineering perspective they are in the same division (Dave Leone is VP of Performance and Cadillac) so both versions could be developed simultaneously by a single team (in this case the "Corvette" team under Performance). Under design they are separated, but if there is a design for the car, it probably exists and will be built.

I'm still wondering what the powertrains will be (as that's the biggest unknown) for the C7 faster "Z06," the Camaro "Z/28" and the Mid-Engine Car(s).
The following users liked this post:
gurneyeagle (08-25-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 08:56 AM
mrbeautie
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
The cost to GM may only be $5000, but where does GM want to place the mid engined car in the market? GM has to decide if they want a limited run at $400,000 like the Ford GT or more volume at $150,000.
I think to make it a worthwhile endeavour for GM to pump the amount of cash required to create the totally new C8 platform will result in a car that will be be substantially more than a $5000 upgrade. I would think $50 to $100 grand more.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 AM
DesertDog56
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Word on a Plug-In C8 Hybrid Corvette

http://www.hybridcars.com/2019-chevr...hybrid-option/
Old 08-27-2016, 05:33 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrbeautie
I think to make it a worthwhile endeavour for GM to pump the amount of cash required to create the totally new C8 platform will result in a car that will be be substantially more than a $5000 upgrade. I would think $50 to $100 grand more.
I agree. $5k in the world of GM is a lunch tab.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:20 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I would be interested in know what the price will be also if that's true would the C7 be a collectors as being the last front engine/rear drive Corvette, I'm guessing no.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:51 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Maybe in 40 years, so our grandkids can do the whole barn find thing.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:36 PM
promocop
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Can't wait for the middle C8. It's about time! And I'm old but I want a new platform. My C7 will be my kids barn find
Old 08-30-2016, 08:21 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by themonk
I would be interested in know what the price will be also if that's true would the C7 be a collectors as being the last front engine/rear drive Corvette, I'm guessing no.
Your guess will be correct because contrary to what the "expert" guess says, the C7 will soldier on into 2021. I still believe the body panel manufacturer who stated in their building disclosure document that the current panels will continue to be manufactured through 2021.

Personally, I would prefer that the C7 be a short run making the existing C7s that much more desirable, especially since I have a M7 which will probably be discontinued with the next gen Vette, but I think GM/Chevrolet is committed to a lower priced Corvette even if it takes two models. Besides, GM/Chevrolet appears to be following the Porsche marketing model and that model includes multiple platforms. So I don't think the expert got that part right.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadbike56:
Foosh (08-30-2016), JoesC5 (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
I would argue an FMR with 50/50 weight and modern suspension technology can "wash out" most of the moment of inertia gains you get from a true MR with 50/50 weight. Corvette with a few tweaks could be a true FMR car as opposed to being nearly one now (front of engine sits just on top of instead of behind the front axle plane)

As long as the bulk of the weight is centrally located moment of inertia is close to ideal. MR isn't perfectly central either.
most mmr layouts have about 42/58 weight distribution, and the amount of the weight that the front wheels carry is centered farther back than in fmr. these are two major reasons why the steering is more positive and quicker in the mmr. when initiating a turn, cars don't pivot around an axis point centered between the front and rear axles; the actual pivot point is at the rear axles (unless the car also has rear wheel steering), so when initiating a turn in a mmr, you have a dual advantage of less weight to move up front where it matters and more weight in the rear where it is not so significant.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:01 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by zdeckich
If Chevrolet comes out with a mid engine car I don't think they will call it a corvette.
current latest reports say its codename is "emporer", with the zora being the upscale model, both corvettes.

cadillac version is a possibility (probability?)

Get notified of new replies

To The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette

Old 08-30-2016, 02:04 PM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Like I've said before, you'll probably get two trims. I don't see GM investing in a totally new configuration and restrict it just to a halo model like Ford is doing with the GT.

I think you will see a mass produced mid-engine around 85K, and if that is the case, assuming they can dial in the performance to match, it's going to blow the socks off even the venerable 911.

We shall see...
Old 09-01-2016, 11:06 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

I'm not big on the mid-engine idea for this car, but I will confess, I'm eager to see what it does. I hope they stay away from the sharp angle/Cadillac styling that has taken over at GM, and make it smooth and beautiful rather than sharp and angry. Nothing against the C7, mind you. But the Caddies that came after the Eldo died don't do a thing for me in the looks department. The XLR was pretty cool looking though.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:07 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jivor
...it's going to blow the socks off even the venerable 911.
Yes, and it better! Just think, you can go fast and save ~$100k for upgrades to go faster.

Quick Reply: The First Ever Photos of the Mid-Engine Corvette