Transmisson Jerks violently putting car into Drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:41 AM
lpabsolute
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Transmisson Jerks violently putting car into Drive

Hello,

I have a 2015 Corvette Coupe Z51 Automatic. I'm the second owner and was purchased from chevy dealership. Car has 9K miles on it now. I have recently started experiencing something rather odd. For the past two weeks I have noticed when I get into my car, start it up, and move the shifter from "P" to "D" the car goes into gear, then about 3-4 seconds later there is a huge jerk motion that moves the entire car. Now this only happens when the car has sit up for awhile, usually over night. This also happens if the car has been remote started and sits idle for a few minutes before I get in the car to leave. Also happens if I quickly place the car in "D" or if I slowly move from "P" to "R" to "N" to "D". Like I said its a violent jerk motion. if you had a drink sitting on the middle console it would turn over. After the car has been driven for a few minutes however and turned off and then turned back on the car does not do this. Also if you drive it all day turning it on and off it doesn't do this. Only with the first start up of the day. Please help. I've heard that it can be taken into dealership and have the transmission "reflashed"? Is this true? I purchased the car from the dealership and have had no issues other than this. Wanted to see if anyone else has had any similar issues and know of any fixes. Thank you for your time/help.

Lance

Last edited by lpabsolute; 06-30-2016 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Updated
The following 2 users liked this post by lpabsolute:
1SG_Ret (06-28-2016), jlew64 (06-06-2017)

Popular Reply

06-28-2016, 05:29 AM
lpabsolute
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
Gee, no posts since 06-30-2014, and now three on your jerky A8 transmission. You must have missed all three thousand some odd threads about similar problems with the A8.

I never thought I'd say it 'cause it really sucks, but did you use the search box?

I'd say it's likely the reason your car got traded in so early. Did you check the service history?

WelderGuy,

I came to the site searching for answers to my problem. Not to get a smart *** reply such as yours. As you can tell I've been a memeber for 10+ years. So yes i know how to use the search box. But nothing specific came up, so hence the new thread. Not sure why you would even waste the time with a comment that in no way helped me find a solution to my issue. The car has only recently done this in the past 2 weeks, not the entire time. If the car was doing this during my test drive or the second or third day of purchase it would be a different story. There is no service history on the car for any issue such as this.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:45 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Gee, no posts since 06-30-2014, and now three on your jerky A8 transmission. You must have missed all three thousand some odd threads about similar problems with the A8.

I never thought I'd say it 'cause it really sucks, but did you use the search box?

I'd say it's likely the reason your car got traded in so early. Did you check the service history?

Last edited by WelderGuy; 06-28-2016 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:57 AM
Bunk
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 69 Posts

True funny burn
Old 06-28-2016, 05:29 AM
lpabsolute
Burning Brakes

WelderGuy,

I came to the site searching for answers to my problem. Not to get a smart *** reply such as yours. As you can tell I've been a memeber for 10+ years. So yes i know how to use the search box. But nothing specific came up, so hence the new thread. Not sure why you would even waste the time with a comment that in no way helped me find a solution to my issue. The car has only recently done this in the past 2 weeks, not the entire time. If the car was doing this during my test drive or the second or third day of purchase it would be a different story. There is no service history on the car for any issue such as this.
The following 13 users liked this post by lpabsolute:
AWOL (09-15-2017), bjones7131 (09-15-2017), Boucherman (06-30-2016), DanZR1 (09-15-2017), Harbgrogan (11-18-2019), Joy c7 (06-29-2016), Kwagnerhvac (06-28-2016), Landru (06-28-2016), rogergcam (06-30-2016), Rossi6998 (09-15-2017), traronf (06-29-2016), TyBoo (06-29-2016), Vetteman2 (06-29-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-28-2016, 06:20 AM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

The torque-converter could be bad, get a good dealer to fix it. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) on this issue that a dealer can lookup.

Last edited by proexpert; 06-28-2016 at 06:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Landru (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 AM
FiveStar
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of GMs DEFECTIVE A8 transmissions. Your going to need to have the tranny pulled and the stator shaft replacement TSB done along with the torque converter replacement. At that point it still won't be 100% right but maybe 50% better. The A8 is an absolute defective pig. Mine has been removed and repaired TWICE and GM still refuses to replace the whole unit and it's still malfunctioning Good Luck!

Last edited by FiveStar; 06-28-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

As Yogi Berra said, " Deja vu, all over again." Every day there is a new thread on A8 problems, even one claiming it locked the OP in his car.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 06-28-2016 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by lpabsolute
Hello,

I have a 2015 Corvette Coupe Z51 Automatic. I'm the second owner and was purchased from chevy dealership. Car has 9K miles on it now. I have recently started experiencing something rather odd. For the past two weeks I have noticed when I get into my car, start it up, and move the shifter from "P" to "D" the car goes into gear, then about 3-4 seconds later there is a huge jerk motion that moves the entire car. Now this only happens when the car has sit up for awhile, usually over night. This also happens if the car has been remote started and sits idle for a few minutes before I get in the car to leave. Also happens if I quickly place the car in "D" or if I slowly move from "P" to "R" to "N" to "D". Like I said its a violent jerk motion. if you had a drink sitting on the middle console it would turn over. After the car has been driven for a few minutes however and turned off and then turned back on the car does not do this. Also if you drive it all day turning it on and off it doesn't do this. Only with the first start up of the day. Please help. I've heard that it can be taken into dealership and have the transmission "reflashed"? Is this true? I purchased the car from the dealership and have had no issues other than this. Wanted to see if anyone else has had any similar issues and know of any fixes. Thank you for your time/help.

Lance
Unfortunately, there are the fanbois that will call you names, etc as they can't accept the fact that some people are having problems with their C7's.

What you describe is becoming a problem for a lot of people that have A8's including the one's with A8 pickup trucks. As mentioned, there is a TSB for the dealer to remove the transmission and replace the stator support with one that has an additional check valve. Some have reported that this does not completely get rid of the problem though.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 AM
Sailor Rick
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission caused me to hit garage this way..

My 2015 Z51, June built. Jerks so bad after sitting 3 weeks while on vacation it hit the garage door frame...ouch. $1500.00 dollars. Yes my foot was on the brake...it is now in the shop getting the stator tsb done and likewise have high hopes it will work..its allot of wor. Fingers crossed, parts on backorder but dealer got them all in yesterday for my car somehow.. TBD its future, love the car thoough.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:00 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

When I shift to D a huge jerk moves the entire car.
Originally Posted by Sailor Rick
Mine jerks so bad it hit the garage door frame.

Last edited by C8Jake; 06-28-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:03 AM
FiveStar
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Jake
Like the ones here posting crap like this
Old 06-28-2016, 10:36 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Glad to see the "BUTT HEADS" are alive and well and ready to jump in with a helping comment

Yes OP, this is a common issue, in fact, I have an appointment for 8:00 tomorrow morning to get my A8 re-flashed (warranty). If you have a dealership nearby with a Corvette savvy tech guy, they will know exactly how to fix your problem.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

Hello,

Lance
I regret to hear you’re experiencing this concern with your transmission, Lance. While I understand that you were seeking advice from other forum users, I would be happy to reach out to your dealer to schedule an appointment on your behalf.

If you’re interested in this additional layer of support, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN and preferred dealer.

Best,
Lauren E
Chevrolet Customer Care
The following 3 users liked this post by Chevy Cust Svc:
Gonzo (06-29-2016), lpabsolute (06-29-2016), rogergcam (06-30-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 AM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello,

Lance
Sorry ... my advice because the odds of getting a great tech ..and everything going right ex. no damage.. rattles and smooth tranny when all is done are slim ....dump the car !!! Or someday you will wish that you did ... again feel for ya ....good luck ..
Old 06-28-2016, 10:59 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

See this thread (everything you need to know):

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a8-repair.html
Old 06-28-2016, 11:07 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Issues willl plague A8 C7's forever > resale killer!

Last edited by C8Jake; 06-28-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveStar
Welcome to the wonderful world of GMs DEFECTIVE A8 transmissions...The A8 is an absolute defective pig. Mine has been removed and repaired TWICE and GM still refuses to replace the whole unit and it's still malfunctioning.
No denying A8 Corvette owners have had serious issues, or GM sluggish resolving the issue as your experience proves.
But while I have not driven an A8 in a Corvette, I was given a 2016 CTS loaner while our CTS4 had major work.

The '16 CTS w/ Turbocharged 4 w/ A8 was as smooth as a baby's butt, turbo 4 delivered more power than the V6 we now have as well as better mileage.

Point is there're thousands of A8s functioning as designed, and when they do they're really nice. Best auto I ever drove, IMO.
Still a damned shame the lousy ones, for whatever reason, are tarnishing all the rest.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmisson Jerks violently putting car into Drive

Old 06-28-2016, 11:28 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm on here pretty much every day and this was the first I heard of a TSB for the A8. Last I heard was just a re-flash or the owner going through a series of driving steps to cause the A8 to re-set itself.

Admittedly I don't read every thread (actually quit reading them) on the A8 problem as most are bitch sessions with the usual suspects chiming in and no real fix talked about.

Thanks to the OP for asking the question. I forwarded this thread to a friend with a C7 experiencing the same A8 issue w/ zero help from his dealer. TSB #?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:34 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I'm on here pretty much every day and this was the first I heard of a TSB for the A8. Last I heard was just a re-flash or the owner going through a series of driving steps to cause the A8 to re-set itself.

Admittedly I don't read every thread (actually quit reading them) on the A8 problem as most are bitch sessions with the usual suspects chiming in and no real fix talked about.

Thanks to the OP for asking the question. I forwarded this thread to a friend with a C7 experiencing the same A8 issue w/ zero help from his dealer. TSB #?
The problem with the fluid draining out of the torque convertor when the car sits for awhile was first mentioned on this forum back in November, 2015. The TSB to replace the stator support(with an additional check valve) was issued a little after the first of the year(if I recall correctly) and was posted on this forum. As usual, the fanbois wouldn't listen, instead just continued to call people names.

Reminds me a little of the roofs flying off the early C6's. First GM issued a TSB to spray foam to bind the panel to the roof frame. That didn't work, so they then changed the roof panel's material from polycarbonate to SMC, so the adhesive would stick. Then they replaced the roofs with the new material panel under a recall. It took awhile for GM to come up with a "real" fix for that problem.

I think all the 2005's and the 2006's and the early 2007's were affected, but not everyone had their outer roof panel fly off as they were running down the highway at 80 MPH.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-28-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:58 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret

Below:

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Bingo.

There are quite a few threads on this, it's the TC. It is a documented issue with a documented fix.

See GM bulletin "PIP5337A"

Read this thread: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...8-speed/page-4

Quick Reply: Transmisson Jerks violently putting car into Drive