Sponsored by:

Ceramic tint on roof panel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 AM
RichinCincy
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Ceramic tint on roof panel?

I'm thinking about having my roof panel tinted with ceramic tint (to block heat and UV). The installer is concerned about the film sticking to the roof panel etc. Anyone here have theirs tinted, how's it holding up? He also mentioned the 'plastic' roof may contract during cold weather and the film won't. I don't plan on driving the C7 when it's cold, but the garage can still get pretty chilly in the winter time.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 AM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

ummmmmmmm, the roof is already tinted

If you need more protection, i suggest a sunshade http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...FUpZhgodDb0G7Q
Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

First things first, the panel is made of poly-carbonate despite many references to the "glass" top, but with the frame I highly doubt it expands or contracts at all with the heat or cold. As far as UV protection and applying tint to it, you already have museum-grade UV protection built in to the panel, so you won't be increasing UV protection at all. At most, you'd be able to slightly cut the IR and heat transmission, if the film stuck to the top at all.

I doubt you will find anyone who has tinted it, and I highly recommend you just buy a suction cupped shade if you want to block some heat, that way you won't do potentially permanent or irreversible damage to the top (if for some reason the tint fails to come off properly). You won't see the cups from the outside and the fit and finish is quite good from what I hear.
The following users liked this post:
RichinCincy (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 AM
RichinCincy
Instructor

Originally Posted by SharkGrayStingray
ummmmmmmm, the roof is already tinted

If you need more protection, i suggest a sunshade http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...FUpZhgodDb0G7Q
Yeah, I know it's tinted..... Looking to block heat, not light..
Old 06-28-2016, 05:39 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

I think I'm going to have the windshield tinted at 85% ceramic. I think there's more heat coming through the windshield than the transparent top, but I haven't figured out how to confirm that yet. This is my first summer with a transparent top, and the AC is having a tough time catching up after the car sits out in the sun for several hours. It usually takes about half my commute home before I can take the AC off max. And it's not even really hot yet.

I'll start using my window valet to pre-ventilate the car when I can. That may help a little. I'd like to try to avoid losing the view out of the top if I can.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:48 PM
RichinCincy
Instructor

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
I think I'm going to have the windshield tinted at 85% ceramic. I think there's more heat coming through the windshield than the transparent top, but I haven't figured out how to confirm that yet. This is my first summer with a transparent top, and the AC is having a tough time catching up after the car sits out in the sun for several hours. It usually takes about half my commute home before I can take the AC off max. And it's not even really hot yet.

I'll start using my window valet to pre-ventilate the car when I can. That may help a little. I'd like to try to avoid losing the view out of the top if I can.
One local (Cincinnati) shop quoted $160 for ceramic tint, let me know if you find a better deal. I really don't want the 'suction cup' shade, I like the light coming in!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

That sounds similar to what I was quoted, but I don't remember what it was exactly. I haven't really had time to have it done, plus for a while I thought I might trade my car for the same one in Admiral Blue. Doesn't look like that's realistic right now though.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 PM
RichinCincy
Instructor

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
That sounds similar to what I was quoted, but I don't remember what it was exactly. I haven't really had time to have it done, plus for a while I thought I might trade my car for the same one in Admiral Blue. Doesn't look like that's realistic right now though.
I saw a USED Admiral Blue (a8) on the web already! 159 miles!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:22 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

I'll have to order to get the combination I want. Maybe in a couple of years.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by RichinCincy
Yeah, I know it's tinted..... Looking to block heat, not light..
Try All Hustle Motorsports on 747 in the Tri-County Mall area for a quote. They put Huper Optik on my wife's Porsche and it really cuts down on the heat. Wish I had it on my C7.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic tint on roof panel?

Quick Reply: Ceramic tint on roof panel?