Sponsored by:

2016 Z06 Engine Failure !

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:16 AM
NuckinFutz74
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 Z06 Engine Failure !

Hello guys and gals, I am new here and I am looking for direction and possible help. My engine failed me Sunday morning. I have a 2016 Z06 that I purchased brand new in October of 2015, which I ordered. Broke it in properly and I DO NOT dog my car out. I don't do burn outs or drag race the car. At the 5500 mile marker, I upgraded the headers w/American Racing long tube headers 2x3x3, Borla Atak exhaust and an AFE Momentum cold air intake. I paid good money to have them installed by a professional and even brought the car back to him after 700 miles, to have everything double checked and made sure nothing came loose. Well I just broke into the 8K mile range and Sunday morning, while coming out of a U-turn and then driving down a hwy at about 40, I heard a metal clanking sound and my dash is telling me engine reducing power. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but I could not accelerate and I just cruised as far as I could and coasted into a parking lot. Once I got out, I saw oil on the ground and I surely thought that something must have come loose, so I had it towed to the dealer. The next day, Monday, I get a call from the dealership and they tell me there is a hole in the block, so I asked, how does that happen? First response was, well you have this intake and the headers and the exhaust on here and my response was, that just affects the air/fuel to my understanding, nothing on the bottom of the block. So I was told that since it's a $12K engine, that what ever decision would be made, was not on the dealership level, but a corporate tech would have to come in and do a snap shot of the calibration and then a decision on what will be done will be made. Is there anything I can do or should expect? Thanks in advance for any help / advice.

Popular Reply

07-02-2016, 05:53 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Cant get over people trying to make 10-20WHP with bolt ons on a 650HP car.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:20 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Originally Posted by NuckinFutz74
Hello guys and gals, I am new here and I am looking for direction and possible help. My engine failed me Sunday morning. I have a 2016 Z06 that I purchased brand new in October of 2015, which I ordered. Broke it in properly and I DO NOT dog my car out. I don't do burn outs or drag race the car. At the 5500 mile marker, I upgraded the headers w/American Racing long tube headers 2x3x3, Borla Atak exhaust and an AFE Momentum cold air intake. I paid good money to have them installed by a professional and even brought the car back to him after 700 miles, to have everything double checked and made sure nothing came loose. Well I just broke into the 8K mile range and Sunday morning, while coming out of a U-turn and then driving down a hwy at about 40, I heard a metal clanking sound and my dash is telling me engine reducing power. I wasn't quite sure what was going on, but I could not accelerate and I just cruised as far as I could and coasted into a parking lot. Once I got out, I saw oil on the ground and I surely thought that something must have come loose, so I had it towed to the dealer. The next day, Monday, I get a call from the dealership and they tell me there is a hole in the block, so I asked, how does that happen? First response was, well you have this intake and the headers and the exhaust on here and my response was, that just affects the air/fuel to my understanding, nothing on the bottom of the block. So I was told that since it's a $12K engine, that what ever decision would be made, was not on the dealership level, but a corporate tech would have to come in and do a snap shot of the calibration and then a decision on what will be done will be made. Is there anything I can do or should expect? Thanks in advance for any help / advice.
Do not be surprised if your engine is not covered. You modified the engine. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Last edited by robertbruce; 07-02-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:23 AM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Unfortunately GM will not cover this bill.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:24 AM
NuckinFutz74
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by robertbruce
Do not be surprised if your engine is not covered. You modified the engine. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.
Yes, but to throw a rod? I have modified every engine I have owned and never had block issues.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:34 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Yes, but to throw a rod? I have modified every engine I have owned and never had block issues.
I had a 2011 GS that I added an aftermarket air intake system. The check engine light came on so I took it to The Chevrolet dealer I bought it from. He told me I had just voided the warranty and wouldn't touch it. I took it to a local tune shop and they tuned it and the check engine light went away. I have bought three new Corvettes since I had the GS and I leave them bone stock. Maybe you will get lucky and get your engine replaced. I am sure sellers of aftermarket added horsepower goodies will say that I am full of $hit so please tell us how you made out.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:37 AM
NuckinFutz74
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by robertbruce
I had a 2011 GS that I added an aftermarket air intake system. The check engine light came on so I took it to The Chevrolet dealer I bought it from. He told me I had just voided the warranty and wouldn't touch it. I took it to a local tune shop and they tuned it and the check engine light went away. I have bought three new Corvettes since I had the GS and I leave them bone stock. Maybe you will get lucky and get your engine replaced. I am sure sellers of aftermarket added horsepower goodies will say that I am full of $hit so please tell us how you made out.
I will keep you guys posted. I happen to know the G.M. of the dealership, so I am hoping I have options. My wife works for the owner of the dealership as well, but as I mentioned, the G.M. said it would be a call from corporate.
The following users liked this post:
robertbruce (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 12:47 AM
MostlyHarmless
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm afraid to say that as soon as you made mods to the engine to improve performance then you have given GM every "get out of jail free card" they need. Doesn't matter how unrelated you think your modifications are, the text of the warranty is explicit in this regard

Still very sad to hear your news and hope you get a good outcome. Hopefully personal relationships with the dealer might help

Mark
Old 07-02-2016, 02:10 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless
I'm afraid to say that as soon as you made mods to the engine to improve performance then you have given GM every "get out of jail free card" they need. Doesn't matter how unrelated you think your modifications are, the text of the warranty is explicit in this regard

Still very sad to hear your news and hope you get a good outcome. Hopefully personal relationships with the dealer might help

Mark

Unfortunately all car manufacturers now stipulate in their warranty language any add-ons, aftermarket parts or other "mods" voids the powertrain warranty irregardless how unrelated those items may be to the actual failure. Even software modification voids the warranty.

It's not fair but that's their restriction.

The following does help you but may help others. NEVER mod a car until the warranty expires or put it all back to stock BEFORE bringing the car into the dealer.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:32 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

other c7 z06s with engine failures

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/12/...nly-891-miles/

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/06/...-just-6-miles/

gm parts direct wants 9500 for a new engine and 2500 for core charge. are there any alternatives to paying a dealer for a new engine that might fail such as an independent engine builder if it's not covered under warranty?

Last edited by senah; 07-02-2016 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:33 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Unfortunately all car manufacturers now stipulate in their warranty language any add-ons, aftermarket parts or other "mods" voids the powertrain warranty irregardless how unrelated those items may be to the actual failure. Even software modification voids the warranty.

It's not fair but that's their restriction.

The following does help you but may help others. NEVER mod a car until the warranty expires or put it all back to stock BEFORE bringing the car into the dealer.
Just because the manufacturers put a statement in the warranty doesn't make it legal. Just like valet service putting a statement saying they're not responsible for damage to your car, those are there, but they are not legal. The current law as I understand them means GM must prove that the aftermarket item contributed to the cause of the failure. If this is not true and every manufacturer put that get-out-of-jail card in the warranty, I'm pretty sure SEMA will be all over it.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:36 AM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by amphora001
Just because the manufacturers put a statement in the warranty doesn't make it legal. Just like valet service putting a statement saying they're not responsible for damage to your car, those are there, but they are not legal. The current law as I understand them means GM must prove that the aftermarket item contributed to the cause of the failure. If this is not true and every manufacturer put that get-out-of-jail card in the warranty, I'm pretty sure SEMA will be all over it.
Okay I just re-read it. Man you are right. I was wrong.

"Further, under the act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not automatically void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warranty, or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure."
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html

Last edited by amphora001; 07-02-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Old 07-02-2016, 03:08 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Did you have it tuned after the mods? If so, it might have been a bad tune. If not, installing LT headers, usually requires a new tune.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:14 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Yet you had to go on a quest for more than the standard and fully warrantied 650hp?
The following 4 users liked this post by Z06 1of38:
Chemdawg99 (07-06-2016), Foosh (07-02-2016), Mr. Stingray (07-05-2016), ovrebo1 (07-06-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 05:53 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Cant get over people trying to make 10-20WHP with bolt ons on a 650HP car.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 07-02-2016 at 05:53 AM.
The following 16 users liked this post by MikeLsx:
bgspot (04-04-2018), bjones7131 (07-04-2016), Boucherman (07-02-2016), Chemdawg99 (07-06-2016), Corvette ED (07-03-2016), dpb (04-01-2018), Ernest_T (07-05-2016), Foosh (07-02-2016), j43w1 (07-02-2016), Landru (07-03-2016), Mr. Stingray (07-05-2016), ovrebo1 (07-06-2016), raylo (07-04-2016), TBF (07-03-2016), TennisFreak (07-06-2016), VETTE-NV (04-03-2018) and 11 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-02-2016, 05:59 AM
jyounger74
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The cold air intake will not void the warranty. Long tube headers most likely will and here is why. With any long tubed headers a tune is required. So if the person doing your tune did a poor job i think the dealer is going to tell you the cost is on you. What you could do is if it is determined that the tune was bad you might be able to have the dealer print out the tables. Then go back to the tuner and sue him in small claims court most small claims courts are $5000 max. It is not enough to cover a new engine but it could help.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:13 AM
7.0ltrpower
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

...What a bummer.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Z06 Engine Failure !

Old 07-02-2016, 06:24 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

My engine failed > what should I expect?
ftw > either way ya get a new motor

Last edited by C8Jake; 07-02-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Mr.Brooks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7Jake
nothing less than a new engine
A New car. The z06 of course
Old 07-02-2016, 06:52 AM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 141 Posts

Oh well is all I can say, I don't understand why you would take a 650hp car and put pepboys crap on it, so I don't feel bad for you, people do this all the time and I laugh when I see there faces. You take a car that has been tested over and over again and is proven and let some ball bag hack it all up, that's why these cars sell for nothing when traded in!!
The following 4 users liked this post by Millerrock:
Chemdawg99 (07-06-2016), Corvette ED (07-03-2016), j43w1 (07-02-2016), Mr. Stingray (07-05-2016)

Quick Reply: 2016 Z06 Engine Failure !