Sponsored by:

MP3 playback from jump drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 05:21 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Default MP3 playback from jump drive

To be able to listen to ripped books on CDs, I have to combine all the ripped MP3 files into one big honkin MP3 file (11 to 12 HOURS long). The problem is if I touch anything such as "Favorites" while the MP3 is playing, I have to start the huge MP3 over again. There doesn't seem to be a way to get back to where it was playing from.

The question is: Is there a way to make the player play from, say, the middle of an MP3 file? You can't move the playback point from the MP3 play display.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I can't think of any way other than breaking the file up or putting it on an iPod or MP3 player that has controls on it and bypassing the built in screen. Maybe someone else will know some other way with mylink.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:46 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Not sure why you'd put them all into one MP3. Why not just load them as the individual MP3s? At least you'd be able to start from the same book.

To answer your question, I don't think there a way you can start in the middle of a file.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

You should be OK to leave them in their individual files. They should play in order. I put 8 books (covering same long story) on a thumb drive, each book has 7 or 8 mp3 files and books are to be heard in order and that's the way it works in wife's Nissan, all automatically. I think it'll work the same on your C7.

You can fast forward or reverse using the double arrow buttons below the Infotainment screen or those on the screen. Hold button down while it searches forward or back.

I don't listen to books in my C7 but when I listen to mp3s I can switch to radio or XM and when I go back to mp3s it picks up right where it left off. I use a SD memory chip rather than a thumb drive. It should work the same with either one. My car is a 2015, born 12/23/14. I don't know if the 14s and 16s work exactly the same. Check the Infotainment owner's manual for more information.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:59 PM
CP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Frodo
You should be OK to leave them in their individual files. They should play in order. I put 8 books (covering same long story) on a thumb drive, each book has 7 or 8 mp3 files and books are to be heard in order and that's the way it works in wife's Nissan, all automatically. I think it'll work the same on your C7.

You can fast forward or reverse using the double arrow buttons below the Infotainment screen or those on the screen. Hold button down while it searches forward or back.

I don't listen to books in my C7 but when I listen to mp3s I can switch to radio or XM and when I go back to mp3s it picks up right where it left off. I use a SD memory chip rather than a thumb drive. It should work the same with either one. My car is a 2015, born 12/23/14. I don't know if the 14s and 16s work exactly the same. Check the Infotainment owner's manual for more information.
I tried that but as someone who has ripped a large number of audio CDs, I can tell you that sometimes the naming convention on each CD can be completely different from all the others. As a result, there is then no order to the playback. Some CDs I have ripped have had the track names show up as various song titles. There is no consistency in naming CDs or the tracks on those CDs.

I guess one option would be to go into the ripped images and ensure that there is a consistent naming convention among everything. Most audio books are 10-12 CDs with 12+ tracks on each.

The playing MP3 does pick up where it left off but if I do anything when the MP3 is playing such as fast forward or reverse the player goes to the next MP3 file on the drive. Then I have to start over at the beginning. I really would like to be able to touch screen the playbar and have the MP3 playback start from that point. What I have been doing is remaking the honkin' MP3 file but with the removal of the tracks already listened to.

Last edited by CP; 07-03-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:24 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=CP;1592554614]I tried that but as someone who has ripped a large number of audio CDs, I can tell you that sometimes the naming convention on each CD can be completely different from all the others. As a result, there is then no order to the playback. Some CDs I have ripped have had the track names show up as various song titles. There is no consistency in naming CDs or the tracks on those CDs.

I guess one option would be to go into the ripped images and ensure that there is a consistent naming convention among everything. Most audio books are 10-12 CDs with 12+ tracks on each.[/QUOTE

MP3Tag is a good tool for getting the names right. It's free.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

Old 07-04-2016, 01:50 PM
driver9
Drifting

Interesting, CP, the OP.

You posted the following:

Originally Posted by CP

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not the tags that are the problem. It's the file names that need changed. I need some sort of program that will allow me to append some constant text followed by the file sequence number in the directory. The program would proceed through the list of files in the directory uniquely naming each one.

for example I would provide a constant text of, say, "Rogue Lawyer Disc 01" and the program would rename the first file in the directory "Rogue Lawyer Disc 01 01" and the second file in the directory "Rogue Lawyer Disc 01 02", and so on. Maybe a small Excel VBA program could do this for me.
I took the time to write a reply to explain how to do what you want but you deleted your post by the time I hit Submit, so I deleted mine.

Thanks for wasting my time.

Old 07-04-2016, 01:56 PM
CP
Team Owner

[QUOTE=driver9;1592554755]
Originally Posted by CP
I tried that but as someone who has ripped a large number of audio CDs, I can tell you that sometimes the naming convention on each CD can be completely different from all the others. As a result, there is then no order to the playback. Some CDs I have ripped have had the track names show up as various song titles. There is no consistency in naming CDs or the tracks on those CDs.

I guess one option would be to go into the ripped images and ensure that there is a consistent naming convention among everything. Most audio books are 10-12 CDs with 12+ tracks on each.[/QUOTE

MP3Tag is a good tool for getting the names right. It's free.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html

I found an Excel VBA macro that will do the trick. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:05 PM
driver9
Drifting

[QUOTE=CP;1592560171][QUOTE=driver9;1592554755]

I found an Excel VBA macro that will do the trick. Thanks.[/QUOTE

And in keeping with your bad manners, you didn't bother to post the solution to the problem you asked for help with.

Awesome.

The following users liked this post:
Woodson (07-04-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 07:03 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Just rename the files to what you want.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 PM
CP
Team Owner

[QUOTE=driver9;1592560223][QUOTE=CP;1592560171]
Originally Posted by driver9

I found an Excel VBA macro that will do the trick. Thanks.[/QUOTE

And in keeping with your bad manners, you didn't bother to post the solution to the problem you asked for help with.

Awesome.

Sheesh!

Here ya go:

Option Explicit

'' **************************************** ***********************************
'' Purpose : List selected files from a directory
'' Written : 26-Feb-1999 by Andy Wiggins - Byg Software Ltd
''
' Two versions of this macro are shown here.
' The first version is the modified version which will parse the directories into separate columns
' The second version is the original version.
Sub ListFiles()

Dim vvRes ''Variant to collect result
Dim viLoopCounter% ''For loop counter
Dim CRCol As Integer
Dim i As Integer
Dim nWS As Worksheet
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
On Error GoTo Endit ' this is messy. The macro will add a sheet anyway and then delete it without asking. It works though.
Set nWS = Worksheets.Add
nWS.Cells.Activate
''Set an error trap - gets around a "Cancel" situation

''Clear the target range, column "A"
Cells.Columns(1).ClearContents

''Go to the top left cell
Cells(1, 1).Select

''Show the file open box and get a result
vvRes = Application.GetOpenFilename("The lot, *.*", MultiSelect:=True)

''Loop for each result in the "fileToOpen" result ..
For viLoopCounter = LBound(vvRes) To UBound(vvRes)

'' .. and input to a cell
Cells(viLoopCounter, 1) = vvRes(viLoopCounter)

Next

Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("A1"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=False, _
Semicolon:=False, Comma:=False, Space:=False, other:=True, OtherChar _
:="", FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1), Array(5, _
1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True
Cells.Select
Selection.Columns.AutoFit
Do While Range("A1").Value = ""
Columns(1).EntireColumn.Delete
Loop
Range("A1").Select
CRCol = Selection.CurrentRegion.Columns.Count
For i = 1 To CRCol - 2

Columns(1).EntireColumn.Delete

Next i
Range("A1").EntireRow.Insert
Range("A1").Select
With Selection
.Value = "Folder"
.Font.FontStyle = "Bold"
End With
Range("B1").Select
With Selection
.Value = "Filename"
.Font.FontStyle = "Bold"
End With
On Error Resume Next
nWS.Name = Range("A2").Value
GoTo Finish ' the macro has run with no errors
Endit: ' perhaps someone cancelled half-way, but a sheet has been added anyway. The section deletes that sheet.
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
ActiveSheet.Delete
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
Finish:
End Sub
Sub FileNametoExcel()

Dim fnam As Variant
' fnam is an array of files returned from GetOpenFileName
' note that fnam is of type boolean if no array is returned.
' That is, if the user clicks on cancel in the file open dialog box, fnam is set to FALSE

Dim b As Integer 'counter for filname array
Dim b1 As Integer 'counter for finding \ in filename
Dim c As Integer 'extention marker

' format header
Range("A1").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Path and Filenames that had been selected to Rename"
Range("A1").Select
With Selection.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.FontStyle = "Bold"
.Size = 10
End With
Columns("A:A").EntireColumn.AutoFit
Range("B1").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Input New Filenames Below"
Range("B1").Select
With Selection.Font
.Name = "Arial"
.FontStyle = "Bold"
.Size = 10
End With
Columns("B:B").EntireColumn.AutoFit

' first open a blank sheet and go to top left ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets.Add

fnam = Application.GetOpenFilename("all files (*.*), *.*", 1, _
"Select Files to Fill Range", "Get Data", True)

If TypeName(fnam) = "Boolean" And Not (IsArray(fnam)) Then Exit Sub

'if user hits cancel, then end

For b = 1 To UBound(fnam)
' print out the filename (with path) into first column of new sheet
ActiveSheet.Cells(b + 1, 1) = fnam(b)
Next

End Sub

Sub RenameFile()
Dim z As String
Dim s As String
Dim V As Integer
Dim TotalRow As Integer

TotalRow = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

For V = 1 To TotalRow

' Get value of each row in columns 1 start at row 2
z = Cells(V + 1, 1).Value
' Get value of each row in columns 2 start at row 2
s = Cells(V + 1, 2).Value

Dim sOldPathName As String
sOldPathName = z
On Error Resume Next
Name sOldPathName As s

Next V

MsgBox "Congratulations! You have successfully renamed all the files"

End Sub
Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

I just use MP3Tag,

All modern infotainment systems use ID3Tags (version 2.3) to decode track order, album, artist, song title.

If your program that is ripping the MP3s to your HD (including Audio Books) isn't doing this, use a different program.

Not using ID3Tags and relying on track titles is foolish. And I have 8500 songs from 600 albums on a 128 GB USB micro drive (two of them actually, one for each car!) so I'm aware of the benefits.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:07 PM
CP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
I just use MP3Tag,

All modern infotainment systems use ID3Tags (version 2.3) to decode track order, album, artist, song title.

If your program that is ripping the MP3s to your HD (including Audio Books) isn't doing this, use a different program.

Not using ID3Tags and relying on track titles is foolish. And I have 8500 songs from 600 albums on a 128 GB USB micro drive (two of them actually, one for each car!) so I'm aware of the benefits.
It's not that it's not using tags, it's the fact that the individual CD's have different names and that the naming convention of the tracks on the CDs is inconsistent.

For example CD1 may be named:
Rogue Lawyer Disc 1
and then CD2 may be named
The Rogue Lawyer Disc 2 Disc 2

and the resulting MP3 files on Disc 1 would be named
1 1 track 1.mp3
and the resulting MP3 file on Disc 2 would be named
Lawyer201.mp3

There's no way to tell the infotainment system to play the CDs in a specific order or even the tracks in a specific order. The only way to play the entire book is to wait until one CD image is played, and then go search for the next CD image to play. The system will not play 10+ cd images with whacky names that are not related to each other.

Hence I end up merging all the individual ripped MP3 files, regardless of their names and locations into a single 12 hour MP3 file in which I cannot navigate.

When the MP3 is playing there is a playbar showing the progress of the play but you cannot make the system play at a different spot on that MP3 by touching the screen where you want.

I know I should worry about more important things, too.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:22 PM
driver9
Drifting

Originally Posted by CP
It's not that it's not using tags, it's the fact that the individual CD's have different names and that the naming convention of the tracks on the CDs is inconsistent.

Rogue Lawyer Disc 1

1 1 track 1.mp3
Lawyer201.mp3

There's no way to tell the infotainment system to play the CDs in a specific order or even the tracks in a specific order. The only way to play the entire book is to wait until one CD image is played, and then go search for the next CD image to play. The system will not play 10+ cd images with whacky names that are not related to each other.

Hence I end up merging all the individual ripped MP3 files, regardless of their names and locations into a single 12 hour MP3 file in which I cannot navigate.

When the MP3 is playing there is a playbar showing the progress of the play but you cannot make the system play at a different spot on that MP3 by touching the screen where you want.

You're definitely right about the amount of trouble that the naming issues cause.

But regarding the playbar, on my 2016 I can manipulate the playbar to change the playback position. Is yours a different year and maybe it's a new feature?

Thanks for posting the VBA code.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:17 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CP

Rogue Lawyer Disc 1

1 1 track 1.mp3
Lawyer201.mp3

If your Album names are correct in the tag (all the same name no Disc in title) and the Disc and Track info is in the ID3Tag then it will play them in order start to finish when you select the album.

I have many "double albums" which work just fine.

However worst case, you make an M3U (Playlist) file. Then select that.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:14 PM
CP
Team Owner

Originally Posted by driver9
You're definitely right about the amount of trouble that the naming issues cause.

But regarding the playbar, on my 2016 I can manipulate the playbar to change the playback position. Is yours a different year and maybe it's a new feature?

Thanks for posting the VBA code.
I have a 2015. Touching the playback bar does nothing. I guess what I want has been implemented for MY 2016.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:56 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

However worst case, you make an M3U (Playlist) file. Then select that.
Yea, if you rip your songs all into one big MP3 then you need a M3U playlist or like in order to identify the tracks in that file. Not sure if systems will read the play list though. I don't think the stock system on my 2012 would.

Get notified of new replies

To MP3 playback from jump drive

Old 07-13-2016, 02:10 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by guido1205us
Yea, if you rip your songs all into one big MP3 then you need a M3U playlist or like in order to identify the tracks in that file. Not sure if systems will read the play list though. I don't think the stock system on my 2012 would.
I have 136 M3U Playlists I use in my C7. Works great.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:57 PM
CP
Team Owner

I have 136 M3U Playlists I use in my C7. Works great.
I guess I need to learn how to make a playlist and how it works.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:03 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
I guess I need to learn how to make a playlist and how it works.
Put music file on a USB thumb drive. Insert into USB port on your car. You are now learned.

Last edited by ovrebo1; 07-14-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: MP3 playback from jump drive