C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you discovered about your C7 that surprised you?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Quickly discovered not to race a Tesla P85 because it's embarrassing how fast they accelerate. In spite of that I wouldn't even consider one because the sound on the Corvette exhaust is just so nice. If it wasn't for the sound, I'd get at least 5mpg more.
The following users liked this post:
Z06NJ (08-25-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 04:04 AM
Worthington
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
Quickly discovered not to race a Tesla P85 because it's embarrassing how fast they accelerate. In spite of that I wouldn't even consider one because the sound on the Corvette exhaust is just so nice. If it wasn't for the sound, I'd get at least 5mpg more.
off the line sure, do a top end run and he's going to have a bad day.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:58 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo

...She came from a previous marriage where she had to ask permission to do things. I was not having any of that, in either direction.
Ooohh, MAN, did you miss an opportunity!!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:02 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I am surprised at how narrow the space between the bolsters is on the seats as my left thigh winds up on the side of the bolster and is uncomfortable. I am not a big guy either. That is my only complaint with the car.
same here. i keep adjusting the tilt and that has helped a little. forward/back may help. with only 390 miles, i'm not versed yet in what should and should not be.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:30 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TBIRD57
how some c7 owners comment how their car is perfect
while other c7 owners comment on a series of issues they encounter
..same workers same assembly line yet different experiences
Totally agree. Makes me wonder
Old 08-27-2016, 08:20 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

After owning mine for a while and cross shopping other cars w/ similar features and performance, surprised at how much car I got for my money.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 AM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Millerrock
No women would ever make me get rid of a car. My friends have delt with this, and those women were replaced!!
My husband doesn't care what I do. I entered the marriage with eight cars. He knows I buy a car or motorcycle a year. Heck, this year it was a new car and a motorcycle. He doesn't care about cars. I did get him an R/T Challenger and a motorcycle and a WRX daily driver. If he said anything about the cars, this marriage wouldn't last. He did however hate the Camaro and is much happier with the new vette. I didn't know until I traded the camaro and he told me.

If you can afford it and it isn't preventing bills from getting paid etc, I don't see the problem. Who needs to live like that.

Last edited by JenFZ09; 08-27-2016 at 09:37 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by JenFZ09:
bjones7131 (08-27-2016), joemessman (08-28-2016), MildBill (09-03-2016), Playboy2 (08-27-2016), River Rat (08-29-2016), woodsguy (08-28-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Amen sister...you sound like my wife (who also rides bikes).
Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 AM
nhz51
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

That it doesn't have the low end I expected. Other then that, nothing.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I am surprised at how many times the engine turns before it fires up. My C5 fired right up where the c7 turns several times before firing, is this normal.
Secondly I find the turn signal for swapping lanes cool, just push it a little, not enought to engauge and it blinks two or three times for lane change.
Love this car
The following 2 users liked this post by bjones7131:
white90conv (08-30-2016), Z06NJ (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Dakynz
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

couple of things:

1. Traction control settings - Stabilitrac and Traction Control offer different computer aids. Traction control allows you to smoke the tires but if you do it going around a curve the car will cutout and apply brakes. To drift/power slide you have to take stabilitrac off as well as traction control. Also placing in track mode and taking both stabilitrac and traction control off offers a sub menu that adjusts shift points/rev matching/etc. I was always driving in sport mode until I discovered the track mode sub menu. Nows its in Track and Race.

2. Love the rev matching for a M7

3. PDR records in valet mode with overlay of speed/tach/etc. PDR outside of valet mode requires you to manually turn on the overlays. Otherwise you just get good footage but don't get to see the speed/tech/etc.

4. hard vert top is extremely easy to stow. But putting it back on will pinch the rubber on the back locations and have to pay attention as it cut mine and sometimes the rubber will stick out. Easy to adjust but adds some time.

5. Pulling fuse (forget which one maybe 12?) will disable the rear view mirror onstar buttons. Find it less distracting when driving at night in the ghost setting

6. Nav on the vette sucks! Roads don't show up that have been around for 20+ years (paved hwy's) and in generally the quality is shockingly poor

7. Adjusting the theme to track allows (for me) an easier view of the tachometer and when to shift. Especially good when you are running the car hard.

8. Rear truck is huge. Clearly was designed to hold golf clubs. Also secret storage in back left corner opposite battery.

9. Front passenger seat automatically shuts airbag off if seat detects less than 75lb. Great because what has surprised me is how often my 5 year old daughter asks to take the vette to drop her off at preschool.

Last edited by Dakynz; 08-27-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Embarrassed to actually post this, but maybe this will help others.

Since I first got the car I wondered why GM decided to show the temp gauge and oil pressure on the two virtual gauges (I see they are called pocket gauges) that show up on Sport mode. Dups of the hard gauges right next to them.

I owned this car for more than a year, and I did not realize that the two gauges displayed on the dash in Sport mode could be changed! Do'oh!

Yes, the manual tells all:

Pocket Gauges: Press > while
Pocket Gauges is displayed to enter
the menu and select gauges that
can be displayed for the Sport
theme on the left or right of the
display area. Choose from Oil
Pressure Gauge, Oil Temperature
Gauge, Battery Voltage,
Transmission Fluid Temperature
Gauge, Horsepower, or a blank
gauge.

Last edited by Flame Red; 08-27-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:38 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
After owning mine for a while and cross shopping other cars w/ similar features and performance, surprised at how much car I got for my money.

U betcha! Excellent point!
Old 08-27-2016, 03:40 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Dakynz
couple of things:

1. Traction control settings - Stabilitrac and Traction Control offer different computer aids. Traction control allows you to smoke the tires but if you do it going around a curve the car will cutout and apply brakes. To drift/power slide you have to take stabilitrac off as well as traction control. Also placing in track mode and taking both stabilitrac and traction control off offers a sub menu that adjusts shift points/rev matching/etc. I was always driving in sport mode until I discovered the track mode sub menu. Nows its in Track and Race.

2. Love the rev matching for a M7

3. PDR records in valet mode with overlay of speed/tach/etc. PDR outside of valet mode requires you to manually turn on the overlays. Otherwise you just get good footage but don't get to see the speed/tech/etc.

4. hard vert top is extremely easy to stow. But putting it back on will pinch the rubber on the back locations and have to pay attention as it cut mine and sometimes the rubber will stick out. Easy to adjust but adds some time.

5. Pulling fuse (forget which one maybe 12?) will disable the rear view mirror onstar buttons. Find it less distracting when driving at night in the ghost setting

6. Nav on the vette sucks! Roads don't show up that have been around for 20+ years (paved hwy's) and in generally the quality is shockingly poor

7. Adjusting the theme to track allows (for me) an easier view of the tachometer and when to shift. Especially good when you are running the car hard.

8. Rear truck is huge. Clearly was designed to hold golf clubs. Also secret storage in back left corner opposite battery.

9. Front passenger seat automatically shuts airbag off if seat detects less than 75lb. Great because what has surprised me is how often my 5 year old daughter asks to take the vette to drop her off at preschool.
"6. Nav on the vette sucks! Roads don't show up that have been around for 20+ years (paved hwy's) and in generally the quality is shockingly poor"...

Terrible!...takes me WAY around simple routes....
Old 08-27-2016, 08:29 PM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by N2TU
"6. Nav on the vette sucks! Roads don't show up that have been around for 20+ years (paved hwy's) and in generally the quality is shockingly poor"...

Terrible!...takes me WAY around simple routes....
I use the free onstar app that I downloaded on my phone (I do not pay for onstar services) and I send the route to my navigation, you can do this without actually subscribing to onstar monthly plans. It's part of the basic onstar service that comes with the car for I believe 5 years. Way more accurate and easy solution. It works just like the regular cars Nav system but more accurate.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:42 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Playboy2
I use the free onstar app that I downloaded on my phone (I do not pay for onstar services) and I send the route to my navigation, you can do this without actually subscribing to onstar monthly plans. It's part of the basic onstar service that comes with the car for I believe 5 years. Way more accurate and easy solution. It works just like the regular cars Nav system but more accurate.
I believe the Nav service is only for the first 6 months after activation. At least mine was. You get the other app functions for 5 years but is limited to honking the horn, locking/unlocking and flashing the lights.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:55 PM
nhz51
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I forgot one other thing, the NPP isn't as loud as my Camaro.

Get notified of new replies

To What have you discovered about your C7 that surprised you?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:24 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ-19
I was disappointed to discover that the paddle shifters in the A8 are shifting "suggesters" for the car and the car doesn't actually shift when you ask for a gear (up or down). In other words, you can click the paddle when you want to shift but only when the car feels a gear change is acceptable, will it actually complete your request.

If the paddles actually controlled the transmission, I would have given the A8 some serious consideration. However for now the M7 remains the only truly driver controlled transmission. Unless you're the type that likes to drink Starbucks while you text 'n' drive and need both hands free of driving responsibilities, rev-match really eliminates one of the main reasons why folks wouldn't want the M7 for truly spirited or on-track driving.

Ryan J
I like the A8 because its faster than the M7...
Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I am surprised at how many times the engine turns before it fires up. My C5 fired right up where the c7 turns several times before firing, is this normal.
Secondly I find the turn signal for swapping lanes cool, just push it a little, not enought to engauge and it blinks two or three times for lane change.
Love this car
Perfectly normal with a DI engine. It's just getting the fuel pressure up.

______
lisa
The following users liked this post:
ExRedRacer (09-02-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
I believe the Nav service is only for the first 6 months after activation. At least mine was. You get the other app functions for 5 years but is limited to honking the horn, locking/unlocking and flashing the lights.
If your car is equipped with the factory Navigation you can use the onstar app to send the map to your cars factory Navigation even after the 6 month trial is up. Try opening the app and sending a destination to yourself it will give you 2 options, 1) send to turn by turn or, 2) send to in dash Nav. If you choose in dash Nav it will pop up on your cars factory Navigation, then all you have to do is press go button on the infotainment screen and it will start. I use this all the time and my Onstar subscribtion is expired.

Last edited by Playboy2; 08-28-2016 at 06:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Playboy2:
DangitDad (09-05-2016), maxp (09-04-2016)

Quick Reply: What have you discovered about your C7 that surprised you?