Sponsored by:

What I Wish

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:40 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Ya think? Sure he's kidding. BTW..get off my lawn!
I'll get off your lawn if you'll come mow mine - 3 acres.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
Man, you got that right! I totally agree.

I've had every version of the Vette from the C4 on, and IMO, the C7 stands head and shoulders above all of them in terms of looks, comfort, and performance. Would just like a "choice" between the older traditional "look", (not to mention functionallity) of the center stack vs the new touch screen stuff. That applies to all my cars, not just the C7. For those who like the look and function of a touch pad computer screen there, I'm glad for you. It's just not my cup of tea. But I'll learn to live with it. The other advantages of the car far outweigh this.

Hope I haven't given some of you the wrong impression. I marvel at what can be done with all the new high tech tools available to folks these days. Just being able to share ideas, opinions, photos etc from the comfort of my easy chair by touching a few simple buttons on this iPad is nothing short of amazing. I'm sure I'll eventually come to embrace more of the technology that's showing up in cars these days.
I'm still struggling to understand what you find so difficult about a touch screen. Seems to me, whether it's a physical button or **** or it's a screen with an image of a button or **** the action of activating it is essentially the same. IOW no more nor less distracting.

You have a good argument if you say something like "Well to get to function X I have to tap here, do that, change screen and then finally the button is there for me to tap. If I had a button on the face of it I could just hit it". With that I'd agree but that problem is not one of having a touch screen, rather it's one of having poorly designed the UI such that all of those additional actions are first required before you can activate the button. That could be fixed or addressed or changed even with a software update. But physical ****? Well if they didn't put it on the faceplate or within easy reach chances are you're totally stuck with it.

Could the GM engineers have done their UI better. Hell yes! But that's gonna be different for everybody. Yes you can use preference to radically alter the UI but with added preferences comes added complexity.

You do admit however that you enjoy sharing opinions on the internet here with a few simple buttons on the iPad. Now I'm not an iPadder but I've heard it only has one button - the home button. There rest are essentially a touch screen. So why is it you're OK with your iPad but not the touch screen in the car? Seems contradictory to me.

And before you say "Well I'm in the car therefore I don't want additional distractions" remember what I said in my first paragraph - whether it's a physical button or an image of a button, the action of activating it is essentially the same.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I suspect you'll get off my lawn when I fill your *** with salt from my shotgun!

(Just kidding - I don't have a shotgun...

Don't have a lawn either actually...)
Old 07-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
I'm still struggling to understand what you find so difficult about a touch screen. Seems to me, whether it's a physical button or **** or it's a screen with an image of a button or **** the action of activating it is essentially the same. IOW no more nor less distracting.

You do admit however that you enjoy sharing opinions on the internet here with a few simple buttons on the iPad. Now I'm not an iPadder but I've heard it only has one button - the home button. There rest are essentially a touch screen. So why is it you're OK with your iPad but not the touch screen in the car? Seems contradictory to me.
It's because I first have to find the right image, then tap or drag to something else, and if I make a mistake, then try and correct it while attempting to avoid an 18 wheeler or stay between the lines. The focus of my attention has been diverted away from the road. Plus aesthetically, I just prefer the look of the chrome accented *****. To each his own, eh?

Playing with my iPad, you have no idea how many mistakes I make trying to accomplish some tasks. It's been almost comical at times. But from my easy chair I can try to learn or correct them without harming anyone. I can take my time and try again (or call my techie son for help). Makes no difference if I get distracted there. Like I said, I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with the systems in these cars with practice. Just need to do that from the safety of my driveway.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:21 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by capecodvette
With due respect, you are in the minority. I am 65 years old, and do not share your thought process. Times change, progress occurs. No matter how much we fight progress, it is reality.
I'm 64, and totally agree with capecodvette....the days of of pulling out the choke on the carb, mashing the gas pedal and turning the key and listening to the crank until it finally caught, backfired and then started to idle are (happily) distant memories....progress is good!
Old 07-17-2016, 08:39 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by defaria
I suspect you'll get off my lawn when I fill your *** with salt from my shotgun!

(Just kidding - I don't have a shotgun...

Don't have a lawn either actually...)

And here I thought we were going to have a gunfight.

Some days, at age 74, I wish I didn't have a lawn. But, there are trade offs. I've got a rifle and pistol range in my back yard. And, yes, I do have a shotgun, in fact, two.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:44 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Squeaky Wheel - how many miles do you have on your C7?

I ask because all the controls are second nature to me - I have 28,000 miles on my car.

If you find it confusing maybe you should play with the system while parked and gain familiarity.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:46 PM
MRose0906
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

I recently just bought my first Vette, and honestly, the infotainment is what tipped the scales from a C6 to a C7. Now, I concur that this type of tech doesn't belong in a restomod '69 but if you're going new, it's a must.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:49 PM
Bui
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Try that other guy. He says he'll do it for 50$ or something like that.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Squeaky Wheel - how many miles do you have on your C7?

I ask because all the controls are second nature to me - I have 28,000 miles on my car.

If you find it confusing maybe you should play with the system while parked and gain familiarity.
Have only had it for a few months and less than 500 mi's. Traded a 2011 C6 Grand Sport with a similar set up for it. Also have a couple of other late model Chevys with similar touch screens. Really don't use many of the screen features on any of them though. No phone or Gps. Just the radio occasionally, but mostly my iPod. I set one of many long playlists on shuffle before pulling out of the driveway and don't fool with it while driving. Do find the back-up cameras very useful however. As far as the looks, I don't find a smudged touch screen particularly attractive in a car.

Hope I've provided some entertainment with this thread, but think I've said enough about this topic. How about we move on to chrome vs black wheels? Bet you can guess which of them I prefer!
Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 PM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

GM/Chevy has concluded it needs to make the Corvette more appealing to a younger customer base if the car is to survive. Most here would agree with this reality. Thus, the increasing technology featured in our favorite car. This is not a bad thing. Many of such improvements have resulted in higher levels of performance and convenience.

However, as an "old dog" who has a hard time learning new tricks, I also find it difficult to adopt some of the new technology. But the payoffs make it worth the effort. My "need for speed" is better gratified, and I find I enjoy many new features after mastering them. Further, adopting new technology helps Corvette keep up with the competition.

So, Chevy - keep up the good work. Continue to improve the Corvette, but I beg you, don't do it if it means pricing the Vette beyond the reach of its best fans.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:11 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Have only had it for a few months and less than 500 mi's. Traded a 2011 C6 Grand Sport with a similar set up for it. Also have a couple of other late model Chevys with similar touch screens. Really don't use many of the screen features on any of them though. No phone or Gps. Just the radio occasionally, but mostly my iPod. I set one of many long playlists on shuffle before pulling out of the driveway and don't fool with it while driving. Do find the back-up cameras very useful however. As far as the looks, I don't find a smudged touch screen particularly attractive in a car.

Hope I've provided some entertainment with this thread, but think I've said enough about this topic. How about we move on to chrome vs black wheels? Bet you can guess which of them I prefer!
At 74 I'm not a fan of black wheels. When I want a basic car, as I mentioned before, I drive a 28-year-old Ferrari. No power steering, radio is a joke - AC is a joke when the outside temp goes above about 95. All gauges with, mostly, rocker switches for controls - zero digital - and an engine noise that sounds as if it's coming straight from heaven.

I split the DD duties between the Ferrari and the C7.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:31 AM
defaria
Safety Car

It's because I first have to find the right image, then tap or drag to something else, and if I make a mistake, then try and correct it while attempting to avoid an 18 wheeler or stay between the lines. The focus of my attention has been diverted away from the road.
This is not an explanation of what you need to do differently then say finding the 3rd push button **** of an old radio. You still need to find the 3rd **** and push it appropriately while attempting to avoid an 18 wheeler or stay between the lines. IOW you're argument here is totally unpersuasive here.

Plus aesthetically, I just prefer the look of the chrome accented *****. To each his own, eh?
Ah here's the real rub, yet you don't want to admit it.

Playing with my iPad, you have no idea how many mistakes I make trying to accomplish some tasks. It's been almost comical at times.
Are you really that frigging bad at this? I think not. I think you just like to bitch.

But from my easy chair I can try to learn or correct them without harming anyone. I can take my time and try again (or call my techie son for help). Makes no difference if I get distracted there.
Any other layout of physical buttons and switches you'd also need to learn or correct them without harming anybody too. Again, you're argument is totally unpersuasive. You're just bitching because this is different and you resist change - that's all. Admit it already.

Like I said, I'm sure I'll get more comfortable with the systems in these cars with practice. Just need to do that from the safety of my driveway.
Again there's the rub. It's different so you don't like it so you complain. It's so frigging typical of some people...
Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Have only had it for a few months and less than 500 mi's. Traded a 2011 C6 Grand Sport with a similar set up for it. Also have a couple of other late model Chevys with similar touch screens. Really don't use many of the screen features on any of them though. No phone or Gps. Just the radio occasionally, but mostly my iPod.
Definitely a technophobe...

I set one of many long playlists on shuffle before pulling out of the driveway and don't fool with it while driving. Do find the back-up cameras very useful however. As far as the looks, I don't find a smudged touch screen particularly attractive in a car.
You really can't be bothered to take a little cloth and swipe the screen off? Really?

Actually I could care less...
Old 07-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

^^^^
Geez defaria. Arguing? Bitching? You really think I'm guilty of that? Thought I explained that I was happy for those who enjoy the new technology and was not trying to disparage them or the car. I truly do love the C7 and enjoy interacting with all of you. Just lamented that a choice was no longer available ala the C6. Are differing opinions not welcome here?

Guess I still have a lot to learn about the use of this social medium. Not quite as user friendly as I thought.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:04 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
this thread will keep going until it reaches 3 pages of responses from people who want to argue with the op or give replies like the op hasn't been addressed.

Last edited by ovrebo1; 07-18-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Will probably sound like a dinasour, but I wish cars these days (including the C7) could be ordered without all the menu driven stuff, especially the touch screen infotainment/mapping systems. I find them terribly distracting!

I'm ok with digital displays on the dash for traditional stuff like speed, tach, etc, and would even like the ft/rear camera displays to be able to be shown there with the push of a button. But in the center stack give me an old fashion high quality sound system with simple ***** and an iPod input. I know the C6 could be ordered that way. Wish that was still available on the C7.

High tech? Pffht. I'll stick to my old fashioned flip phone, which BTW I leave turned off while I drive. And as for directions, I write them down before leaving the house.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
3 Pages of posts and nothing to help out the OP.........let me try to help....... If the radio is the issue.......and you want *****........surprise they are there!!!! There is a volume **** and a station changing **** just like the old days.

I don't use an I pod but believe you can hook one up in the center counsel???? Some needs to confirm this.

For me I set the favorites......... one touch of the screen just like the buttons of the old days......... and use the selector to the left side of the steering wheel. We use to have 5 or 6 buttons on the old cars........ now we have 6 soft keys on the radio. What's the difference?

Get notified of new replies

To What I Wish

Old 07-18-2016, 03:03 PM
defaria
Safety Car

^^^^
Geez defaria. Arguing? Bitching? You really think I'm guilty of that?
You're definitely complaining...

Thought I explained that I was happy for those who enjoy the new technology and was not trying to disparage them or the car. I truly do love the C7 and enjoy interacting with all of you. Just lamented that a choice was no longer available ala the C6. Are differing opinions not welcome here?
IMHO (<- tehe) opinions must stand on their own merit. AFAICT differing opinions are not outlawed here - ridiculed perhaps but not outlawed. BTW your opinion is markedly not the majority opinion.

Guess I still have a lot to learn about the use of this social medium. Not quite as user friendly as I thought.
Never has been. Welcome to the interwebs. Glad you can make it...
Old 07-18-2016, 03:18 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
3 Pages of posts and nothing to help out the OP.........let me try to help....... If the radio is the issue.......and you want *****........
I went back and checked. The OP never asked for help. He just complained that he wished it was like it used to be. As such, why would he expect "help"?

surprise they are there!!!! There is a volume **** and a station changing **** just like the old days.

I don't use an I pod but believe you can hook one up in the center counsel???? Some needs to confirm this.

For me I set the favorites......... one touch of the screen just like the buttons of the old days......... and use the selector to the left side of the steering wheel. We use to have 5 or 6 buttons on the old cars........ now we have 6 soft keys on the radio. What's the difference?
EXACTLY! which is precisely why most people responded with a "what are you complaining about" response.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Geesh. Why would you think that? The new tire's and fuel injection don't cause any driver distractions. That's the only point I was trying to make. Can you say the same if you drive while trying to navigate some of the menus?

Guess I'm just overly sensitive to some of the crazy stuff I'm seeing happen out on our roads. It's obvious a lot of folks have their minds on things other than driving. Maybe the self driving cars will solve the problem and allow those folks more time to mess with the gadgets.
Only an idiot would attempt to use the touch screen while driving.
It ain't as stupid as texting, but it's pretty close.
That's why they have controls on the steering wheel.

Quick Reply: What I Wish