Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
How long did yours last?
On my C6 Z51, my tires lasted under 2 years, about 15,000 miles of mostly freeway driving.

My C7 is non Z51.

Last edited by SASprof; 07-17-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:46 PM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

Say what?

OP, NPP is standard on Z51 and almost universally loved.

PDR is absolutely awesome if you're tracking but since you're not, you will never use it so skip it.

Mag ride is awesome and a must IMO but I'd stop short of calling it magical.
With one caveat since he is looking in the used market. In 2014 NPP was completely optional, Z51 or not.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof
On my C6 Z51, my tires lasted under 2 years, about 15,000 miles of mostly freeway driving.

My C7 is non Z51.
Completely different tire.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:55 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Wait until November

You indicated that you hope to finish your school loans this fall. Since you are looking to get into a vert (I have a CRM 14 vert) your best bet whether buying new or used is to wait until the November /December time frame. Corvette convertibles sell slowly in the cold winter months.
Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:21 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Completely different tire.
Do the C7 Z51 tires last appreciably longer than their C6 counterparts?

Last edited by SASprof; 07-17-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
If buying a new are used to me buy the most that you can pay for at the time. I think you will be better off in your mind if you do so.

This way you will be happy with what you do get and not wishing later saying I wish I had got a 3lt are this and that on the car and in your mind not really be truly happy with what you do get..
J.C. Absolutey get as much as you can comfortably afford. One thing, be patient. That perfect Vette is out there, but it may take awhile to find.

BTW, you're already in the right track. If it's not a drop top, I'll have to pass it by. Love mine.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 07-17-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Friendly guy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm here to learn prior to purchasing as well but am much older than you. In the several months of my "education" here I've formed several opinions about the C7.
1/ I still intend to buy one even though the car has problems (what car doesn't?)
2/ Unless a person has money ready to burn don't do any mods that void the warranty.
3/ Don't buy a C7 that is out of warranty or about to be out of warranty. Too much can go wrong.
4/ Take a hard look at the tires. I plan to drive mine when it is both cold with wet roads. Most tires shipped with the cars seem to not be suitable for all season use especially the Z51 option's tires.
5/ As with any fast sports car ( I've played around with many old 60s muscle cars both new and used. ) be careful not to buy one that looks great cosmetically but has been run very very hard. You are asking for trouble if a real hot shot owned the car prior to you. There is a strategy that some practice which is to buy the car new, run the heck out of it but keep it pristine looking, then dump it near the end of the warranty on someone who will pay for their abuse of it big time.

Good luck and have fun!

ps. Unless you are in a very high income occupation be prepared to lose your car and most of your toys when "the" wife thinks it is time for a larger family than just the two of you love birds etc. ( spoken with the cynicism of age and experience )
The following users liked this post:
WestCoastBias (07-17-2016)
Old 07-17-2016, 02:11 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Keep in mind that PDR also includes navigation. I personally don't have much need for the PDR but navigation is a must have. Since you can't get one without the other...
Old 07-17-2016, 10:36 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Friendly guy
I'm here to learn prior to purchasing as well but am much older than you. In the several months of my "education" here I've formed several opinions about the C7.
1/ I still intend to buy one even though the car has problems (what car doesn't?)

Mine has been trouble-free for 2 years, 18,000 miles. Others have not been so lucky. That's the nature of a mechanical object.
Solution: Buy new. Buy an extended warranty.

2/ Unless a person has money ready to burn don't do any mods that void the warranty.

No brainer

3/ Don't buy a C7 that is out of warranty or about to be out of warranty. Too much can go wrong.

Good advice. See above.

4/ Take a hard look at the tires. I plan to drive mine when it is both cold with wet roads. Most tires shipped with the cars seem to not be suitable for all season use especially the Z51 option's tires.

Good advice

5/ As with any fast sports car ( I've played around with many old 60s muscle cars both new and used. ) be careful not to buy one that looks great cosmetically but has been run very very hard. You are asking for trouble if a real hot shot owned the car prior to you. There is a strategy that some practice which is to buy the car new, run the heck out of it but keep it pristine looking, then dump it near the end of the warranty on someone who will pay for their abuse of it big time.

Another reason to buy new

ps. Unless you are in a very high income occupation be prepared to lose your car and most of your toys when "the" wife thinks it is time for a larger family than just the two of you love birds etc. ( spoken with the cynicism of age and experience )

Solution: Vasectomy

Spoken with the cynicism of age and experience
Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 AM
kevpull
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Is the magnetic ride control worth it? Yes
Is the adjustable performance exhaust worth it? Yes
Is the performance data recorder THAT much better than mounting a GoPro? Don't know.
What's tire wear like? Depends on the tire. If you are not afraid of non-run flats. Take the run flats off, it will awaken the cars handling.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:41 AM
MacMulkin
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 4,105 Likes on 919 Posts

All of our customers love the MSRC, the performance exhaust and the Performance Data and Video Recorder. The PDR is built in and seamless. Just insert a sim card into the slot in the glove compartment and you're good to go!

Corvette Sales & Incentives

Old 07-18-2016, 01:26 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

I agree with all of the above. One correction: The PDR uses an SD memory card, not a sim card.

Quick Reply: No vette yet, but looking for advice