Sponsored by:

No vette yet, but looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:06 PM
WestCoastBias
Cruising

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default No vette yet, but looking for advice

Hey everyone, I've received permission from the wife for a C7 once I pay off my student loans as kind of a reward. I'll probably hit that milestone this fall, so I've started the research hunt for the lightly used garage queen of my dreams.

My baseline car is a Z51 convertible with at least 2LT and a 7spd/MT. Most of the cars I've been seeing that meet that requirement for a reasonable price are in Texas, so I feel bad just test driving a bunch of cars nearby in SoCal to check out options on cars I really have no intent to buy. I have driven a couple targa Z51's, but want a vert because I've owned two Mustang GT verts (currently have a hard top) and really miss that feeling. A targa is not the same.

If you're still with me, here are the questions.

-Is the magnetic ride control worth it? Both Z51's I drove didn't have it, I thought the ride was fine, but I've read that it's magical. My current ride is also a lowered (the full meal deal on the suspension, I'm not a stancing simpleton) Mustang GT that's not entirely forgiving, so I may have a higher tolerance.
-Is the adjustable performance exhaust worth it?
-Is the performance data recorder THAT much better than mounting a GoPro? Since I'm getting a vert, track days are out, but I still plan on the occasional autocross.
-What's tire wear like? Just mentally preparing myself because buying tires is one of my least favorite activities in life.

Advice is much appreciated!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:35 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

If buying a new are used to me buy the most that you can pay for at the time. I think you will be better off in your mind if you do so.

This way you will be happy with what you do get and not wishing later saying I wish I had got a 3lt are this and that on the car and in your mind not really be truly happy with what you do get..
The following users liked this post:
WestCoastBias (07-17-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

The difference in the suspension that MSRC provides in the different driving modes is very noticeable (and awesome). Unless you are going to go with an aftermarket exhaust system, get the NPP. Non-NPP exhaust is whimpy, not what a sports car should sound like.

Tire wear will vary greatly based on you driving style, but I'd say the OEMs wear pretty well.

Last edited by Zymurgy; 07-16-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:47 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Can't answer all your questions, but here's my opinion on two items you mentioned:
NPP Exhaust: Absolutely. One local dealer won't order a car without it. If you buy new and don't want NPP, they want a non-refundable deposit because the cars are hard to sell. I wanted NPP and made it a must have. Cars without NPP seemed to be lower priced and hard to sell.
Magnetic Ride Control: MRC was NOT on my must have list, but the 2014 coupe I purchased had it. I'm really glad it did.
I purchased used and would like to share something with you. I found that well equipped C7s didn't sell for a whole lot more than plain Jane models. The 2014 Z51, 2LT M7 coupe with Mag ride, NPP and Nav that I picked up was priced only $3K more than a the lowest price, no option, 1LT base coupe with M7 within 300 miles of my house. Keep an eye on Criswell's site. They ship to the west coast regularly. Not sure about Kerbeck as I never see any used Vettes on their site. Don't know about MacMulkin. Hendrick has dealerships on the west coast and they'll ship to their dealer. Problem is checking out any of those cars ahead of time. If you're buying a 2014, try to buy a Certified car for the additional warranty.

Last edited by roadbike56; 07-16-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

NPP and performace exhaust the same thing correct ? Z 51 package includes NPP correct ? So if ordering Z51 there would be no extra cost for NPP ? I 'm pricing out new corvette and just want to make sure I have right what I think is right .
Old 07-16-2016, 06:04 PM
BigTree
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J.C. Sutherland
Hey everyone, I've received permission from the wife for a C7 once I pay off my student loans as kind of a reward. I'll probably hit that milestone this fall, so I've started the research hunt for the lightly used garage queen of my dreams.

My baseline car is a Z51 convertible with at least 2LT and a 7spd/MT. Most of the cars I've been seeing that meet that requirement for a reasonable price are in Texas, so I feel bad just test driving a bunch of cars nearby in SoCal to check out options on cars I really have no intent to buy. I have driven a couple targa Z51's, but want a vert because I've owned two Mustang GT verts (currently have a hard top) and really miss that feeling. A targa is not the same.

-Is the magnetic ride control worth it? Both Z51's I drove didn't have it, I thought the ride was fine, but I've read that it's magical. My current ride is also a lowered (the full meal deal on the suspension, I'm not a stancing simpleton) Mustang GT that's not entirely forgiving, so I may have a higher tolerance.
-Is the performance data recorder THAT much better than mounting a GoPro? Since I'm getting a vert, track days are out, but I still plan on the occasional autocross.
-What's tire wear like? Just mentally preparing myself because buying tires is one of my least favorite activities in life.

Hey J.C.!

Familiar questions, some of these were the same that I worked through. I have a 14 Z51 magnetic M7 with the performance exhaust. Here is my two cents...

On magnetic it is significant providing a high degree of variability. Touring mode gives the car a more normal ride that most will find comfortable. Sport is where I spend most of the time, the car hunkers down to a good firm sport suspension. Track, you have got to love it on those twisty roads where you know there are no significant pot holes. Magnetic adapts the suspension to these in a very noticeable and beautiful way.

The adjustable exhaust is nice. Positive impact is you can lower the bark of the car down, something that you may want to do pulling into your neighborhood or driving around town. In track and sport mode I like the bark, to me it just sounds good.

I have a 14, so no PDR option for my car. My brother-in-law has it on his 16 C7 and likes it. We autocross and he is recording, downloading and analyzing his driving. It is a nice tool, if I had it I would use it.

On tire wear I am pleased. I'm in year three of ownership at 14k miles and still have plenty of good tire tread. This includes almost three years of autocrossing, the car was on the autocross on my fifth week of ownership.

I hope this is useful. Best of luck to you as you search out a C7.

Sincerely,
Brian
Old 07-16-2016, 06:06 PM
C6 Convertguy
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a used 2014 Z51 with mag ride. After owning it you will never go back. Adjust from soft and quiet to firm and responsive with a flick of the wrist. I believe exhaust comes with Z51 on 2016, as that wasn't an option when ordered but I have it. PDR isn't worth and I have it but it comes with GPS which you can't figure out from any Chev info. So you pay an extra $1k for PDR. Z51 in my opinion is well worth it.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:06 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

I'd say buy as much car as you can. PDR isn't a feature I care for but the rest of the 3LT package is the cat's meow.

We went all out, Z51, mag ride, twilight blue interior package, etc., and love it.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:30 PM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

-Is the magnetic ride control worth it?

Added weight and complexity. I'm happy without it.

The stock exhaust is terrible, but the factory performance exhaust is a poor solution because of its entanglement with the car's computer, so it has a mind of its own, which the driver cannot entirely control. You can read the many threads where guys have pulled fuses to disconnect the factory performance exhaust from the computer. Simple solution: Get the stock exhaust and replace it with an aftermarket performance exhaust.

I have no idea.

If you don't like tire wear, don't get a Z51.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:21 PM
amphora001
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My Z51 doesn't have it, but I do own another car with mag ride from a different manufacturer. I also just came back from a CTS-V test drive with mag ride. I honestly don't think it's night and day. But it's not that expensive, relatively speaking, so I would recommend getting it.

Totally worth it. Most days I like the exhaust loud. But some days I just want it to shut up.

I think GoPro is better in terms of video quality. But what PDR gets you is data, how fast you were going, how many G you were pulling, how much throttle and brake you were applying, which is essential to get better track time. But I think you won't miss it, especially if you don't go to the track.

I've had 11k miles on my car and they look like they probably have another 15k miles life left. I expect to change my tires before 30k miles, probably earlier. But it depends on how you drive. They are Michelin Pilot SuperSport and they're amazing tires. I have them in my Lexus as well.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

In my opinion 3LT isnt worth it. I could barely tell a difference in the interior leather. If you can get a 2LT with Nav, you are 90% of the way to 3LT already.

Z51 is awesome for the bigger wheels, transmission cooling, and suspension. NPP comes with so thats a nice perk too.

I have mag ride on mine. I didnt think i would need it until I tested it. Its awesome to be able to soften up your suspension when you find yourself on non-ideal roads.

Keep in mind, if you get a 2LT Z51 with the above options in a vert, you will be starting at 80k plus easily.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:20 PM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=J.C. Sutherland;1592642113]
...Most of the cars I've been seeing that meet that requirement for a reasonable price are in Texas...
[/QUOTE

I've been told that Texas has some rules that can end up wiping out salvage records, i.e. produce a non-salvage title on a salvage car. I can't swear it's true but I've been avoiding Texas cars for that reason. Do some searching and figure it out for yourself.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:45 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

IMHO:
Z51 w/NPP is a must. A Corvette should handle and sound like a Corvette. (After all, it is a "sports car.")
MRC provides adjustable driving modes, and includes control of the NPP plus the configurable instrument panel, which is way cool!
PDR is an add on to the Nav system (factory GPS). Factory Nav is way improved over past years, get it and the PDR is a plus.
If you're a control freak like me, the M7 ("stick shift") offers much better control of the trans.
To reduce Z51 tire wear - when the stock tires wear out, replace them with all season tires (like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S which offer much better wear with not much loss of handling.)
And don't forget to get the car in red......only kidding. Color is totally up to you.

That's my advice and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:25 AM
Jww92201
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to barge into your thread.. BUT

How odd we're In the same city, and I too am looking for a corvette and going to be coming from a mustang however I'm between a 1LT z51 coupe / Non Z51 2LT coupe.

So I'll offer what I've gathered from lurking (Limited) Information.

Connel Chevrolet to my understanding offers test drives but I haven't been able to get out that way, I'd like to see how the MRC fairs against the non MRC. Obviously It's probably night and day but I only plan to commute 30 miles a day, same path both ways so In that case In a non-track setting / no highway driving would I even benefit from the option? Obviously with you wanting to track the car It's a very beneficial performance upgrade.

The exhaust is night and day, unless you plan on going aftermarket which Borla is a whopping $3,000.00 for a full catback system not Including Install It's obviously a no brainer! NPP all the way.

PDR for track days Is what It was designed to do, remember you get a lot more Information than you otherwise would, ease of access, seamless design etc, If you're going to be frequenting Auto X seems like a good option, besides the used 2LTs are great value right now with the 17s coming In and they want to make room for them.

I've seen depending on driving style you can get upwards of 18~20k miles off the stock tires, If not more.. though with doing Auto X this car will probably eat tires like no tomorrow.

Just my 0.002$

Last edited by Jww92201; 07-17-2016 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:29 AM
WestCoastBias
Cruising

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I get the feeling this is just going to be an exercise in patience and spending a lot of time on eBay and AutoTrader.

Also appreciate the advice on Texas and salvage titles. I'll also admit I kind of have a desire to buy a car in Houston. Not to get too sappy, but when I was a kid, I declared to my dad's best friend that when I grew up I was going to play in the NBA and buy my dad a boat and a 'vette. Well, I didn't play in the NBA, and my dad passed away unexpectedly a few years ago shy of 60. I'm still in contact with my dad's friend who now lives in Houston, and I have this circle of life thing where I'd fly to Houston, hang out with my dad's friend, buy the car, then drive the hell out of it back to SoCal blaring some Who, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and ELP through the desert in the old man's honor. So yeah. Texas.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:51 AM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

[QUOTE=J.C. Sutherland;1592644198]
Thanks for the advice. I get the feeling this is just going to be an exercise in patience and spending a lot of time on eBay and AutoTrader.
Also appreciate the advice on Texas and salvage titles.
[/QUOTE

FWIW, I looked at used for a year and didn't find what I wanted over that time. So I ended up custom ordering my car. I could have been driving the car all that time. So could you. So don't waste too much time.

Re Texas and salvage title, I'm remembering a bit more. It seems like a lot of cars on eBay are from used-car dealers in Texas. Supposedly, a lot of salvage titles from other states get "washed" through Texas due to these rules. In the dealer auctions, cars that other dealers don't want because of salvage titles get bought for cheap by Texas dealers because they can wash the titles and thus benefit from an increase in value due to the clean title that non-Texas dealers can't accomplish. Again, I emphasize that I don't have a more solid handle on it than what I have presented here. Maybe somebody else here has better knowledge and can comment appropriately.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:10 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof

If you don't like tire wear, don't get a Z51.
Say what?

OP, NPP is standard on Z51 and almost universally loved.

PDR is absolutely awesome if you're tracking but since you're not, you will never use it so skip it.

Mag ride is awesome and a must IMO but I'd stop short of calling it magical.

Get notified of new replies

To No vette yet, but looking for advice

Old 07-17-2016, 11:18 AM
SASprof
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Say what?
Z51 tires are great tires. They're super soft and super sticky. But they also wear like crazy.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:33 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Unless I know the owner of a "used" Corvette I would look for a " GM Certified" car from a Chevy dealer. I have PDR on my 2015 3LT Z51 and use it for fun but could live with out it. I would like to have MRC. Think it is a nice safety feature but higher cost to maintain long term. Big fan of Z51 larger brakes and tires with improved suspension which may not be a "need" depending on how you drive. Base care is a sweet ride. The C7 I bought in 2015 had all other options and deal was so good I passed on MRC. I am on Corvette number 5 and do not track my Corvettes. None of my other cars had it so I don't miss it. Stability control is outstanding even with out MRC. If you are a very aggressive driver or plan on taking the car to the track you might want to hold out for MRC. Remember MRC while another layer of stability control will not over ride stupid behavior. Performance exhaust is nice to have. Good deals now on 2016's as 2017 become available. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by SASprof
Z51 tires are great tires. They're super soft and super sticky. But they also wear like crazy.
How long did yours last?

Quick Reply: No vette yet, but looking for advice