C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride: Is there a real difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 04:44 PM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

It adds a lot to trade in value, you will see when the time comes.
The following users liked this post:
mschuyler (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 04:47 PM
pdpratt
Red Shadow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 168 Posts

It is one of the best options you can get.I would not buy a C7 without it.
mschuyler (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 04:58 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
The less options you get, the less things that can break.
That was my biggest concern, not just the added cost of shocks but the extra electronics (the C7 Z51 has plenty already) but also those spindly sensor arms on the "A" frames. They keep track of where it is relative to the chassis.

Just one more thing to go wrong. Recently was stuck having to go over a long 18 wheeler tire tread. Fortunately was able to quickly switch lanes and have it go under the center of the car. Would not want to have that truck tire section wrap around a wheel and hit any of those!

Small Sensors with Mag Shock System

Last edited by JerryU; 08-02-2016 at 05:00 PM.
mschuyler (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It's a magnificent system, which makes a huge difference in how well the car handles, while improving the ride at the same time. There is a reason that Ferrari and other high dollar marques paid GM a healthy sum for the rights to use it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
mschuyler (08-02-2016), smajicek (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 PM
Mvfvette1
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
And I will bet the latest generation is even more!!!!!!

It's like audio..........some have an ear some can't tell the difference.
Brand new, genuine AC Delco MRC shocks for the C7 FE4 Z51 suspension are $309.

I am very glad to see that. The potential cost of replacement shocks was the only concern I've ever had with having the adjustable suspension on Corvettes. I've yet to replace a set yet, but if I ever have to on this vehicle, $309 a shock makes it a non issue and makes me a whole lot happier that I went with this great technology.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mvfvette1:
Dif (08-02-2016), smajicek (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 11:43 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

MOTORWEEK had a review on the C7 and stated that the z51 package is the best bang for the buck. I have it and don't regret it. Just do it and get it. You live only once.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:10 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's a magnificent system, which makes a huge difference in how well the car handles, while improving the ride at the same time. There is a reason that Ferrari and other high dollar marques paid GM a healthy sum for the rights to use it.
Guess I will have to learn to “live with mag shocks” with my planned GS! Don’t expect a “HUGH” difference and no doubt will live with a slightly stiffer ride as I will be in Sport 95% of the time! Never know when it’s needed! With our good roads in Eastern SC, it's not an issue.

The other day when with my Z51 non mag shocks, I had to avoid a long 18 wheeler tire tread that was in my center lane overlapping the left lane I had to make a very fast maneuver to the left lane (fortunately had just looked in my mirrors prior including my blind spot add-on.) I quickly moved into the left lane to have the tread go under the car and not hit it with my wheels! Made noise but no damage to my spitter or underside. My Z51 with standard 45 mm Bilsteins handled like a go cart! Couldn’t have asked for more.

If I tracked the car probably would have gotten mag shocks or if I wanted to push the edge and achieve max cornering speeds, a set of LG Motorsports coilovers that include standard HD properly turned and matched shocks! Then could tune for the specific track!

The 45 mm shocks in the Z51 are variable as are all quality high performance shocks. Agreed it’s only how the variable mechanical valving can react to loading rates!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-03-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Kruegmeister
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts

I would say it depends what you're looking for.
I have the Selectable Exhaust (NPP) it allows me to have a quiet exhaust in touring. I am never in Touring, Economy, Weather... Sport or Track only (Sport 99.9÷ of the time) but NPP was worth it because the Stock exhaust is wimpy so I needed the NPP

The C7 suspension is pretty damn good, I don't track and I never whipped around a corner fast enough to think I needed a better suspension. I would also (like with my exhaust) never want to soften it to Touring.

So I know the ride selection would be easy to notice the mode difference, I would just always have it on sport, which I would imagine would handle just like my car does now. So for me it wasn't worth it & I got to pay mine off faster.

Last edited by Kruegmeister; 08-03-2016 at 12:50 AM.
mschuyler (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:14 AM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I didn't think mag ride was worth the extra $$$. It was not on my must have list. Made an offer on a 2014 Z51 w/out mag ride but the dealer turned it down. Found the same Z51 car, with mag ride and a must have for me, navigation. That one I bought. After driving the Z51 with mag ride, I wonder what the he-- was I thinking. Yes, it's worth it. Smooth comfortable (but not soft) ride in Touring mode, solid ride in Sport mode, very hard in Track mode. Love it.
Problem is, with every thing you're trying to understand on a demo ride, the mag ride is hard to concentrate on. So on a short demo ride, you may not pick up on the differences. Once you own it, then you can really feel the difference.
It can be deceiving to test drive a z51 with the FE4 if one is "not thoroughly" prepared with a list for the drive. I think that might depend on the sales person to a degree, also. I was lucky in a couple of respects... I'd done a LOT of reading and wanted to experience for myself if the MRC option is worth it.

I was looking specifically for a used car, so my attention was extremely focused on three features--what was the condition of the clutch fluid, how well did the MRC perform, and what was the service history (specifically, was the 500 mile change logged with reasonable oil change intervals too).

I'd watched the YouTube videos describing how to manipulate the instrument panel selections with the right-side steering wheel toggle, and how to use the console's MRC selector dial. I checked out the engine bay and had already seen the service reports, etc.

All I wanted to do on the test drive was feel the difference in the MRC configurations--the ride had to answer one singular question--does the z51 need the MRC option for me to be happy or not?

After a quick and cursory click-through of the instrument panel selection menu and the infodata screen just to make sure "everything worked" I concentrated solely on driving and handling response during the W,E,T,S, Tr modes of the MRC just to feel how the option levels changed handling and response. My sales person was critical in this regard; she knew the area and I asked to be directed through smooth, rough, and winding roads, on ramps, and a hairpin turn if she could think of one. I told her up front before she got the keys for me that I was gonna drive the car for as long as it took to heat the engine oil to 180* first, and we'd be out driving for feel for as long as it took after that. We were gone about 45 minutes. By the end of the drive, I was sold on the MRC...

Something no one's mentioned about the FE4 option--it comes with MRC, but PTM is included with that. Google 'PTM' and familiarize yourself on it. It is strongly claimed as an advantageous feature for pure track use. And while there is some justification that replacement shocks are very expensive, the target life expectancy is 100,000 miles; and if you're going to track the z51, PTM won't work without electronic shocks. "Mvfvette1" has just posted that he found AC Delco replacements for $309 each; I hope they're still selling for that when it comes my time. Regardless, I'm sold on the their features.

As said another way...
Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
And I will bet the latest generation is even more!!!!!!

It's like audio..........some have an ear some can't tell the difference.
I've got the 'ear' for MRC. And I'll hijack and say that even with the "Premium" Bose Audio 10-speaker set up, the BLose stereo sucks big *****. DAAYUUuum what a lame excuse for a "stereo" that Bose is. "Premium"... by Bose's definition, a $200 stereo system instead of the old $100 bulk deal. (Yeah. That's all the previous version of 4 Blose speakers, a head unit, and amplifier costs GM per car.) Yuck, with an 'f'.
Dif (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 02:33 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I read replies that say MRC is a "noticeable difference", "hugh difference" it's great" worth every penny", etc. But how so? Under what conditions is it most noticeable? If someone does not plan to track the car what is the MRC's great advantage on city roads? It it worth it on a harder riding Z51 but not really needed on a non-Z51?

Some data or specifics would be helpful. Otherwise it's like, "I got it so it must be great".

Last edited by Maxie2U; 08-03-2016 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:39 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
There is a REAL difference when you have to pay to replace them.
Learned my lesson....NEVER AGAIN!!!

Enough said!
Old 08-03-2016, 07:46 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I had MRC on my C6 and the difference was noticeable. But the C7 system seems even more noticeable, especially in track mode, where the car plants itself like a go-cart.

A firmer setting, like Sport mode, also helps on washboard road surfaces.
MildBill (08-06-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 10:15 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My C6 Z06 has a stiffer suspension than the C7 Z51 W/O MRC and way more stiffer than the base C7 W/O MRC.

I believe the roads you drive on regularly are the determining factor in whether MRC is worth the price.

.0007% of the time do I drive on washboard gravel roads.

99.9993% of the time I do drive on nice smooth highways.

I'm 74 years old and I drive my Z06, W/O MRC around 6,000 miles annually on all kinds of roads, in 41 of the lower 48, and I don't need the MRC to smooth out bumps that I rarely encounter.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-03-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:11 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Smooth highways? Do we still have those in the U.S. I don't see many east of the Mississippi, or in CA for that matter.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:20 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I read replies that say MRC is a "noticeable difference", "hugh difference" it's great" worth every penny", etc. But how so? Under what conditions is it most noticeable? If someone does not plan to track the car what is the MRC's great advantage on city roads? It it worth it on a harder riding Z51 but not really needed on a non-Z51?

Some data or specifics would be helpful. Otherwise it's like, "I got it so it must be great".
I don't have any data I can cite; only anecdotal notes. "noticeable difference", "hugh difference" it's great"... I think your perception of the gap between 'noticeable' and 'hugh' depends a LOT on the MRC "level" you've set--Wet, Eco, Touring, Sport, or Track--in conjunction with the quality of the road the level is compensating for. Gauge these experiences with non-MRC cars and I think the majority of MRC "owners" will say that the MRC option helps lots, in various ways.

My only experience with a non-MRC Corvette was during my driving tests when I actually chose between two different c7's. I'm really used to the feel of our own c5 z06, which is lowered 2" and has Pfadt shocks and sways. The base c7 rides smoothly everywhere; almost to the point of floating (with a sense of being boaty). It can't handle fast and hard turns (like hairpins) nearly as well. The base tends to roll and fishtail more than my c5z06. The advantage it has is that it is a nice, luxurious ride (comparatively) to our c5 with its' stiff suspension for long drives over mediocre terrain--the washboard pavement in west Texas' I-10; I-5 between Palmdale and the Mullholland Dr exit ('way north); 49N approaching Jackson, MS.

However, with the correct choice in the MRC (Touring, in my test drive) the suspension smoothed out even the roughest roads extremely well; they were reduced to innocuous bumps and depressions. I was surprised. Set to Track mode, the c7 took the rough roads as if it was 80% as stiff as my c5z06--that is, I knew I was on a much rougher road, but it wasn't like "I have to tolerate this in the c5z06 because 'stiffness translates to handling' ".

The hairpin I drove the three cars through was the one place that showed each car's suspension potential. Boaty, rolling, tire-screeching base model vs. the MRC's Sport mode which took the turn ~10mph faster (and accelerating) with no roll, no squealing, no nothing. I might as well have been driving straight. I actually should have come into the turn faster--but to measure everything equally, I went back to the hairpin turn with the c5z06 and took it at the same speed as the MRC z51 and the base model. The tires did squeal a tiny bit, and I could feel the rear just start to swing, but it did hold w/o body roll as I accelerated through, and that surprised me (and I'll bet most would say "WHY?" 15years of technology trumps an old Z, Pfadts and all). I don't think I could have come in much faster with the c5 as I thought I could with the MRC.

We did buy the MRC'd z51. And I guess I'll have to say I'm in a "minority"... I don't care for how it handles very much. I really prefer the c5 modified stiffness to the electronic dampening/aids in the modern car. We bought it because we need a "rock solid dependable" car that I can count on leaving with my wife alone. It'll be an 'occasional' driver for me, but I much prefer the older steering-wheel feel and control of the unaided rawness of "ancient" handling, even though it can't keep up in the turns.

As for the $1000 apiece shocks... hopefully it'll be 5-7 years when/if I need them. If I'm lucky, they'll still be "in production" and only inflation will drive the price up; and at that time, the car will be paid off, and I won't care that it takes 4G's to keep it runnin'. It'll still be a fine car worth saving for 4G's. REAL luck would drive aftermarket replacement prices down.

Last edited by dork; 08-04-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM
MildBill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
There is a REAL difference when you have to pay to replace them.
Learned my lesson....NEVER AGAIN!!!

What would have happened to cause all 4 to be replaced at once? It's like all 4 engines on a jet going bad at once. With a bill like that, I think I may have opted for a different suspension set up. I had a repair last year on my C6 (fuel level and steering) that set me back $3500...and it was totally drivable!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Mvfvette1
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 49 Posts

The replacement cost of MRC shocks for the Z51 C7 is $309 each. That is for brand new, genuine Ac delco shocks. The picture of the invoice where someone got bent over on a different vehicle is completely irrelevant.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mvfvette1:
Boiler_81 (08-04-2016), cheapthrills (08-04-2016), Cur (08-05-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride: Is there a real difference?

Old 08-04-2016, 05:37 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Eff A Ford
The less options you get, the less things that can break.
Yeah I want roll down windows, non power seats, no A/C, to hell with airbags, traction control and antilock brakes.

So many great things available in cars these days yet some are afraid of them.

I have mag ride and love it. Would you miss it if you never had it, probably not but once you have it you understand how awesome it is.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Twisted Swifter
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I'm confused about MRC. I have read several posts where people say it makes a huge difference and is well worthwhile. Any thoughts on why there is such a difference of opinions?
I believe that there are two primary reasons that there are two opposing schools of thought on the value of MRC. The first and most obvious is that many people don't buy it. Generally speaking those that don't get it believe that it is unnecessary and cost-prohibitive. Those that do get it believe that it is the answer to every question. People tend to justify their decisions even when confronted with cold hard facts. The second reason is that many owners are (excuse me for being blunt) old geezers who's butt-meters don't work very well (if they ever did).

I haven't ridden in a non-MRC C7. Nevertheless, the difference in the perceived behavior of my MRC-equipped Z51 between Touring, Sport, and Track is easily confirmed and repeatable. MRC really is like having two different cars.

Perhaps this video will convince you. Focus on 1:25 to 1:55.

I'm surprised that MRC isn't touted as a safety feature. In my mind any technology that can help keep the driver in control with the wheels on the ground is a good thing.

After seeing what a huge difference it makes with my C7, I'll definitely be buying it on my C8.
mschuyler (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 09:01 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by capecodvette
I owned a 2013 Grand Sport, with MRC. Now I own a 2016 Z51 with MRC. HUGE difference. The new generation MRC is light years better and noticeable.
I had it in my 2009...ans my 2012...but my lead *** couldn't tell any difference...

I have it now in my 2017 GS but haven't driven it much yet to see if there is a difference.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride: Is there a real difference?