Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another 'Mid Engine' 'Vette Story - This one is interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 AM
RRvet
Race Director

Location: Retired from small University town in south/central part of Jersey & lives in South Carolina
Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Another 'Mid Engine' 'Vette Story - This one is interesting...

http://www.businessinsider.com/corve...history-2016-8

Corvette might be on the verge of the biggest change in its history
Matthew DeBord - Business Insider

Ever since it was first introduced as a stylish roadster in the 1950s, the Chevrolet Corvette has used the same design: engine up front, drive wheels in the back, two seats and a lot of American spirit.

Through seven generations and a steady increase in horsepower and attitude, that formula has remained intact.

But it could now be about to change. Big time.

The Corvette C7 Stingray, especially in its Zo6 variation, is now a proper supercar. On the the racetrack, the Corvette Racing has racked up 100 victories in sports-car competition, getting everything is can out of that Chevy V8 up under the front hood.

But at places like the Daytona International Speedway and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Corvettes are finding themselves running alongside a pair of 21st-century supercars, the Le Mans-winning Ford GT and the new Ferrari 488 GTB. These are both mid-engine designs, with the powerplant located between the driver and the rear wheels. Both are also turbocharged — the Ford GT with an advanced six-cylinder engine, the Ferrari 488 with a V8 — and crank out 600-ish horsepower, while the track Vette doesn't even make it to 500.

It makes sense. I watched the Vettes in action on the track this season, beginning with victory at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, then on to total defeat at the hands of Ford and Ferrari at Le Mans (where Corvette was the defending champ in its sports-car class), then back to victory at a race at Lime Rock Park in Connecticut.

We've also driven every available version of the current-generation Corvette and have been hugely impressed. But we've also driven the 488 GTB, and we're looking forward to checking out the Le Mans-winning Ford GT.

But the writing is on the wall. As good as the Z06 is, mid-engine layouts now rule the supercar world. The top of the genre is now occupied by Ferrari, Ford, McLaren, Lamborghini, and Audi — all with mid-engine machines.

And of course Corvette doesn't have to stop making the front-engine Vette. In fact, the speculation now is that the mid-engine Vette will be sort of a special edition.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Corvette will have a car ready to race by next January, with a limited production version to follow in 2017. The full-on production car will hit in 2018 (even though the Detroit News says 2019)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:00 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I have owned close to 50 cars, including 11 Vettes (2 C4's, 3 C5's, 5 C6's, and my current C7). I have also owned rear and mid engine Porsches, mid engine Ferrari's, and you name it. My current C7, a 2016 Z51 3LT loaded convertible, is probably my favorite car ever. That being said, if Chevy comes out with a mid engine Vette, I will be first in line. After that, if they continue to offer a front engine V8, fine. If not, that is also fine. I don't care how many cylinders the mid engine Vette has, as long as it is quick and sounds great. Lastly, to anyone who has never driven a mid engine car, it's not fair to make comparisons until you have experienced both.

Last edited by RonnieC6Z; 08-09-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

^^^ I have never owned a mid engine car but have owned a s()!+ load of vettes and I um ah ah what were we talking about?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-10-2016 at 11:30 AM. Reason: There's no need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Interesting read, a lot of articles and speculation. We will have to wait and see but I hope they do come out with a mid engine version. The big question is what will the price be.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

most of us that post on this site are consumers of a product. we have our interests and desires that are personal and individual based on a variety of reasons. general motors is the builder of corvettes, and its interests are NOT the same as ours. it chooses what cars to build and what style and mechanical makeup that they have. its reasons for what it chooses are financial.

it will build what it chooses and our choice is to buy or not. we can praise or complain, but the only way to get exactly what you want is either to find it wherever you can or build it yourself.

there is no reason to drop a front engine sports car just because you also sell a midengine one. audi, ferrari and bmw all have both.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:31 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Interesting read, a lot of articles and speculation. We will have to wait and see but I hope they do come out with a mid engine version. The big question is what will the price be.
it will likely be over $150K. I believe the Ford is over $200, and GM would probably not be more than 25% below the Ford.

Last edited by witch hunt; 08-09-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:16 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

^^^ The comparison between any Vette, including a proposed mid engine Vette and the Ford GT is apples to oranges. This is because the Ford GT is not a new variation of a current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette would be. Nor does the ford GT replace any current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette possibly could do. The Ford GT is an extremely limited production car with a MSRP of around 400K, and because of the limited numbers, it is sold out prior to production. Furthermore, Ford has chosen the buyers. The mid engine Vette, whether it compliments or replaces the front engine Vette, will not sell for anywhere near 150K. And, it will not be a limited production car. I remember when the ZR1 hit the market at 120K. They did not sell, and soon after that, the were going for 100K.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-10-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: There's no need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting!
The following users liked this post:
vbdenny (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 02:22 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default still waiting for awd option

since so many other super sports cars have it.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:50 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

As great and wonderful the , I believe $ 400,000.00 Ford GT is, it's nice to see they're not invincible.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:02 PM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
The comparison between any Vette, including a proposed mid engine Vette and the Ford GT is apples to oranges. This is because the Ford GT is not a new variation of a current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette would be. Nor does the ford GT replace any current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette possibly could do. The Ford GT is an extremely limited production car with a MSRP of around 400K, and because of the limited numbers, it is sold out prior to production. Furthermore, Ford has chosen the buyers. The mid engine Vette, whether it compliments or replaces the front engine Vette, will not sell for anywhere near 150K. And, it will not be a limited production car. I remember when the ZR1 hit the market at 120K. They did not sell, and soon after that, the were going for 100K.
we shall see---without question if it actually does go into production, the price would be at minimum "near $150". Loaded current Z06 is near $120, and the mid-engine(surely only one engine avail) would require Z06 perf #'s at worse. Another consideration on price---many, many would simply be purchased and garaged for hopeful future return on investment, GM not likely to leave this money on the table.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The comparison between any Vette, including a proposed mid engine Vette and the Ford GT is apples to oranges. This is because the Ford GT is not a new variation of a current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette would be. Nor does the ford GT replace any current Ford vehicle, as the mid engine Vette possibly could do. The Ford GT is an extremely limited production car with a MSRP of around 400K, and because of the limited numbers, it is sold out prior to production. Furthermore, Ford has chosen the buyers. The mid engine Vette, whether it compliments or replaces the front engine Vette, will not sell for anywhere near 150K. And, it will not be a limited production car. I remember when the ZR1 hit the market at 120K. They did not sell, and soon after that, the were going for 100K.
We don't really know what it will be yet.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
As great and wonderful the , I believe $ 400,000.00 Ford GT is, it's nice to see they're not invincible.

That's the interesting thing about racing these days. If anyone gets dominant as the Ford GT was at LeMans in June, the performance penalties will soon follow as they surely did for Ford. If the C7 team wins another, I suspect the pendulum will swing back again.

It's not very hard to make what was a dominant car non-competitive, which is why the BOP is constantly being adjusted. It happened to Corvette at LeMans, and now Ford is getting it's dose of the same medicine.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

...I remember when the ZR1 hit the market at 120K. They did not sell, and soon after that, the were going for 100K.
...just like the loaded C7 Z06s are going for now.

To be fair, the C6 ZR1 was introduced near the start of a severe economic downturn which obviously affected sales of all Corvettes,
especially the higher-priced Z06 & ZR1 models.

The C7 Z06 was introduced during a better economy, but sales may be slowing currently due to a faltering economy...not sure yet.
Time will tell.
marcouvo (08-10-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Quote from the article: "I'd say that Corvette will have a car ready to race by next January, with a limited production version to follow in 2017. The full-on production car will hit in 2018 (even though the Detroit News says 2019)"
So the mid-engine Corvette will be unveiled in January and be available for "limited" production the same year? I don't think so.

Last edited by roadbike56; 08-09-2016 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:29 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Time has told and car sales have broken all records this year. Seems everywhere I go I see loads of new expensive vehicles.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...just like the loaded C7 Z06s are going for now.

To be fair, the C6 ZR1 was introduced near the start of a severe economic downturn which obviously affected sales of all Corvettes,
especially the higher-priced Z06 & ZR1 models.

The C7 Z06 was introduced during a better economy, but sales may be slowing currently due to a faltering economy...not sure yet.
Time will tell.
The data does not support that! Corvette sales have been strong during market lows.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I am sure some information on the build is coming from the Corvette Daytona Prototype even though not the same animal it is still a mid-engine and will help in the design.

Get notified of new replies

To Another 'Mid Engine' 'Vette Story - This one is interesting...

Old 08-10-2016, 09:02 AM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's the interesting thing about racing these days. If anyone gets dominant as the Ford GT was at LeMans in June, the performance penalties will soon follow as they surely did for Ford. If the C7 team wins another, I suspect the pendulum will swing back again.

It's not very hard to make what was a dominant car non-competitive, which is why the BOP is constantly being adjusted. It happened to Corvette at LeMans, and now Ford is getting it's dose of the same medicine.
I agree, and if from what I was told at VIR a couple of years ago is true, the sanctioning body does things like restrict the size of the fueling hose to slow down pit stops if they can't add any more performance penalties .
Old 08-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

It's very easy to significantly raise and lower power output on the turbocharged engines in the GT and Ferrari. What they've done in response to their LeMans dominance was to limit boost, hence power. All of a sudden the C7 is miraculously competitive again.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-10-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:11 AM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

What if GM is building a mid engined car and it is marketed with no relationship to the Corvette? In other words, its not a C8, but an entirely new line.

Last edited by Ernest_T; 08-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
JerryU (08-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Another 'Mid Engine' 'Vette Story - This one is interesting...