Sponsored by:

What's causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts
Default What's causing this?

Was rear ended last March. Long story short, picked a crap body shop. The lifetime warranty apparently isn't good after three months. We'll see what small claims court says (several issues across two vehicles).

I plan on having another shop, Richey Collision in Houston, take a look at it next week.

What might be the cause of these two problems , how much are we talking, etc..

The shark gray assembly around my right tail light is sticking out, not recessed. You can move it with your finger.

Another issue, the rear quarter panel isn't quite lining up.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:17 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Could be a broken tab on the trim. and a loose clip on the panel.

Last edited by GTFD2; 08-19-2016 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 PM
Team Player
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks like it might have been hit again to me.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

shoddy craftsmanship is what's causing that. Who picked the bodyshop?
Old 08-20-2016, 07:37 AM
DCortez
Drifting

^^^ I did and unfortunately the insurance company says I'm screwed so far as they are concerned, which I can understand and live with.

What I didn't know at the time was funds were released almost immediately. No leverage or approval process, just get your jalopy off my lot.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-20-2016 at 03:01 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post,especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

That is when you go to your insurance company and ask them to help you. You and a lawyer won't get anywhere with the offending person's insurance company but your insurance company will have the big stick required to handle their Customer's problem. That is one of the reasons you pay all of the big bucks to insurance companies. They are your bad asses when you need a bad ***.

Bill

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-20-2016 at 03:01 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post,especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That is when you go to your insurance company and ask them to help you.

Spoke to supervisors and both gave me the same answer. I picked the shop, I pick up the pieces.

Court is the last place I want to be. No offense to those on the government payroll.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:47 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

Seems to me you will have to have proof of the reason the repair failed before small claims court will be of use. Keep digging....
Old 08-21-2016, 10:02 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Taking it in for an estimate next week and will ask the guy what caused the problem. If it's Chevrolet, the body shop, mother nature, etc., we want to be fair and accurate. No reason to live a lie.

There's a little bit more to the story including more damage to the car, from front to back (literally from splitter to spoiler (looked like someone tried to saw concrete) to the stripes), interior damage (leather console, removable top, paint on leather door panel, dust all over the leather, etc.), and unfortunately, a second vehicle (I was out of town when wife picked car up then son was in an accident two days later).

Showed the shop 59 pictures of both vehicles on Monday, but the only thing they agreed to repairing was the sagging splitter and having another shop replace the stripes. Unfortunately, I didn't have some pics my wife and the insurance agent took, along with his email saying he never noticed the additional damage at the time of inspection.

Either way things go, I'm getting the car repaired. Had someone hit me in a parking lot and drove off, I'd be in the same boat.

Caveat Emptor
Old 08-21-2016, 10:55 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Negligence, incompetence, miscommunications, responsibility, what have ya, aside, more interested in opinions on the fix and possible cause. In another thread, a guy had a quarter panel/rear end alignment issue when temps were over 90. Turned out he needed a new mounting bracket of some sort.

Pic at the accident.

The next day

Old 08-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Oh man, I've been there. I let the insurance company (against my better judgement) talk me into taking the wife's Mustang to the dealer for some minor body work, and they had a lifetime warranty also. Like you, I found that included in the warranty was crappy work. If anything else show up I'm just gonna take it to a good body man, and pay for it out of my pocket. I hope you get that beauty taken car of. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To What's causing this?

Quick Reply: What's causing this?