Sponsored by:

Museum Pick-up and Winter travel in November

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 10:04 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Museum Pick-up and Winter travel in November

I am planning a museum delivery in November. Early or Later in month depending upon when the car is ready. I will be returning to Washington State. The most direct routes would take me through Montana in an northern route which has the potential for snow. My thought is to go a more southerly route through Texas to Las Vegas and then traveling north through Nevada or California.

I am looking at routes and pondering weather challenges. Would love to hear from anyone who has done something like this before this late in the year and any thoughts on my route options.

Would also be cool to hear what places you find interesting along the way.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 AM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

I live in Denver. I purchased my vehicle in December, from a dealership in Florida.

I had it shipped to me. One, I didn't want to be caught in snow, but further, even on dry roads, those summer tires become hard hockey pucks in cold weather.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:15 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
I am planning a museum delivery in November. Early or Later in month depending upon when the car is ready. I will be returning to Washington State. The most direct routes would take me through Montana in an northern route which has the potential for snow. My thought is to go a more southerly route through Texas to Las Vegas and then traveling north through Nevada or California.

I am looking at routes and pondering weather challenges. Would love to hear from anyone who has done something like this before this late in the year and any thoughts on my route options.

Would also be cool to hear what places you find interesting along the way.
Having lived on both coasts, I've made made this trip a half-dozen times and done all the routes. The best bet from a good weather standpoint at that time of year would be your route in bold. It's a short run from BG south to I-40, which I'd take all the way to Kingman, AZ, then start heading north from there.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-20-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:28 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Originally Posted by Foosh
Having lived on both coasts, I've made made this trip a half-dozen times and done all the routes. The best bet from a good weather standpoint at that time of year would be your route in bold. It's a short run from BG south to I-40, which I'd take all the way to Kingman, AZ, then start heading north from there.
Thank you that was my thought as well based upon what I could gather. Any idea about speed limits on I-40?

Taylor
Old 08-20-2016, 10:33 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

You could always have all weather tires swapped at a local dealership for the ride home (which is what a friend contemplated when taking a winter museum delivery).

Kinda sucks that you're faced with a driving dilemma with a museum delivery that costs you $1K more over a dealership delivery. Now your stuck with and extra set of tires to either leave at the dealership or have shipped home.

Still find it amazing that Chevy doesn't offer a "no charge" tire swap when ordering the car. Just check a box at ordering time "Summer Run Flats" or "All Season Run Flats". Or better yet.........."for those taking museum deliver we offer you a choice of tires for your ride home at no extra charge."

Certainly some will say just take it easy driving home, but if you are involved in a accident your liability increases to a potentially prosecutable offense as you are knowingly operating a vehicle on tires not designed for winter driving (with plenty of manufacturer warnings to that effect). Certainly not likely in any event, but there is always that that chance should a an accident occur.

The car does not handle well in cold weather especially with snow or ice added to the mix.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:38 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
You could always have all weather tires swapped at a local dealership for the ride home (which is what a friend contemplated when taking a winter museum delivery).

Kinda sucks that you're faced with a driving dilemma with a museum delivery that costs you $1K more over a dealership delivery. Now your stuck with and extra set of tires to either leave at the dealership or have shipped home.

Still find it amazing that Chevy doesn't offer a "no charge" tire swap when ordering the car. Just check a box at ordering time "Summer Run Flats" or "All Season Run Flats". Or better yet.........."for those taking museum deliver we offer you a choice of tires for your ride home at no extra charge."

Certainly some will say just take it easy driving home, but if you are involved in a accident your liability increases to a potentially prosecutable offense as you are knowingly operating a vehicle on tires not designed for winter driving (with plenty of manufacturer warnings to that effect). Certainly not likely in any event, but there is always that that chance should a an accident occur.

The car does not handle well in cold weather especially with snow or ice added to the mix.
My understanding is that the tires are rated down to 20 degree temperature pavement. Texas and the southern route should be well above that at that time of year.

I like the idea of swaping for all seasons but hate the idea of buying tires twice. Safety comes first though. If I were to go the northern route with all season tires, any thoughts on that? Or still thinking the southern route?

Taylor

Last edited by itaylorm; 08-20-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I've driven both my old '14 with the 18/19" tires and this '16 with the 19/20" Z51 tires in 20-30 degree weather in the mountains and they were OK. Just take the southern route and dont push it.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
I live in Denver. I purchased my vehicle in December, from a dealership in Florida.

I had it shipped to me. One, I didn't want to be caught in snow, but further, even on dry roads, those summer tires become hard hockey pucks in cold weather.
Ok, not to start a war, but I did a Museum delivery on my 2015 on February 5, and it was cold as in 32 degrees for a high that day and the next day Friday when I started back to Dallas. I had no issues driving in the cold weather. You do have to be mindful of the temperatures when the tires are cold to start, but they do warm up on the highway. The C7 is no worse or no better than other cars I've had with summer only tires (including an Audi A6, 2 Boxsters, and 4 911's/Carreras).

I think it's wise to avoid snow/freezing rain and the original poster can plan his route (Southern or direct) when the time comes.

On my delivery--no kidding they were predicting freezing rain and sleet the night before (Wednesday) and sunny but cold the rest of the week. I took my chances and flew in as scheduled, and they never got the freezing rain or sleet. Just watch the weather and be flexible on your travel plans/dates--the museum will be somewhat flexible, if there's bad weather. Just talk to them. And most of all enjoy the experience. Loved mine.

Video:

Last edited by boxster99t; 08-20-2016 at 04:46 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by boxster99t:
joemosfet (08-20-2016), mschuyler (08-20-2016), Never Settle (08-21-2016), r00t61 (08-22-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:07 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Thanks for Sharing and for giving your advise and experience

Taylor
Old 08-20-2016, 07:00 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Thank you that was my thought as well based upon what I could gather. Any idea about speed limits on I-40?
Taylor
In Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, the speed limit on I-40 is 75mph. It's 70 everywhere else.

November is not a particularly cold month in that part of the country, and there's absolutely no reason to worry about your summer tires. It's pavement (not air) temps that matter, and on that route, they'll be above 50ºF all the way, and likely quite a bit warmer.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:12 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Just stay away from I-90! You don't wanna go there!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I-65 south to Nashville, then the Natchez Trace Parkway to I-20 to Vicksburg, MS(easy driving to get your 500 mile break in done, and get your 500 mile oil change done in Vicksburg if you have a dry sump car). Visit the Civil War Battlefield in Vicksburg and look at the old Iron Clad warship they dug out of the Mississippi River. Then I-20 across Louisiana and Texas to I-10 in west Texas, and I-10 to California. Then north along the PCH to Washington.

Depending on the weather, you might want to run north off I-10 up to Fresno, CA and visit Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP and then Yosemite NP driving Hwy 120 over to US395. North on US395 and then Hwy 89 up through Lake Tahoe to Truckee, CA, then I-80 west to San Francisco. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge then take Hwy 1 and 101 north.

Driving this southern route, the Interstate speed limits are 75 in Louisiana, 75, 80 and 85 across Texas, 75 across New Mexico and 70 in California.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-20-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 PM
itaylorm
Pro

In Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas, the speed limit on I-40 is 75mph. It's 70 everywhere else.

November is not a particularly cold month in that part of the country, and there's absolutely no reason to worry about your summer tires. It's pavement (not air) temps that matter, and on that route, they'll be above 50ºF all the way, and likely quite a bit warmer.
Thank you! that is very helpful and what I was hoping
Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Just stay away from I-90! You don't wanna go there!
Agreed, that is my concern I live within an hour of I-90 pass and the snow is not something that I want to experience with my car

Taylor
Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I-65 south to Nashville, then the Natchez Trace Parkway to I-20 to Vicksburg, MS(easy driving to get your 500 mile break in done, and get your 500 mile oil change done in Vicksburg if you have a dry sump car). Visit the Civil War Battlefield in Vicksburg and look at the old Iron Clad warship they dug out of the Mississippi River. Then I-20 across Louisiana and Texas to I-10 in west Texas, and I-10 to California. Then north along the PCH to Washington.

Depending on the weather, you might want to run north off I-10 up to Fresno, CA and visit Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP and then Yosemite NP driving Hwy 120 over to US395. North on US395 and then Hwy 89 up through Lake Tahoe to Truckee, CA, then I-80 west to San Francisco. Cross the Golden Gate Bridge then take Hwy 1 and 101 north.

Driving this southern route, the Interstate speed limits are 75 in Louisiana, 75, 80 and 85 across Texas, 75 across New Mexico and 70 in California.
This is awesome information and very helpful. Eases my mind as I plan this trip. Vicksburg would be wonderful as I am a history buff and a photographer and would love to do some photography there. Went to Little Big Horn in 2013 and had a ball doing photography there.

Taylor
Old 08-21-2016, 10:34 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

This is awesome information and very helpful. Eases my mind as I plan this trip. Vicksburg would be wonderful as I am a history buff and a photographer and would love to do some photography there. Went to Little Big Horn in 2013 and had a ball doing photography there.

Taylor
If you are a history buff, then drive down to Natchez after visiting Vicksburg and visit the old civil war homes. There are four of them that are well worth taking the time to tour. Also stay at the Hotel Vue in Natchez.

Oh, and I recommend the La Quinta Inn while you are in Bowling Green, rated #2 on TripAdvisor, but with comfortable prices. Safe parking for your new Corvette.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-21-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:29 AM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

This was on 11/16/15, heading down I-40 from Texas to California. 26 degrees with the sun up.

Get notified of new replies

To Museum Pick-up and Winter travel in November

Old 08-21-2016, 11:32 AM
itaylorm
Pro

Originally Posted by DCortez
This was on 11/16/15, heading down I-40 from Texas to California. 26 degrees with the sun up.

Where on I 40 was this? Over the pass?
Old 08-21-2016, 02:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DCortez

There's a very good reason why there are permanent gates on I-40 in the high plains, that closes off I-40 and detours the traffic to the off ramps to places where you can wait out a snow.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:45 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by joemosfet

Do the NCM delivery experience then have it shipped to your door. Even weather in the Southeast can be unpredictable. It could be in the '60's one day and in the '20's the next.

Quick Reply: Museum Pick-up and Winter travel in November