Sponsored by:

Corvette eight speed automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 05:37 PM
bbcb
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Because just like your truck example there are less miles on the later 16s and the 17s. Yet there are early 15s with 20K miles and no problems, so its not a bad design.

GM didnt change or redesign anything, except for the check ball in the pump cover for delayed engagement. Many people without the redesigned parts had never had the delayed engagement. and some still had it after the TSB so what did it fix exactly?

According to GM the torque converters never really had any issues, as far as I know they have not been redesigned, they are just being replaced.

0% auto trans failure rate, impossible, unless you build 1 car a year and it lasts through the whole warranty
For a tranny that has so few problems it sure gets into many conversations ...This forum , Chevy Service Centers, magazines, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Ernest_T (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 05:52 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
For a tranny that has so few problems it sure gets into many conversations ...This forum , Chevy Service Centers, magazines, etc.
Looks like denial is one way to deal with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by RedC7AZ:
Ernest_T (08-21-2016), Skid Row Joe (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:05 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcb
Sure.

Look up ZF 9 speed autos on Jeep forums.

Or how about the Ford Focus transmissions.

Or how about that Jeep Cherokee (with an active recall) that slipped out of park recently and killed the star trek actor?

Or just for grins look up BMW HPFP issues, not transmissions but will leave you stuck on the side of the road way more often then a C7 A8 will.

When I was a warranty admin for Ford some large dealers were rebuilding two AODEs a day all year. While some cars would go 200K miles trouble free. Big difference was there was no car forums.

For the millionth time, I am not saying the A8 is perfect. I thought it sucked the first time I drove one without any issues, the way it was hyped up I was sure it would be better than my '14 A6. It wasnt.

And of course if you have problems that even makes it worse, but if you dont have problems why worry about it until something happens. then get it fixed or trade it in.

IMO GM took the A8 to market way too quick, I'm sure there is some hardware tweaking and software tweaking as they get newer. But I doubt you will see a major redesign since it is destined to be replaced with the A10. Remember in 2014 they said the C7 wouldnt get the A8 soon because it wouldnt 'fit.' Right

Someone start a class action suit against GM, if the problem is that widespread I'm sure something will come out of it.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez06
Gosh, Golly, you're not Black&White are you????
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.....

Nope, just a dissatisfied A8 owner at this point. If they had replaced the torque converter in January when I first had the issue, I wouldn't be bad mouthing GM or my dealer. Being told I had to live with it has soured me on both of them.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:13 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm very sorry for your experience, Ernest_T. That really does suck.
Hope things improve and you are able to enjoy your C7.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikez06:
Ernest_T (08-21-2016), Skid Row Joe (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by kp
Because just like your truck example there are less miles on the later 16s and the 17s. Yet there are early 15s with 20K miles and no problems, so its not a bad design.

GM didnt change or redesign anything, except for the check ball in the pump cover for delayed engagement. Many people without the redesigned parts had never had the delayed engagement. and some still had it after the TSB so what did it fix exactly?

According to GM the torque converters never really had any issues, as far as I know they have not been redesigned, they are just being replaced.

0% auto trans failure rate, impossible, unless you build 1 car a year and it lasts through the whole warranty
The new torque converter has a different part number so something's changed. My car started out shuddering in V4 mode--just a gentle hiccup, like a miss every two seconds. It's got progressively worse and now the thing shudders for two seconds about every two seconds in V4 mode. The transition from V4 to V8 and V8 to V4 is abrupt, almost like a shift change. My dealer says its the torque converter locking and unlocking.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by kp
Sure.

Look up ZF 9 speed autos on Jeep forums.

Or how about the Ford Focus transmissions.

Or how about that Jeep Cherokee (with an active recall) that slipped out of park recently and killed the star trek actor?

Or just for grins look up BMW HPFP issues, not transmissions but will leave you stuck on the side of the road way more often then a C7 A8 will.

When I was a warranty admin for Ford some large dealers were rebuilding two AODEs a day all year. While some cars would go 200K miles trouble free. Big difference was there was no car forums.

For the millionth time, I am not saying the A8 is perfect. I thought it sucked the first time I drove one without any issues, the way it was hyped up I was sure it would be better than my '14 A6. It wasnt.

And of course if you have problems that even makes it worse, but if you dont have problems why worry about it until something happens. then get it fixed or trade it in.

IMO GM took the A8 to market way too quick, I'm sure there is some hardware tweaking and software tweaking as they get newer. But I doubt you will see a major redesign since it is destined to be replaced with the A10. Remember in 2014 they said the C7 wouldnt get the A8 soon because it wouldnt 'fit.' Right

Someone start a class action suit against GM, if the problem is that widespread I'm sure something will come out of it.
I've got that damn ZF transmission in my Cherokee. I'm afraid to buy another new vehicle and get the trifecta!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

With the evolution of PIP5337 from A to D I think GM might actually have a fix for the issues now.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:36 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ernest_T
The new torque converter has a different part number so something's changed. My car started out shuddering in V4 mode--just a gentle hiccup, like a miss every two seconds. It's got progressively worse and now the thing shudders for two seconds about every two seconds in V4 mode. The transition from V4 to V8 and V8 to V4 is abrupt, almost like a shift change. My dealer says its the torque converter locking and unlocking.
Yes, the part number changed lol.

Could have been simply a different supplier or something else unrelated changed, good luck trying to find out because GM wont admit if there was a problem.

And yes it is the converter locking and unlocking, in V4 under light load the converter will unlock. If it doesnt unlock it will shudder at low rpm/light load in 4cyl mode. I drove an M7 car that shuttered pretty bad in 6th and 7th on the highway in V4 with the cruise on in ECO mode before it went into V8. In the mountains here its always going back and forth between V4 and V8 with the cruise on. I dont know if it was a bad engine mount or some other driveline imbalance but I'm not paid to fix them these days, just look for issues. M7 car is simple enough, take it out of ECO mode and no more V4.

I have went out of my way to take several A8 C7s on the highway and see if one shudders. I havent found a 'bad' one yet but certainly if you look at the tach and switching from V4 to V8 there is more than one thing happening.

There is a TSB and many complaints so I dont deny the highway shudder is there on some cars and trucks. Just havent felt it yet myself. On my own '16 the tach moves around a couple hundred rpm on a flat road when switching betwen V4 and V8 and I have tried my best to feel some shudder and it is none - zero. I have driven a few with the delayed engagement, one was freshly back from the stator/pump cover TSB and a new converter and it still had a couple second delay and banged into gear when it did go in. GM TSB says under three second delay and they arent going to touch it.

I never said people are crazy and nothing is wrong with the A8, like I posted before my wife's Jeep had three transmission in 5000 miles and the third finally worked OK. Except the dealer messed up the poor car so bad I wouldnt trust it for her to drive, parts were broken and literally falling off after the second replacement. Of course people on the Jeep boards said I was crazy and they have no problems, but not so much these days.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:57 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

With the evolution of PIP5337 from A to D I think GM might actually have a fix for the issues now.
I dunno, I have read where later than 11/15 cars and trucks still had the shudder.

Mine is a 7/15 build, 7K miles so far and many on the highway and its smooth as can be.

I do admit I often leave it in manual 7th gear on the highway often though, too much going between 7th and 8th and V4/V8 for my liking with all the hills. Maybe if I just left it in D it would be shuddering by now with all the converter lock/unlocks.

My biggest complaint was the car slamming hard into 1st when coming to a slow speed stop. not bad enough to knock off my glasses like some have said bt pretty annoying. I could make the car do it almost every time. Fast learn + plus the 3-1 drive learn totally eliminated it. It may come back though.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by kp
I dunno, I have read where later than 11/15 cars and trucks still had the shudder.

Mine is a 7/15 build, 7K miles so far and many on the highway and its smooth as can be.

I do admit I often leave it in manual 7th gear on the highway often though, too much going between 7th and 8th and V4/V8 for my liking with all the hills. Maybe if I just left it in D it would be shuddering by now with all the converter lock/unlocks.

My biggest complaint was the car slamming hard into 1st when coming to a slow speed stop. not bad enough to knock off my glasses like some have said bt pretty annoying. I could make the car do it almost every time. Fast learn + plus the 3-1 drive learn totally eliminated it. It may come back though.
It usually just shudders in V4 mode.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 AM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Compass
Good afternoon Corvette community

I just placed an order for 2017 grand sport Corvette I ordered it with the automatic transmission. Reviewing the form i've noticed that this transmission has many issues, am I making a mistake by ordering this transmission.
No problem with my A8, 2016 Stingray Z51. Built 11/15.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 AM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan
Well in my book, that's a good enough reason to get the '17 A8!
came with a 6 cyl too, you want one of those in your c7
Old 08-22-2016, 10:38 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Funny how one person with one troublesome A8(if you believe some on this forum) can cause so many transmission problems across the USA, and in multiple product lines.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-22-2016 at 10:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lancekl (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:33 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Funny how one person with one troublesome A8(if you believe some on this forum) can cause so many transmission problems across the USA, and in multiple product lines.
What exactly are you saying? There's only one person with a troublesome A8 on this forum? Or, that they are not having problems with the A8 in Chevrolet pickups? Or, that I'm making up rumors about the A8?

Last edited by Ernest_T; 08-22-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

What exactly are you saying? There's only one person with a troublesome A8 on this forum? Or, that they are not having problems with the A8 in Chevrolet pickups? Or, that I'm making up rumors about the A8?
What I'm saying is that there are some people on this forum that won't admit to there being a problem with the A8, when it's clear that multiple people are having problems and it's not just in the Corvette.

Thus the reference to "one person with one troublesome A8" as that's the depth of the problem as they see it.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-22-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

A lot of people on this forum think that GM can do no wrong when it comes to the Corvette.
Hope none of those have a transmission problem or failure after their warranty expires and GM does nothing for them. GM should step up now and extend the warranty on the A8 well past the five years because a lot of people don't put many miles on their cars..

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette eight speed automatic

Old 08-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Crossed Flags Fan View Post
Well in my book, that's a good enough reason to get the '17 A8!

Originally Posted by lancekl
came with a 6 cyl too, you want one of those in your c7
Not sure if you took it seriously, but it was meant as sarcasm....just sayin.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
What I'm saying is that there are some people on this forum that won't admit to there being a problem with the A8, when it's clear that multiple people are having problems and it's not just in the Corvette.

Thus the reference to "one person with one troublesome A8" as that's the depth of the problem as they see it.
Got it. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:43 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Are the A8 problems more common with the Stingray vs. the Z06? I thought I read earlier that the Z06 A8 has different components and TQ. Heat soak issues aside.

Quick Reply: Corvette eight speed automatic