C7 Stingray Overheating

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:33 PM
cep1932
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default C7 Stingray Overheating

Tadge thank you ahead of time for your answers . My wife and I drove our 2014 Corvette non Z51 and automatic 11800 miles to South Carolina from Cincinnati Ohio we had been driving around 5 hours and got to I40 and traffic dead stopped semi overturned all lanes shut down so we were idling and barley moving and temperature started going up then screen says engine overheating turn off ac and idle so I did then I pulled over and shut it off opened hood noticed it lost some antifreeze so I waited for it to cool down ended up putting in about a half gallon of antifreeze, got back on I40 temp stayed about 218 to 220. it was about 90 degrees outside no problem the rest of the way. Believe it or not we were coming home 6 days later on I75 north and another accident shut it down for 3 hours, we had been driving 8 hours and came to a halt at idle and creeping I noticed it getting hot around 240 to 250 slowly going up so I shut it off and when we started moving again it was ok went to 220 and stayed there all the way home about 3hours. Should I take it to a dealer ? I need to have my top looked at squeaking and popping. Thanks for reading.

Jerry S Terry
Old 08-22-2016, 05:11 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by cep1932
Should I take it to a dealer ? I need to have my top looked at squeaking and popping.
Take it to a dealer. Moved from "Ask Tadge" to "C7 General".
Old 08-22-2016, 08:30 AM
btorlv
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by btorlv View Post

Mine has overheated twice the first time in they just checked the fan connecter and gave it back to me. Always overheated when in traffic going really slow. This time in GM had them take the pump off and inspect it plus change the fluid and replace the thermostat. Both times the fan was not running when it overheated. The difference I noticed now is the fan runs a lot more then it ever did and both the digital and analog gauges are only a few degrees different and before they were 20 degrees apart. Now when I'm in traffic I can hear the fan running at high speed and the gauge will drop from 220 to 210 and when its really hot the fan will run a few after I shut the car off which it never did before

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Stingray Overheating

Quick Reply: C7 Stingray Overheating