Sponsored by:

C7-soft top-how to wash and dry

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:46 PM
jhill
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C7-soft top-how to wash and dry

Just bought a convertible. How do you wash the soft top? Same as the car, soap, water, dry? I read where some use leaf blowers to dry. Does the leaf blower cause any damage to the soft top?

Thanks for any insight
Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

A number of CO makes a soap are cleaner for them. But I like Surf City stuff seems to work really good but for only used it one time on the c7. But used it at least 2 to 3 dozen times on the c5 tops.

NAPA is a vendor for this stuff but the one store here only has a small display for the stuff..

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 08-24-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the OP, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:04 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

I have used a kit made by 303 on my last 2 convertibles. Did it right after purchase; didn't really need to use the cleaner, but put on the protector. Taped plastic over glass so to keep it off all except the top. I let it dry good per directions. I then just wash off the top with water hose when I wash the entire car.
303 (30520) Convertible Fabric Top Cleaning and Care Kit
Amazon has it now.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:53 AM
purple heart
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

I have used NOTHING but water without soap everytime I wash my convertible. I hose it off first from the either the left side first, then when I get over to the right side of the car, I hose it off from that side. I soap the windows but NOT on the top. After soaping the entire car and rinsing it off, I use a heavy duty shower towel to dry off the top first, then put it aside and use regular towels to dry off the rest of the car. NEVER used soap yet...1994 vert, 1996 CE Vert, 2005 vert, 2008 vert and now my 2016 vert!
I read somewhere in the past that soaps will wear off the convertible top coating it comes with from the factory.
No problems yet!
The following 2 users liked this post by purple heart:
Corgidog1 (08-25-2016), dvilin (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by purple heart
I have used NOTHING but water without soap everytime I wash my convertible. I hose it off first from the either the left side first, then when I get over to the right side of the car, I hose it off from that side. I soap the windows but NOT on the top. After soaping the entire car and rinsing it off, I use a heavy duty shower towel to dry off the top first, then put it aside and use regular towels to dry off the rest of the car. NEVER used soap yet...1994 vert, 1996 CE Vert, 2005 vert, 2008 vert and now my 2016 vert!
I read somewhere in the past that soaps will wear off the convertible top coating it comes with from the factory.
No problems yet!
+1

I use water only and air dry. The tops have a protective coating, and any detergent product used on it is likely to slowly but surely remove it.

Over time, it will wear away naturally, but on a 3-5 yr. old car there should be no reason to use anything more than water unless the car sits outside under trees all the time.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by purple heart
No problems yet!
too . . . I rarely even use my windshield washer to keep soap off the top unless really needed. Just water and a microfiber works great for me.

Regarding treating new tops, years ago I found a technical type the company that makes 303 product, and asked them if I should treat a new top. Gave me a really nice, honest reply (TLDR version: NO, don't treat a new top) Here is the reply:
ALL* outdoor fabrics, INCLUDING automotive fabric convertible topping, come new
with a protective “fluoropolymer” fabric finish put on at the mill. The reasons
for this protective chemical finish are THREEFOLD:

1) To resist soiling. Treated fabrics stay cleaner much longer before soiling
(than untreated fabrics), and clean up easier when finally soiled.
2) To protect against indelible stains. Stains that otherwise would be
indelible, are usually quite easily removed from fabric because of this finish.
3) To provide and maintain water repellency.

No matter what type of outdoor fabric you have or what company manufactured it,
the protective fabric finish will diminish over time. Eventually routine care,
“cleaning and re-treating”, is required. An informed person will know when to
do this by observation....noticing the lessening and, if not done then,
inevitably the complete loss of water repellency. It is best to clean and
re-treat when diminished water repellency is first noticed. Don’t wait until
there’s no water repellency at all.

Diminishing water repellency is also the time at which when one starts to notice
soiling. Diminishing water repellency....often accompanied by the onset of
soiling….these are indicators that it is time to clean and “re-treat” the
outdoor fabric.

So, should one “treat” outdoor fabric when it is new? NO. It is not
recommended or necessary.

Last edited by JonMN; 08-25-2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:45 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

So far I have only hosed off my 2014 C7s top, amazingly rain will loosen dirt that imbeds in the fabric. I use a sponge to remove excess water (caution; never use a product that will leave lint, it is really a pain to remove).
Old 08-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Drive-C7
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a 2014 Vert and top is like new. When you park in the garage get a small bed sheet to cover the top whenever you are not driving it to keep the dust off. When you do wash it a small amount of suds will help wash the dirt off. Water alone, in my opinion, will not get road grime off. The black stuff coming off on your paper towel when you wash the windshield is the same stuff going on to your top. Do not rub top when drying. Pat the top with soft chamois. A cloth can leave fibers on your top. Pat with chamois only. If possible leave car in a sunny area for awhile to dry top. Never cover a wet top. In addition, I bought a real ocean sponge which when wet is the softness I wanted to wash my car and top.

Last edited by Drive-C7; 08-25-2016 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

There's really nothing special you need to do for the top. Like others I'll rinse it off, and if it needs I'll use a mild soap, and good cloth towel (as it's said one that doesn't leave lint). The top on my '07 was 9 years old when traded, and it still looked new (sans the fold lines) .

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy that drop top.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 08-25-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:49 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Have a 2014. Top is like new. Could be because it is hardly ever up.

Get notified of new replies

To C7-soft top-how to wash and dry

Quick Reply: C7-soft top-how to wash and dry