Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette etiquette question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Binh360
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mind people asking me how much is my Vette but I do hate it when they lean and touch my car especially when your at a car just been washed.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:12 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I have no problem telling people what the window sticker on my car was and what I actually paid for it. I simply don't understand why people have a problem with that. Sounds like some sort of insecurity to me.
I agree-its not like that asked you how much money do you make. On the other hand, since some people may consider it rude, it probably is poor form to ask the question.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:19 PM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan
How would you guys have handled this?
Easy: Throat punch.

Seriously ... Why anyone would have a problem telling someone how much they paid for a car - any car - is beyond me.

If you bought one of those expensive refrigerators with WiFi, the big tablet computer on the front and the cameras inside , would you have a problem telling someone how much you paid for that? Same difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by atvBob:
funx600 (08-25-2016), Steve_R (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:23 PM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I can't stand it when people touch my (black) car. I try not to say anything -- to people not into cars/paint, you just come across as ridiculously **** -- but sometimes I can't help it.

The following 2 users liked this post by fugly1:
l.i. bruce fan (08-25-2016), mikez06 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:26 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

OMG that made me truly LOL!
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
fugly1 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 03:35 PM
herman2p
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem telling people what the window sticker on my car was and what I actually paid for it. I simply don't understand why people have a problem with that. Sounds like some sort of insecurity to me.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:46 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

If there're truly interested I often let people sit in my C7. But I always ask this first. "Please make sure there is nothing in your back pockets before getting in." You'd be surprised how many pull out keys, cell phones, etc at that point.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Indy-hp
Le Mans Master

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I've gotten attitude from some people about the cost of these cars, whether justified or jealousy I can't say, so when asked how much I paid, I always respond: "less than a fully-loaded Suburban," which is true.

People touching my car doesn't bother me, though I won't touch someone else's car unless I'm invited to.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:24 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

If someone asked me today how much I paid for my car, I truly wouldn't know. I'd have to go look it up. It's something I just don't have ingrained in my mind as a number I need to know. I know it's less than 70K but that's about it.

If asked, I generalize or use the pickup or Suburban reference since that's what most people know.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:46 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think you handled it just fine.
and you showed a lot more tolerance than I would. I don't like anyone to lean on my truck or my other car.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:17 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
This may seem strange to all you car peeps but most people have no idea of what cars cost. To them a lambo or Ferrari looks just like a Corvette. Perhaps the reason people ask is because they actually have no idea what they sell for, all they know is that it is a lot. ...

Besides, once you drive one you'll have to agree no matter what you paid you got a great deal because you get to drive it.

I don't think most "strangers" have a clue what they're 'worth'. (Hell, I didn't know how much they MSRP'd for when I first started looking for a car--and I wasn't looking for a c7 Vette then.) I'm not very sociable; I'm just not a talker, nor am I outgoing. For example, at a gas station a woman came up to me and started up a conversation about my car ('03 z06). She was just being sociable and finally popped a query--"would you like to hear about our Corvette club (about 60 miles away)?" And my response was, "no thanks, I'm not interested. I'm not trying to be an asp about this, but I'm just not the socializing type" (and it's just a car I drive and waste time over [in the forums]).

But even with that, I am conscious of "our reputation" as Vette owners--whatever 'our' reputation is... fill that in for yourself--so when folks try to strike up a conversation, I'll do my best to be outgoing and patient. When friends saw the older Vette, they went nuts. They were pleased for us, *very* curious about the car, etc.,etc. ... and almost none of them had a clue where the MSRP price range stood. I'd do like most and say, base cost is X, and fully-optioned they'll cost Y; but I bought this used, so I paid less.

One friend was really curious; he'd modded a Supra GT for Laguna Seca, and he specifically asked what I paid. I took his curiosity at face value, thinking he was wondering if he could mash the numbers and get into an older z06. Strangers probably wanna know out of curiosity, too. They're strangers--they don't care how much money you make.

There's an old saying that fits here--"if they're truly your friends and they sincerely wanna know something about you, tell'em the truth. They deserve it. And if they're not your friends, tell'em anyway. For those people, who cares what they think?" They'll be out of your life forever in the 'turn of your back'.
The following 2 users liked this post by dork:
L8ter (08-25-2016), Patches (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:24 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I thank people for their interest but I always have a pressing appointment and have to go.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:32 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez06
It's frickin' rude, period.
That's not an answer! It's like asking somebody "Why?" and their answer is "Because". Not an answer. Why to you think it's rude? I mean I understand the often quoted reason of "It's none of their business" and yes you don't have to tell them. But what exactly is the harm in telling them? I can never figure that part out. As Walt says, it's most likely some odd sort of insecurity.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
That's not an answer! It's like asking somebody "Why?" and their answer is "Because". Not an answer. Why to you think it's rude? I mean I understand the often quoted reason of "It's none of their business" and yes you don't have to tell them. But what exactly is the harm in telling them? I can never figure that part out. As Walt says, it's most likely some odd sort of insecurity.
Yeah it's rude. Answer these rude questions.

How much did you pay for house?
How much money do you earn?
How much money do you have in the bank?

Etc. etc. etc
Old 08-25-2016, 05:42 PM
mikez06
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
And you feel you have to answer these rude people, why?
I don't waste any time on rude people, I EASILY can walk away.
Is that rude?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:47 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601

Etc. etc. etc
Yes there are questions that are rude. "When did you stop beating your wife?" It's a fricken car.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:51 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Bill17601

Etc. etc. etc
I'll tell anyone who asks what I paid for our house (which is public record and easy to look up anyway) or any of our cars. There's no personal info in those numbers and nothing the person could do with the info. I wouldn't tell them what my salary is or how much we have in the bank or investments as that's confidential financial info. Big difference. I don't think a question about how much a car (or house, or whatever) is rude at all and can't think of any reason anyone would find it rude.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette etiquette question

Old 08-25-2016, 05:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

unless it's a hot chick asking the questions, I'm as short and vague as possible, I don't have the time or patience.
The following 2 users liked this post by themonk:
lpabsolute (09-02-2016), mikez06 (08-26-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

My experience has been that most people that ask that question are truly surprised about how "cheap" a Corvette is. Maybe that's why so many uptight people here don't want others to know. It might deflate their fragile ego.
Steve_R (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 06:06 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

On the occasions where I'm asked how much, I always politely say 'I never discuss what my cars cost me'. It's been pretty effective in terminating that part of the discussion and it moves on. Before I did this, the next question was 'what's the payment', 'what do you do for a living', 'where do you live', are you married, kids, etc. Ask me something about the car, that's why you came over in the first place. Some people are unnecessarily nosy and I'm somewhat of a private person. And yes, I do find these questions to be rude. If you don't, well, different strokes....

However I'll always let a kid sit in the car if they look like they're polite and under control. I had a kid stand on the side pipes of my T-Bucket once while his dad watched him LOL. In the Vette now I always say 'Hey Tiger, when you sit in a Vette you just gotta fasten your seat belt before this thing gets away from you!' Makes 'em laugh, keeps him in the seat, I take a phone picture, unfasten his belt and help him out. No problems.
mikez06 (08-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Corvette etiquette question