Dash Bubble

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 PM
jspridge
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lancekl
Service advisor is clueless.
Had mine replaced, they did it while I waited. Was at the dealership for about an hour.
It seems as though your replacement was a different part than what the OP needs to have replaced. Dash trim vs, the dash cover itself. The full dash replacement is a 10-16 hour job.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:55 PM
jspridge
Instructor

Looks like this in mid replacement process.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:58 PM
jspridge
Instructor

one more, for those of you who like to witness carnage...
Old 09-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,146 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by jspridge
one more, for those of you who like to witness carnage...
Like I said in my earlier post, I would think long and hard before having my dash replaced because of two tiny air bubbles. Then again, I'm not the one with the air bubbles.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:32 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

That's definitely a job that ends with a handful of parts that you're not quite sure where they were supposed to go so you just put them in a drawer.
The following 2 users liked this post by spearfish25:
Maxie2U (10-01-2016), Z06NJ (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 09:15 AM
jspridge
Instructor

Originally Posted by spearfish25
That's definitely a job that ends with a handful of parts that you're not quite sure where they were supposed to go so you just put them in a drawer.
The project took me 16 hours and more patience than I usually have. There is no DIY posted anywhere for removal/replacement of the entire dash, so I had to just figure it out. Great learning experience though. Our cars are very well built, and they aren't too difficult to take apart and rebuild either. I finished the project with one spare screw. The new dash doesn't have any rattles or creaks either. They built the parts to prevent that from happening, and that fact is evident once you see them all on the shop floor.

Last edited by jspridge; 10-01-2016 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
ssidekickbp (10-01-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 10:57 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Update. Last week I visited the NCM and assembly plant in Bowling Green. After taking the factory tour, I spoke with employees there about the "dash bubble" problem and got the real scoop on the nature of the repair. At the plant, the flawed part is called a "batwing" and the replacement requires the removal of accessible torx screws securing the grab handle portion, and lifting the piece enough to release a series of clips around the part. If all goes well, the job should take 15-20 minutes, and up to 45 minutes if technician "...gets into trouble...".

Here's where the saga gets interesting. After wife and I got back home, I called the service advisor and informed him of my findings. He Responded that GM allowed 5+ hours for the job, and that they have done it on 2 cars and even more time was needed. I responded that the information from the assembly plant (and a few posters here on the forum) was correct and that if the dealership wouldn't do the repair that way - on a " will wait basis" I would have the repair done at another dealership. I also said that I did not want unnecessary "major surgery" on the car if not needed or called for and if it did turn out that such was the only cure, I would not have the repair done at all. He responded that we wouldn't know how much time the job required until they began the repair. At this point I felt the conversation was going nowhere and not wanting to further debate with him, I thanked him for his time and ended the call.

This morning he called me back and reported that he made a further study of the issue and if the part needed was The one I described, the job would in fact be a short one and I could wait for the car, and that he could get the part for replacement by the end of this week. "If the part was the one I described???" This after sending him pictures of it! (See post bellow for clear pix of location of part.)

Bottom line- I will have this done there later this week. In my mind, at best it was an honest mistake by the service advisor which illustrated his lack of knowledge in correctly diagnosing the repair, or at worst it demonstrated an attempt by the dealership to defraud both me the consumer and GM who would compensate the dealer for the warrantied repair, and if I had not gotten the correct info directly from the assembly plant the outcome could have been very different. What do you think?

Last edited by carjo; 10-11-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:06 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Pix I Previously sent to dealer.

Last edited by carjo; 10-11-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,146 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Originally Posted by carjo

Pix I Previously sent to dealer.
Since I haven't noticed any "bat wings" nor have I looked for any I think I will avoid taking a closer at the dash. "What I don't know will not hurt" or bother me.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 10-11-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:28 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Dash Bubbles

Detailing my '15 'Vert this weekend I noticed some bumps/bubbles on the upper dash I had not noticed. Since my B to B expires in Sept I took it by the dealer today and they are ordering me the replacement dash "top" part to cure this 3LT Interior problem.

They were not sure what part(s) they would need but called later to say they would be in within a week.

I included a couple of pictures that really do not show how pronounced the bubbles are.... they seem to vary with temp!?

Anyway, wanted to share with folks in case it helps you avoid having to pay or try a DIY fix down the road.....LK

Last edited by lennykoll; 07-25-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:30 PM
digicom1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get it taken care of soon this happened to me and my car went out of warranty by 300 miles and they will not cover it called gm and because it it a known issue they will only help with 750.00 of the 2000 to replace dash
Old 03-10-2018, 04:26 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by carjo
In my mind, at best it was an honest mistake by the service advisor which illustrated his lack of knowledge in correctly diagnosing the repair, or at worst it demonstrated an attempt by the dealership to defraud both me the consumer and GM who would compensate the dealer for the warrantied repair, and if I had not gotten the correct info directly from the assembly plant the outcome could have been very different. What do you think?
At most dealerships such mistakes are honest ones, and it's probably best to assume so until proven otherwise. Most people want to do a good job, and I am sure there are a lot of dealerships that never will have seen this repair before. I always try to be the guy that they want to see again, not the guy they dread, and this tends to pay dividends in people going the extra mile for me.

Quick Reply: Dash Bubble