Sponsored by:

Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:37 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
AHA, I hope the GM Engineers are as honest as you appear to be. I wish you well. How will you be able to verify their results if they rule against you?
With a Z51 package, operators' manual directed track setup, 1 + 5 different track settings + an all off mode, cooling rings, launch control, etc, I'm as surprised as anyone that this issue is occurring. The differential/axle ratio is 2.73:1 no matter what gear you are in obviously.

I usually start the day on Track Dry mode, then work up to Track Sport 1 mode in the afternoon. I've never gone higher that that; I like keeping some StabiliTrack dialed in. I'm no racer nor plan to ever be one.

If something is denied without evidence of anything I did wrong, there's always a list online of emails and mobiles at HQ, but I'm not planning on going that route. I'm being forthright and have nothing to hide.

I will continue to view this as a mistaken call at the local level that has been corrected and plan on the best outcome. I believe no one up the chain wants bad press for the C7. I've been a bike guy for 45 years, and have a GSX- R600 I also track. This is my first sports car and I'm very happy with it so far starting from my museum delivery in 2014.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:52 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bikevette
I am paying for whatever repair is necessary. GM then, after any parts are sent to them if the dealer determines it's necessary, and GM engineering then determines me to not be at fault, I'm told will then reimburse me.
Don't do it, brother.
Stick to your guns.
Keep your money in your pocket and make GM do the right thing.
Good luck.
I have faith GM will do the right thing.
The community is watching.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:16 AM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 16sedanSS
Don't do it, brother.
Stick to your guns.
Good luck.
Thanks for the good words, really appreciate it, but that's the deal I agreed to in order to minimize this hassle as much as possible. I assume a professional engineering department, if this even goes that far. I did nothing abnormal, they can pull codes, and I recommended to the service manager that they do so.

Last edited by bikevette; 09-18-2016 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 AM
driver9
Drifting

Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Don't do it, brother.
Stick to your guns.
Good luck.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:29 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

I didn't mean to insinuate that the GM Reg. Rep's turnaround was related to this forum entry. My only intent is to share my experience with other HPDE guys like myself. Prior to me entering this thread, I told the dealer to call the Rep. to have him call me about my concerns re: his decision. Apparently the dealer explained my concerns to the Rep., and the Rep. decided to change his mind. I doubt in that short of a time two and two could be put together that fast regarding this forum thread.

Whether the dealer had any influence on the Rep's. decision I have no idea. My only speculation, and it's only speculation, is that dealer's don't get reimbursed by car companies very well for warranty work, compared to what they charge a customer for hourly rates.

I continue to hope that GM will step up here. I can't imagine anything I did that would cause an eLSD failure. The noticeable "clunking" noise came out of nowhere. If they do, I will post here and commend them for their decision.
True about the dealers not getting reimbursed for what it costs to do the job. They reimbursed my dealer about 30% of the cost for replacing my rear end.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:34 AM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

With a Z51 package, operators' manual directed track setup, 1 + 5 different track settings + an all off mode, cooling rings, launch control, etc, I'm as surprised as anyone that this issue is occurring. The differential/axle ratio is 2.73:1 no matter what gear you are in obviously.

I usually start the day on Track Dry mode, then work up to Track Sport 1 mode in the afternoon. I've never gone higher that that; I like keeping some StabiliTrack dialed in. I'm no racer nor plan to ever be one.

If something is denied without evidence of anything I did wrong, there's always a list online of emails and mobiles at HQ, but I'm not planning on going that route. I'm being forthright and have nothing to hide.

I will continue to view this as a mistaken call at the local level that has been corrected and plan on the best outcome. I believe no one up the chain wants bad press for the C7. I've been a bike guy for 45 years, and have a GSX- R600 I also track. This is my first sports car and I'm very happy with it so far starting from my museum delivery in 2014.
Keep at them, had the rear on my Z06 replaced after doing a few hot laps with a lead car in front of us at the Museum. Developed a whine and they fixed it. Now as good if not better than new.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Jackie Chiles
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
It all depends upon what the warranty says. Car manufacturers don't even have to offer a warranty. It's not about what you think they can or can't do. It depends upon the warranty exclusions.
Yes, that's critical, but you also have to look at the car's track usage in comparison to the way the manufacturer markets the car. In other words, if Ford sells me a GT350 with a Track Pack but won't warranty a part failure that occurs on track I'd send them a letter threatening to sue them under the Moss-Magnussen warranty act as well as a claim under NY law for false advertising.

Nothing is a garunteed winner, but those letters usually work.

And like Village Idiot said, I'm not wasting 7-10 hours of time dealing with nincompoops on the phone.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:10 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

OP, Glad to read that they are reconsidering covering the cost of repairs. And you were correct about warranty work paying less to the dealership.

For those who said clean it up and take it another dealership, ethics aside, that would be a waste of time because the warranty block would be in the "system" and no dealership would touch it.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:25 PM
RedC6
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What's next? Buying a pickup truck that is supposed to haul 9K lbs and when you do, it breaks. Take it to the dealer, and a wise *** regional rep comes out and says, YEP, you been using this for work and to haul stuff, we aren't going to cover the warranty! And look at that bed, it has scrapes, you've been hauling stuff!!

The following users liked this post:
Eff A Ford (09-19-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 09:47 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles
Yes, that's critical, but you also have to look at the car's track usage in comparison to the way the manufacturer markets the car. In other words, if Ford sells me a GT350 with a Track Pack but won't warranty a part failure that occurs on track I'd send them a letter threatening to sue them under the Moss-Magnussen warranty act as well as a claim under NY law for false advertising.

Nothing is a garunteed winner, but those letters usually work.

And like Village Idiot said, I'm not wasting 7-10 hours of time dealing with nincompoops on the phone.
You are still missing the point, and the Magnesson Moss act is not meant to force a manufacturer to cover anything that the owner happens to think they should. It's all about what the warranty says and what it excludes. Any other discussion is meaningless.

And advertising a car as having a Track Pack is in no way shape or form implying that it has a warranty. NASCAR engines are designed only for racing, but that doesn't mean whoever builds them has to warranty them.

I have yet to see anything on this thread actually tell us what the warranty says despite the fact that is all that matters.

Last edited by jschindler; 09-18-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:52 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
not true. pretty certain federal law mandates a minimum warranty for certain items as well as each state has a mandatory minimum for things as well..
You'll have to prove me wrong because I don't even remotely believe that.
But to offer some insight, I like to fact check things, and I'm right...
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0252-warranties
Old 09-18-2016, 10:35 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the good words, really appreciate it, but that's the deal I agreed to in order to minimize this hassle as much as possible. I assume a professional engineering department, if this even goes that far. I did nothing abnormal, they can pull codes, and I recommended to the service manager that they do so.
I just fear you're giving up too much leverage by giving them your cash.
Good luck.
It's a disgrace that GM is letting it get this far.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:39 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Taken from your reference;
Implied Warranties
Implied warranties are created by state law, and all states have them. Almost every purchase you make is covered by an implied warranty.

The most common type of implied warranty—a "warranty of merchantability," means that the seller promises that the product will do what it is supposed to do. For example, a car will run and a toaster will toast.

Another type of implied warranty is the "warranty of fitness for a particular purpose." This applies when you buy a product on the seller's advice that it is suitable for a particular use. For example, a person who suggests that you buy a certain sleeping bag for zero-degree weather warrants that the sleeping bag will be suitable for zero degrees.

If your purchase does not come with a written warranty, it is still covered by implied warranties unless the product is marked "as is," or the seller otherwise indicates in writing that no warranty is given. Several states, including Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Vermont, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia, do not permit "as is" sales.

If problems arise that are not covered by the written warranty, you should investigate the protection given by your implied warranty. Implied warranty coverage can last as long as four years, although the length of the coverage varies from state to state. A lawyer or a state consumer protection office can provide more information about implied warranty coverage in your state.
Jackie Chiles (09-21-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 02:21 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

You are still missing the point, and the Magnesson Moss act is not meant to force a manufacturer to cover anything that the owner happens to think they should. It's all about what the warranty says and what it excludes. Any other discussion is meaningless.

And advertising a car as having a Track Pack is in no way shape or form implying that it has a warranty. NASCAR engines are designed only for racing, but that doesn't mean whoever builds them has to warranty them.

I have yet to see anything on this thread actually tell us what the warranty says despite the fact that is all that matters.
Most states (probably all) have laws that require something to be fit for its intended purpose (implied warranty of merchantability, being fit for their purpose, etc).

Under these laws, they also can't sell you a car, advertise it as having a warranty, advertising it as fit for track use then not honoring the warranty if you use it on the track. As someone mentioned, that's like selling a truck with a towing package, rating for 10k lbs of towing, advertising that it comes with a warranty and voiding the warranty for towing (sub 10k lbs).

It's bait and switch. It's false advertising. It's a number of actionable items (at least in Texas).

Last edited by village idiot; 09-19-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

But there are still exclusions in virtually all warranties. Let's ask this another way. If an attorney is contacted, what do you think is the first thing he will want to do? Read the warranty, that's what.

And no, it's not like rating a truck for a specific tow rating and then not covering it. Show me where the Corvette is rated for tracking the car. It's not. Go back to my example about building and selling NASCAR engines. Do you think the company's that build those engines are required to warranty them?

Look, they might cover the Corvette for track use under the factory warranty, I don't know. But it would appear to me that not a single person on this forum has read the warranty because nobody has called me out on that point. Over the years many car manufacturers have denied warranty claims under a broad statement that it falls under abuse, and in many cases the warranties actually say racing is not covered. And I get that people will argue that tracking is not racing, but again, it's all about what the warranty says is covered and is not covered.

In my 15 years on this forum this very issue has been argued many times and many times the claims have been denied. And many times GM has covered the damages. Buy it's sure not a slam dunk.

Last edited by jschindler; 09-19-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:31 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

But there are still exclusions in virtually all warranties. Let's ask this another way. If an attorney is contacted, what do you think is the first thing he will want to do? Read the warranty, that's what.

And no, it's not like rating a truck for a specific tow rating and then not covering it. Show me where the Corvette is rated for tracking the car. It's not. Go back to my example about building and selling NASCAR engines. Do you think the company's that build those engines are required to warranty them?

Look, they might cover the Corvette for track use under the factory warranty, I don't know. But it would appear to me that not a single person on this forum has read the warranty because nobody has called me out on that point. Over the years many car manufacturers have denied warranty claims under a broad statement that it falls under abuse, and in many cases the warranties actually say racing is not covered. And I get that people will argue that tracking is not racing, but again, it's all about what the warranty says is covered and is not covered.

In my 15 years on this forum this very issue has been argued many times and many times the claims have been denied. And many times GM has covered the damages. Buy it's sure not a slam dunk.
Dude, you're missing me the point. No no is required to warranty anything- right. But you can't sell a warranty and then not honor it because the product was used in the exact way you marketed it, sold it and intended for it to be used.

I don't have to fix your house if it floods. If I enter into an agreement where I say "I will fix your house if it floods" then I have to fix it when it floods. Just because you don't have to offer a warranty doesn't mean you don't have to honor it when you sell it with one.

People rely on the representation when they buy the car. You don't think the price/demand for a C7 would be substantially lower if it came with no warranty? Or even no warranty if put on a race track with the Z51 package? You don't think people take that into consideration when buying a car? I sure as hell do. I wouldn't buy a new car if there was no warranty. WTF is the point over a 2 year old one with 5k miles?
Old 09-19-2016, 09:44 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Chevrolet's general warranty coverage statement -
http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty.html

Taken from the 2016 Corvette owners manual -
162 Driving and Operating
Track Events and Competitive Driving
Caution
Not changing the engine oil to 15W-50 may cause engine damage. Engine oil must be changed to 15W-50 synthetic. See Capacities and Specifications 0 312.
The vehicle may straighten out. Be ready for a second skid if it occurs.
. Slow down and adjust your driving according to weather conditions. Stopping distance can be longer and vehicle control can be affected when traction is reduced by water, snow, ice, gravel, or other material on the road. Learn to recognize warning clues — such as enough water, ice, or packed snow on the road to make a mirrored surface — and slow down when you have any doubt.
. Try to avoid sudden steering, acceleration, or braking, including reducing vehicle speed by shifting to a lower gear. Any sudden changes could cause the tires to slide.
Engine Oil
Participating in track events or other competitive driving without following the instructions provided may affect
the vehicle warranty. See the warranty manual before using the vehicle for racing or other
competitive driving.
Z51 Performance Package and Z06 Only: Check the oil level often during track events and competitive driving and keep the level at or near
0.5 L (0.5 qt) above the upper mark that shows the proper operating range on the engine oil dipstick. After the competitive driving,
remove excess oil so that the level on the dipstick is not above the upper mark that shows the proper
operating range.
Refer to Competitive Driving Mode 0 198.
Be sure to follow all service
procedures before driving the vehicle at track events or competitively.
Caution
If the vehicle is used for track events and competitive driving, the engine may use more oil than it would with normal use. Low oil levels can damage the engine. Check the oil level often and maintain the proper level. See Engine Oil 0 223.
Stingray without Z51 Performance Package: Additional oil fill above the upper mark on the dipstick is not
recommended for track events or other competitive driving. Check the oil level often during racing or other competitive driving and keep the
level at or near the upper mark that
Remember: Antilock brakes help avoid only the braking skid.

198 Driving and Operating
Competitive Driving Mode
If equipped, Competitive Driving Mode, Performance Traction Management, and Launch Control
are systems designed to allow increased performance while accelerating and/or cornering. This is accomplished by regulating and
optimizing the engine, brakes, and suspension performance. These modes are for use at a closed
course race track and are not intended for use on public roads. They will not compensate for driver inexperience or lack of familiarity
with the race track. Drivers who prefer to allow the system to have more control of the engine, brake, and suspension are advised to turn
the normal traction control and StabiliTrak systems on.
Caution
Attempting to shift when the drive wheels are spinning and do not have traction may cause damage to the transmission. Damage
(Continued)

I may be a newbie here, but between the owners manual, Chevrolet's warranty, and OP's statements it looks pretty clear that the warranty claim should be honored.

Last edited by ZMan64; 09-19-2016 at 09:47 PM.
DesertDog56 (10-26-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Old 09-19-2016, 10:47 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Idk about where you live, but here, we have a mandatory 2yr 18k protection on new vehicles from manufacturers.New car Dealers (i actually thought it was 3/36 MINIMUM.. i can't find it in "writing" as of now, but i will do more research). I believe when i was in this industry albeit 20+ years ago, that's where the 3/36 came from or it might have been 24/24. i just recall NY and NJ aving mandatory minimums on new car warranty protection for consumers.

in NJ you are further protected by the lemon law.
http://lemonlawonline.com/wp-content...ual-Report.pdf

The New Car Lemon Law was enacted in 1989 to protect consumers who purchase,
lease or register a new vehicle or motorcycle in the state of New Jersey. It covers
vehicles that are within the 2-year / 18,000 mile term of protection. If the
manufacturer is unable to correct the defect after 3 repair attempts or 20 calender
days out of service, a consumer may qualify for relief under the law. The law requires
that the consumer send a certified letter to the manufacturer after the 2 repair nd
attempt or the 20 day period, giving the manufacturer one final attempt to fix the
problem. The letter must be received by the manufacturer before the term of
protection expires (either 2 years or 18,000 miles, whichever comes first). If the
problem is not fixed, a Lemon Law application may be filed. Accepted applications
are scheduled for a hearing at the Office of Administrative Law (O.A.L.) at one of
three locations: Newark, Trenton or Atlantic City. There is a $50 filing fee which is
returned to you if you win your case. In order to prevail in a Lemon Law case, the
consumer must prove that the defect substantially impairs the vehicle’s use, value or
safety.
The Used Car Lemon Law was enacted in 1996 to protect consumers who purchase a
used car from a New Jersey dealer. The law requires that the dealer provide a
minimum warranty (30 day / 1000 miles, 60 day / 2,000 miles or 90 day / 3,000 miles)
which is based on the vehicle’s mileage at the time of sale. Only components of the
power-train (engine, transmission, front and rear wheel drive) are covered under the
law. The law does not cover vehicles sold for less than $3,000, are more than 7 model
years old, have been declared a total loss by an insurance company or that have over
100,000 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase. If during the period of the
limited warranty, the dealer is unable to correct the problem after 3 repair attempts
or 20 calender days out of service, the consumer may qualify for relief under the law.
No certified letter from the consumer is required. Accepted applications are
scheduled for a hearing at the Office of Administrative Law (O.A.L.) at one of three
locations: Newark, Trenton or Atlantic City. There is no filing fee. In order to prevail
in a Lemon Law case, the consumer must prove that the defect substantially impairs
the vehicle’s use, value or safety.
On top of that, Feds mandate emissions parts warranty terms as well.

http://www.chrysler.com/crossbrand/w...df/Minivan.pdf

^^^ check that one out, chrysler states right in the booklet that individual state minimum implied warranties vary etc.

each state has their own here it is 2yr/18 NY i think is 2yr/24? but obviously mfr ALL of them offer way more for your business
Old 09-20-2016, 07:51 AM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

That's awesome.
I'm very happy for you and hope GM does right by you.

Frequent blown rear ends in my 4th Generation Z28, on stock tires, on public roads, drove me insane. Those weak rears led to me buying my first new Corvette.

What I find disturbing is your claim that 5 minutes after you posted this thread, GM's response magically changed. If true, that makes me wonder if car forums today remain a open and honest forum populated and ran by real owners to discuss their cars without bias and censorship.

Or, have all car forums become fraudulent marketing tools for car manufacturers that really own them, and manipulate and censor their public discussions, in order to create and perpetuate a false narrative and brand, just to sell more cars.
It makes you wonder.......

Case in point: One of my cars is an import luxury performance sedan and I've been active on that forum from the day I bought it new.
As soon as I posted the legitimate shortcomings of the new redesigned replacement model, and shared the common belief that the manufacturer had lost their way, I was banned without cause, or even a warning over the 10 years I had been active on that forum.
Like I said, it makes you wonder.....
Which forum was that?

Ken
Old 09-20-2016, 10:36 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

I wouldn't fork over a penny until it's resolved.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Eff A Ford (09-20-2016), Jackie Chiles (09-21-2016), LT1 Z51 (09-20-2016)

Quick Reply: Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51