Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 05:35 PM
bikevette
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Heads up on track usage.

I heard a "clunking" noise when on the track last week. Took it into the dealer. Apparently the eLSD isn't working as both rear wheels rotate independently of each other when on the lift. The GM Regional Rep who happened to be at the dealership I'm told, denied the warranty due to the fact the car has been on the track. Apparently he said the car looks like it's been "abused" due to the condition of the tires and slag in the wheel wells. This is normal wear and tear for an HPDE. I diligently keep up with tire, rotor, and brake pad changes when necessary.

This car is a 2015 Z51, which is designed for use on the track, and the manual tells you how to prepare the car for the track. I am not doing any competitive racing, or wouldn't even know how to competitively race. The track events I attend are normal HPDE schools.

I am waiting for a call from the GM Regional Rep as I asked the dealer to have him contact me regarding why a car designed with a track package would not be warrantied due to track usage.

Popular Reply

11-09-2016, 04:18 AM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by jschindler
Anything can be litigated. I'd be curious as to what specifically I said is wrong. I only said two things. One is that manufacturers are not required to warrant products for failures (I only say it that way because someone made a point that the product has to essentially perform the task it was designed and sold as doing, which I understand and agree with).

And I said the only thing that matters in a warranty claim is what the warranty actually says - which in some cases would also mean what the warranty does not say, I.e., exclusions.

Somebody here is now saying that the warranty says tracking the car is not excluded unless it is on racing tires. Have we confirmed that is actually what the warranty excludes?

I've been around long enough to know that an attorney can always find something to justify a lawsuit. I was once part of a lawsuit where I was named and I was being sued for $30mm in a suit where several employees left company "A" _and went to company "B". I'm not exaggerating when I say that all it said about me was that because I left one company and went to the other that I must be doing something illegal to harm the company I left. The wording was not exactly that, but it was very clear that is what it said. I was eventually dropped, but not before my company spent a he!! of a lot of money, and we really had no recourse to get that money back. So yes, I've seen the ugly side of the fact that our legal system is not always fair so much as it favors the side with deep pockets.

And to keep this on topic, GM very clearly has deeper pockets in this case and they have to weigh goodwill versus setting a precedent.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, me again here, the OP. Remember that guy? :-).

The warranty excludes competitive events. I saw nothing on the warranty about track tires. Regardless, I'm using the OEM Pilot Power Sports. (Great sticky tire btw, but I only get about 5-7 track days out of a full set. ($1710 out the door at Discount Tire.)

Just to recap, when I explained to the Reg Rep, communicated for me by the service manager, that a Z51 is advertised as a track capable car, and that chap 9 in my manual tells me how to prepare my car for the track, and additionally that my new car came with cooling rings for the front rotors specifically to be used for the track, and that Tadge Juechter claims this is the most track capable car Corvette has built... they backed down, and changed their mind and offered that I pay for repairs, at the lower warranty rates, and then when the blown ediff gets sent to Detroit, and if Detroit Engineering then determines I'm not at fault, I will get reimbursed by GM.

At least my car is back on the road, headed for another upcoming HPDE (as soon as I comply with the 1500 mile manual requirement), and not sitting in the shop while the dealer, reg rep, GM engineering, corporate, etc etc make a decision. It already took the service dept, and the GM parts suppliers 7 weeks to get me back on the road as it was.

I'm expecting an update on the decision to reimburse me in a couple weeks. I'll update this excitable forum thread crowd asap.

It was either stand on my laurels, or accept their proposal and get my car back on the track much sooner. I feel confident a check for my $5K outgo should be forthcoming soon enough.

If rumor proves true, I'm eyeing a 2018 ZR1. But how this issue ends will determine if I go that route or move on to some Eurostyling". I really want this C7 to work GM, so please do the right thing as you see it.

GM Cust Serv, if you are watching this, please pass up to the powers that be, the decision for my reimbursement for a blown ediff will be watched widely thru the C7 community. I can't fathom any control I have over a differential other than normal RPM shifts. (M7.)

I much appreciate the good wishes, as well as the not so good wishes from my forum buddies.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:38 PM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow, that's pretty shitty. I would clean it up good and take it somewhere else.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:42 PM
UsaBest
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GM will look for anything and everything to avoid paying for warranty issues. I'm guessing the C7 is costing them a bundle in general warranty claims due to bad transmissions, recalls, valve springs, and electrical issues and Ediff failures. Take the car to a different dealer out of the zone district you are in. ORRR call the BBB and file a breech of warranty claim with them.

Last edited by UsaBest; 09-16-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:44 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You are on the correct track; just keep climbing that ladder. Good luck
Old 09-16-2016, 05:44 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Please keep us posted and good luck with getting the right answer.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:48 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

This is very concerning and hopefully not a trend. If it is Chevrolet needs to change its advertising.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:54 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by ExRedRacer
Please keep us posted and good luck with getting the right answer.
OK, 5 minutes after posting this thread the service manager called the Regional Rep to ask him to call me and told him my feelings on the issue.

They now have reconsidered and said they would repair the car and send any bad parts in, or any info showing a computer glitch when I asked them to check that also (there is a computer dedicated to the differential eLSD clutch), and if GM engineering determines that the fault is with the car and not abuse on my part they will reimburse me.

Fair enough IMO. I'm glad the Reg. Rep reconsidered. I didn't do anything other than normal 2nd - 4th gear manual shifting out there. Will put my trust into the engineering department.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:55 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Evidently, Harlin Charles hair dresser has raised his rates ............
Old 09-16-2016, 06:00 PM
05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 146 Posts

Sorry to hear this has been a hassle.
I purposely bought the base C7 instead of the Z51 because I was concerned about eLSD reliability.
How much would this have cost if not covered by warranty?
Old 09-16-2016, 06:07 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by 05XLRtoC7_San Diego
Sorry to hear this has been a hassle.
I purposely bought the base C7 instead of the Z51 because I was concerned about eLSD reliability.
How much would this have cost if not covered by warranty?
Don't know yet. A non-Z51 would have difficulties with warranty for anything associated with an HPDE. That's one of the reasons I bought the Z51.

As far as cleaning it up and taking it elsewhere, I'll stick with honesty is the best policy. We'll see.
The following users liked this post:
egp (11-05-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 06:09 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 863 Likes on 600 Posts

This is total horsesh!t. If the car hasn't been modified and the warranty is still in tack then GM can't say a damn thing about "how you do or do not abuse your car". Just keep climbing the ladder within GM.

Sorry about this though, sucks there are dealerships that even try this crap. Who is the dealership? They're lying through their teeth I bet about a "regional rep just happening to be there"

Last edited by C7&7; 09-16-2016 at 06:10 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by C7&7:
entrenched (09-16-2016), Gonzo (09-17-2016), Jedi-Jurist (09-16-2016), Movie Muscle (01-10-2017), SteveDoten@ARH (09-16-2016), Tonygxp (09-17-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

The track usage excuse is definitely bogus. You called them on it and they folded. Good job.

I hope that they fix the problem correctly and that you are happy with the outcome. Some other people have had issues once GM started to mess with their rear ends.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 PM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Wonder the success or failure rate of vehicles at Spring Mountain. They are driven fairly hard and do they see any warranty issues.

Last edited by MAKC7; 09-16-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Maybe it's my frustration with Comcast

For the third time in a year I've had to play "phone wars" with a certain cable company to get a price I was assured of for two years.....the connection?

I believe when it comes to receiving fair treatment from many companies; be it car or cable, I believe (and maybe even on an actuarial basis) they COUNT ON a measurable percentage of customers to back down and accept the conclusion, the numbers, etc.

I know this may come as no surprise to some but it just adds to my cynicism when dealing with such situations....if true, it's a genuine shame.

In your case it sounds like you have received an honest response and I appreciate and respect your honesty in dealing with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by dbirdhouse1:
EPPPSB (09-28-2016), ZenicaPA (12-13-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 PM
16sedanSS
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bikevette
OK, 5 minutes after posting this thread the service manager called the Regional Rep .....
They now have reconsidered
That's awesome.
I'm very happy for you and hope GM does right by you.

Frequent blown rear ends in my 4th Generation Z28, on stock tires, on public roads, drove me insane. Those weak rears led to me buying my first new Corvette.

What I find disturbing is your claim that 5 minutes after you posted this thread, GM's response magically changed. If true, that makes me wonder if car forums today remain a open and honest forum populated and ran by real owners to discuss their cars without bias and censorship.

Or, have all car forums become fraudulent marketing tools for car manufacturers that really own them, and manipulate and censor their public discussions, in order to create and perpetuate a false narrative and brand, just to sell more cars.
It makes you wonder.......

Case in point: One of my cars is an import luxury performance sedan and I've been active on that forum from the day I bought it new.
As soon as I posted the legitimate shortcomings of the new redesigned replacement model, and shared the common belief that the manufacturer had lost their way, I was banned without cause, or even a warning over the 10 years I had been active on that forum.
Like I said, it makes you wonder.....

Last edited by 16sedanSS; 09-16-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

GM provides brake cooling rings designed specifically for track use.....something is wrong here.
The following users liked this post:
Jackie Chiles (09-18-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 09:56 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MAKC7
Wonder the success or failure rate of vehicles at Spring Mountain. They are driven fairly hard and do they see any warranty issues.
Spring Mountain cars do not have a power train warranty. Any failure is all on them.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51

Old 09-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I hope this works out for you, please post updates if you can. Good luck!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:18 PM
bikevette
Racer

Originally Posted by 16sedanSS
That's awesome.
I'm very happy for you and hope GM does right by you.

Frequent blown rear ends in my 4th Generation Z28, on stock tires, on public roads, drove me insane. Those weak rears led to me buying my first new Corvette.

What I find disturbing is your claim that 5 minutes after you posted this thread, GM's response magically changed. If true, that makes me wonder if car forums today remain a open and honest forum populated and ran by real owners to discuss their cars without bias and censorship.

Or, have all car forums become fraudulent marketing tools for car manufacturers that really own them, and manipulate and censor their public discussions, in order to create and perpetuate a false narrative and brand, just to sell more cars.
It makes you wonder.......

Case in point: One of my cars is an import luxury performance sedan and I've been active on that forum from the day I bought it new.
As soon as I posted the legitimate shortcomings of the new redesigned replacement model, and shared the common belief that the manufacturer had lost their way, I was banned without cause, or even a warning over the 10 years I had been active on that forum.
Like I said, it makes you wonder.....
I didn't mean to insinuate that the GM Reg. Rep's turnaround was related to this forum entry. My only intent is to share my experience with other HPDE guys like myself. Prior to me entering this thread, I told the dealer to call the Rep. to have him call me about my concerns re: his decision. Apparently the dealer explained my concerns to the Rep., and the Rep. decided to change his mind. I doubt in that short of a time two and two could be put together that fast regarding this forum thread.

Whether the dealer had any influence on the Rep's. decision I have no idea. My only speculation, and it's only speculation, is that dealer's don't get reimbursed by car companies very well for warranty work, compared to what they charge a customer for hourly rates.

I continue to hope that GM will step up here. I can't imagine anything I did that would cause an eLSD failure. The noticeable "clunking" noise came out of nowhere. If they do, I will post here and commend them for their decision.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Driving a Corvette on a track is abuse? If that doesnt take it all. Watched a bunch of C7 Z06 cars on the track at the Glen. Did not see one base or Z51.

Quick Reply: Warranty denied for track usage on a Z51