Sponsored by:

2017 Corvette Stingray 1YY07/67

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2017 Corvette Stingray 1YY07/67

Have question for C7 Corvette experts/aficionado's.
I have noticed recently that the base 2017 1YY07/67 style's coming from the plant (Bowling Green Assembly) have front grille center close out panel installed (The added panel with Corvette script)
Is this a running change to improve cooling on the base Corvette with RPOM5U? (8-speed auto transmission)
I do remember talking to Kirk Benion sometime ago. He stated the Corvette has improved cooling with the center grille panel assembled.
Is this the reason for the panel installation on 2017 base Corvette?
Does anyone know the real reason?
Didn't see this panel installation for the base car in 2016.
This dealer is not in two license plate state and Corvette's were delivered to this dealer (Not purchased from another dealer in two plate state)
The 2017 Corvette Grand Sports in stock do not have this close out plate installed. My quess this plate would restrict air flow to the auxiliary newly added coolant heat exchanger just behind the grille.
The base cars with auto trans do not have the auxiliary heat exchanger behind grille.

Last edited by Tom McMahon; 09-21-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Silver Stingray
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

It's just the plate mount and can be easily removed. There is no cooling benefit. It usually ships in the trunk and the dealer installs it if desired. I haven't heard of them coming from the factory that way
Old 09-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silver Stingray
It's just the plate mount and can be easily removed. There is no cooling benefit. It usually ships in the trunk and the dealer installs it if desired. I haven't heard of them coming from the factory that way

Thanks for the quick reply.
I talked to the new Corvette prep people and they did not install the close out panels on the base Corvette in the rear lot.
I do agree these parts are part of the loose parts stocked to Corvette.
These parts are coming from Bowling Green Assembly installed on base cars only.
Kirk Bension told me in the wind tunnel these parts improve cooling.
Kirk Benion is the actual designer of third generation ZR1 and the 2014 Corvette body.
I may be answering my own question, but have been away from Corvette for months.
Believe running changes are showing on the newer c7 Corvette to improve cooling such as the added cooling heat exchanger that lays flat just behind center of grille

Last edited by Tom McMahon; 09-21-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Tom McMahon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silver Stingray
Hi,
I messed up.
Kirk Benion didn't say the front mounting plate assembly improved cooling.
In the wind tunnel the plate assembly shows improvement in aero.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Corvette Stingray 1YY07/67

Quick Reply: 2017 Corvette Stingray 1YY07/67