Potential A8 tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:40 AM
Tnguy2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential A8 tranny issue

Guys,

I have an A8, my DD. When I start the car in the morning, I usually wait for a few minutes to warm the engine up, then put it gear (D), the whole car shakes hard, and sometimes there's a delay for a couple of seconds then it still shakes. The car operates normally after that hard shake and it's been going on for months now, and every morning it does the same thing.

Is this normal with your A8?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:41 AM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Not normal. I thought I blew my tranny up, but it was just a control module that needed reprogramming. Do you have a CEL on?
Old 09-29-2016, 11:43 AM
Tow
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Needs service for sure. Depending on the year and production date you will most likely need the Stator support TSB and Toque converter replacement. They are all defective and will all fail sooner or later so make it sooner while the perpetrator is still on the hook for the repair.

Last edited by Tow; 09-29-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:45 AM
atvBob
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tnguy2
guys,

i have an a8, my dd. When i start the car in the morning, i usually wait for a few minutes to warm the engine up, then put it gear (d), the whole car shakes hard, and sometimes there's a delay for a couple of seconds then it still shakes. The car operates normally after that hard shake and it's been going on for months now, and every morning it does the same thing.

Is this normal with your a8?
Name:  co.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  9.9 KB
Old 09-29-2016, 11:49 AM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

Very well known problem, about 3+ TSB's on this very issue. See below:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...th-anyone.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-evening.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-to-end.html

........And many more. Search "A8 transmission issue"...
Old 09-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Obviously something is not right. I had the hard shift from 1st to 2nd on cold start with my 2015 Z51 A8 off and on for awhile. I found that when putting the car in D and starting off very slow and gently increasing RPM's the hard shift was more soft and over time it went away on its on. That said, as you describe I don't think I would wait for the trans to "learn" and adjust on it's on even if it might get better. Best to take it to the dealer sooner than later. You should eave it with them overnight with the clear understanding you will be back the next morning early so you can physically be in the car at first cold start up. A picture is worth a K words so if you can duplicate the event with the service tech present that is the first step toward resolution. Good luck.

Last edited by Nice Ride; 09-29-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Tnguy2
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys! Car is 2015
Bringing the car back for service is on my list.
I just went there for the Infotainment sceen and subwoofer replaced last month. Hopefully there's no more issue after this.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:18 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

I had the same exact problem as OP...

The newest TCM reflash for this issue (Harsh shifts) worked for me thus far... But i suspect the fix is only temporary. MY ADVICE IS GET THE NEWEST REFLASH DONE FIRST... Then if reflashes don't work, the below TSB is your LAST RESORT:

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 09-29-2016 at 12:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
USCG (10-12-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 01:06 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

This is exactly the problem I have. I called a dealer and they told me it is a 16 hr job which means the whole tranny has to come apart.....this is something I don't want....given who works on these cars today...What happens if I choose not to get it fixed? What I do now is shift from Park to Drive then to Reverse then to Drive and back to Reverse and it moves without a problem....If I don't I have to wait about 30 seconds for it to build up pressure to move.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:54 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
This is exactly the problem I have. I called a dealer and they told me it is a 16 hr job which means the whole tranny has to come apart.....this is something I don't want....given who works on these cars today...What happens if I choose not to get it fixed? What I do now is shift from Park to Drive then to Reverse then to Drive and back to Reverse and it moves without a problem....If I don't I have to wait about 30 seconds for it to build up pressure to move.
Who knows in the long term, but my bet is not good.

Yes, it's a big job which requires taking apart the rear end of the car, dropping the exhaust and rear suspension, rear bumper etc and then dropping the transmission. Then putting the trans on a special cradle device while they open up the TC.

Then reassemble everything.

Again, i stress to you to try the re-flash first for harsh shifts that GM released prior to the above stator TSB.

Also, there is one guy for sure on this forum that had the stator shaft support TSB done and it didnt fix the problem, and another guy that had the stator done first then a whole new TC... and then developed the harsh shift in the morning.
obxchartercaptain (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 02:01 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Who knows in the long term, but my bet is not good.

Yes, it's a big job which requires taking apart the rear end of the car, dropping the exhaust and rear suspension, rear bumper etc and then dropping the transmission. Then putting the trans on a special cradle device while they open up the TC.

Then reassemble everything.

Again, i stress to you to try the re-flash first for harsh shifts that GM released prior to the above stator TSB.

Also, there is one guy for sure on this forum that had the stator shaft support TSB done and it didnt fix the problem, and another guy that had the stator done first then a whole new TC... and then developed the harsh shift in the morning.

I just called Stingray Chevy in Tampa, Fl...spoke to one of their "service advisers" He told me they are BACKED UP with tranny work and have only ONE tranny guy. They didn't know when they could get to it but to drop it off and they would "diagnosis" the problem....Not about to leave it there indefinitely....Really pisses me off to buy a $82,290.00 car and not be able to drive it when I want.....
Old 09-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Tow
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just called Stingray Chevy in Tampa, Fl...spoke to one of their "service advisers" He told me they are BACKED UP with tranny work and have only ONE tranny guy. They didn't know when they could get to it but to drop it off and they would "diagnosis" the problem....Not about to leave it there indefinitely....Really pisses me off to buy a $82,290.00 car and not be able to drive it when I want.....
Surprise Suprise!! NOT!! But But Mr. Tadge lier that he is said the A8 is very reliable. Im beginning to agree with that PeterMJ guy TJ is a POS.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

They need to have the car overnight to simulate the problem, but after they simulate problem and approve the stator TSB work i posted above (assuming reflash doesnt work) they will need to order a few "special" tools (the cradle is one of them) that i can almost guarantee you they do not have yet, which can take weeks of your car sitting with them.

You need get them to look over the TSB, tell you they have all the specialty tools and are ready to work before you leave the car with them.

The re-flash only takes one overnight to simulate the problem, then one hour labor to reflash...then car is done.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 09-29-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

16-na-014 has been revised with more info in June.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-off-1290.html

Under 3 seconds to engagement and they do not want the stator update done.

There is also a learn procedure for harsh engagement. I would make sure that was done before tearing the trans apart.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:16 AM
Len44
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

IIRC, Stingray Chevrolet has done a few of these operations with a pretty good success rate. If so, they would probably already have all the tools needed.

Last edited by Len44; 10-01-2016 at 05:10 PM.
obxchartercaptain (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,518 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Tow
Surprise Suprise!! NOT!! But But Mr. Tadge lier that he is said the A8 is very reliable. Im beginning to agree with that PeterMJ guy TJ is a POS.
Putting yourself in league with PeterMJ tells us a lot about you. You remind me of a former forum member that made a big fuss about his C7 A8 problems, threatening lawsuits and a plan to make a scene at the NCM bash, but then got banned, came back with a new username, bashed Tadge and the C7 A8 even though he has now owned two, got banned again, came back, bashed, got banned...and on and on it goes.

It is seriously wrong for someone that had A8 problems to pose as so many different people on this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
Len44 (09-30-2016), mikez06 (10-02-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Grand-C7
Cruising

That is not normal for any car. You need to take it in and leave it over night so service can drive it cold in the morning.

Get notified of new replies

To Potential A8 tranny issue

Old 10-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Awwimer
2nd Gear

Hey guys, just joined the forum to learn about my problems I am having with my A8. I had the same shift problems, then after they replicated it and had attempted a fix, it now slips between the 1/2 shift when cold. Was told it could not be replicated on my last visit, yet it does it every time. Dont know what to do next.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:08 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

FL Events Coordinator

I am really DISGUSTED.....I have absolutely no trust in the mechanics today....I can see them ripping the boot covering the shafts to the rear wheels when they take the tranny and rear end down....not to mention if they in fact do the repair correctly....Most people today have no pride in what they do....sorry for the rant but I am really upset about buying a $82,000.00 car and knowing they KNEW they had problems with their A8. The problems are showing up in GM's other vehicles as well with that tranny. I wanted to get a manual but thought of my wife and got the auto....she's never driven the damn thing and has no desire to.
Grand-C7 (10-02-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 12:11 PM
Awwimer
2nd Gear

I was told they basically added bearings in the valve body. (Shift kit?) Have another appointment for the radio screen and pdr that still doesnt work.

Quick Reply: Potential A8 tranny issue