Sponsored by:

Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 03:42 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMan64
Wonderful? Granted U.S. automakers haven't exactly been known for their high quality products, but over the last 10 years or so they have made huge strides in performance, luxury, and reliability. What about the Germans? If their vehicles are built so well why do their 6 figure cars lose half their value (on average) in just a few years?

You rolled the dice on a used car and didn't come up a winner this time. No reason to slam the entire American auto industry.
I have been a lurker here for three years, waiting and hoping this C7 would improve before I take the plunge. I am having a very hard time diving in due to all the issues that repeatedly come up with this car. If they have made huge strides as you say and these cars are still blowing engines, differentials, etc then I would hate to have owned an old Vette. I want to believe, and buy one, but I just can't get myself to do it. Maybe I need to wait for the C8 or the Zora. Arrrrgh. It's killing me.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LimeRay
I have been a lurker here for three years, waiting and hoping this C7 would improve before I take the plunge. I am having a very hard time diving in due to all the issues that repeatedly come up with this car. If they have made huge strides as you say and these cars are still blowing engines, differentials, etc then I would hate to have owned an old Vette. I want to believe, and buy one, but I just can't get myself to do it. Maybe I need to wait for the C8 or the Zora. Arrrrgh. It's killing me.
You do know that somewhere around 100,000 C7s have been sold, right? You do know that most of those owners aren't on this forum, right? You do know that forums always grossly over represent problems and under represent those with no problems, right? People don't start new threads saying "My C7 hasn't had any problems" because it's not interesting and the forum would be packed full of them.

I've had my first-year 2014 C7 for 2.5 years. It's been to the dealer for oil changes and one minor recall, otherwise it's been flawless and it's my DD. Quit being paranoid and overthinking what you see on this or any other forum.
The following 17 users liked this post by Steve_R:
AKKutz (09-29-2016), beaversstonehaven (09-30-2016), Boiler_81 (09-29-2016), Carvin (09-30-2016), Crossed Flags Fan (09-30-2016), Gonzo (09-29-2016), lancekl (09-29-2016), Len44 (09-29-2016), Micster (09-29-2016), Playboy2 (09-30-2016), Raiderh20boy (09-29-2016), Rebel Yell (09-29-2016), Red C8 of Jax (09-29-2016), RonC7 (09-29-2016), ssidekickbp (10-01-2016), Vetteram (09-29-2016), woodsguy (09-30-2016) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2016, 03:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by lrobe22
You bought a used car you knew would be ran hard and put up wet. Let the warranty work.
Not only that, you bought a PROGRAM CAR, a car you knew had been given to select people to drive hard. What did you expect, a cream puff?*

I say, let them fix it, and fix it right. There, if it isn't fixed right, you have an argument. You probably paid quite a bit less than a normal '14 car, or if you didn't, that's on you and your skills, not the selling dealer. Good luck.

Reading some more of your posts, "certified" does not mean driven only by GM employees unless it's defined that way. And further, having nicked up door sills is something a buyer should look at if they are concerned. You chose not to look at the car first, or you missed it. How is that the dealer or GM's fault?

* This would be like buying a rental car, or a car from one of the two major driving schools and expecting it to be like-new. Not gonna happen. IMO

Last edited by AORoads; 09-29-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Sorry to hear of the problems that you are having. The first thing I would do is contact my state's AG. Get their advice. If you do decide to let the dealer replace pretty much the entire drive train, make absolutely sure that all of the new parts are actually new...no rebuilt parts. Also, get EVERYTHING in writing, and I would make sure that all of the new parts start over with a brand new warranty. Your car has way too few miles to be experiencing all of those problems. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
This. It's what warranties are for.

GM "won't do anything but repair them." WTF else do you want? Cars have a warranty for a reason and no new car - from any manufacturer - is perfect. GM is doing exactly what they SHOULD do.

If I buy a brand new Corvette, and the engine needs replacement in 1,000 miles, I am not "entitled" to a new car, just because a new car "shouldn't" break down like that. No where in the warranty does GM promise that, even on cars that are fresh off the assembly line.

I'd examine your sales contract to see exactly where it stipulates that you get a brand new car (or a buy-back) if this one is broken -- then show that to the Dealership's lawyer and demand performance of the contract.

Otherwise, you are just demanding 'special treatment' to which, by the contract you signed, you are not legally entitled.

Last edited by Kent1999; 09-29-2016 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM
LimeRay
Pro

You do know that somewhere around 100,000 C7s have been sold, right? You do know that most of those owners aren't on this forum, right? You do know that forums always grossly over represent problems and under represent those with no problems, right? People don't start new threads saying "My C7 hasn't had any problems" because it's not interesting and the forum would be packed full of them.

I've had my first-year 2014 C7 for 2.5 years. It's been to the dealer for oil changes and one minor recall, otherwise it's been flawless and it's my DD. Quit being paranoid and overthinking what you see on this or any other forum.
Thank you for speaking to me like a child, much appreciated. God forbid anyone make a valid point that runs counter to your way of thinking.

I don't think you can deny that GM's quality control is suspect. How else do you explain a car that's paint looks like it is applied with a roller it has so much orange peel. I know I won't win this argument against a large group of Corvette enthusiasts so I will end my posts on the matter. If I make the leap I will do so with full knowledge of the potential issues and accept them.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:11 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by aquacleaner
(1)the car was a program car which was given to GM execs back in 2014 to drive around n offer feedback.
(2)I bought it site unseen as we have done many times before n wasn't worried cause it was certified.
I see 2 HUGE red flags here.
Steve_R (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:12 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't believe you really understand the used car market. regarding the 6 figure German cars, most people that pay 6 figures for a daily driven grocery getter, don't buy used grocery getters. They trade the old one in and buy a new 6 figure German car.

That leaves a car looking for a buyer that isn't going to pay 6 figures for a used 6 figure car. Not many people making $40,000-$50,000 a year are buying two year old German cars that were 6 figures when new, so the used car price of that used 6 figure car is based on the people that want a 6 figure car, but can't afford to pay 6 figures for a used one. That limits the number of people buying used 6 figure German cars for 6 figures.

It has nothing to do with the quality of the used 6 figure German car. Actually, most of those people that pay 5 figures for that used German 6 figure car, could buy a brand new 5 figure American car for much less than the used 6 figure German car and have a longer warranty with the American car but are willing to take a chance on the used 6 figure German car with less warranty remaining.
Thanks for the education, but I understand the used car market very well.

If those German cars are so well built, why do so many owners bail on them before the warranty expires? Answer; Because they aren't built as well as the average noob thinks they are and those original owners that understand that don't want to deal with the astronomical costs when an electrical (or other) issue comes up out of warranty.

Seen the latest JD Power reliability report?
Old 09-29-2016, 04:17 PM
detroitguy
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

It's also possible that the car was driven by many GM employees in one of their programs, not by an executive. If this is the case, it was likely driven way harder and it would explain your issues. In either case, GM is (usually) on top of the maintenance of their company cars.

Anyway, I second what others have said here: go through the warranty process. You bought a used car. It doesn't matter if Mary Barra drove it or a 16 year old, it's used.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for speaking to me like a child, much appreciated. God forbid anyone make a valid point that runs counter to your way of thinking.
Huh? You are the one that essentially said there are lots of problems with C7s based on this forum. That is not true of any vehicle based on posts on any forum. Period.

I don't think you can deny that GM's quality control is suspect.
Well, you're wrong. I'm not a huge GM fan and have owned very few of them in my 40+ years of owning and driving cars. GM has no more "suspect" quality control than any other domestic automaker, and no more than many foreign ones. Trying to judge problems with an entire brand or model with over 100,000 already sold by posts on an anonymous internet forum is what's truly suspect.
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve_R:
Crossed Flags Fan (09-30-2016), egp (10-02-2016), Micster (09-29-2016), Playboy2 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
You bought a used car you knew would be ran hard and put up wet. Let the warranty work.
It was GM certified, and that should be worth something...certified to be a car with significant problems? I don't think so. If it went through 5 qts of oil in 1,000 miles, something is terribly wrong, regardless of how hard it was driven.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:31 PM
SharkGrayStingray
Drifting

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with most. You bought a car that was a demo car. Anyone given a car that they don't have to pay for will beat it to some extent. some more than others. It came with a warranty, let it work. Especially if they will replace all components rather that repair. Good luck
Old 09-29-2016, 04:36 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

<snip>

I don't think you can deny that GM's quality control is suspect.

<snip>
Certainly the cars aren't perfect. But "suspect" leads me to comparisons to other manufacturers. In the JD Power initial quality (which I'll admit isn't a perfect survey and I have some gripes with, but probably the best we have) Chevrolet finished 6th overall out of 34 brands. Ahead of all the Japanese Brands except Toyota (but ahead of Lexus listed separately). Also ahead of the other 2 Big 3 Detroit. Buick and GMC were also above the industry average, with Cadillac being the only GM brand below industry average.

So, Suspect? Not by most people's definition.

You have to realize, even the best car in the results (Kia) still has 83 problems per 100 cars, so it is more likely than not you'll have a problem, in any car, but the entire industry is way ahead of where they were in the past, and GM particularly. And, again, the method might be slightly flawed, I'll grant that, because JD Power "problems" aren't always defects, but its a good start for this type of discussion.

Last edited by z28lt1; 09-29-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

This forum is a tiny fraction of all Vette owners, and typically forum members tend to be very nit picky about their cars. Before this car I had 2 CTS-V's (sedan & coupe) and participated in a Cadillac owners forum. From what some guys would post, they were the worst cars ever built. The only thing that ever went wrong with either of my V's was a couple of bad TPMS sensors that were replaced under warranty. It's a good idea to look into forums for information, just don't use that as your foundation for decision making. If you do you'll never buy any car!

Last edited by ZMan64; 09-29-2016 at 04:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZMan64:
Carvin (09-30-2016), jimmyb (09-30-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
It was GM certified, and that should be worth something...certified to be a car with significant problems? I don't think so. If it went through 5 qts of oil in 1,000 miles, something is terribly wrong, regardless of how hard it was driven.
"Certified" does not mean "free of all problems and wear". Just that the dealer visually examined & passed specific areas, and GM is agreeing to cover costs of enumerated, specific repairs for systems in which problems may not be immediately evident, for a limited period of time post-sale.
r00t61 (10-02-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 04:38 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Huh? You are the one that essentially said there are lots of problems with C7s based on this forum. That is not true of any vehicle based on posts on any forum. Period.

Well, you're wrong. I'm not a huge GM fan and have owned very few of them in my 40+ years of owning and driving cars. GM has no more "suspect" quality control than any other domestic automaker, and no more than many foreign ones. Trying to judge problems with an entire brand or model with over 100,000 already sold by posts on an anonymous internet forum is what's truly suspect.
Anyone with over 11,000 posts on a Corvette forum is definitely a fan.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:46 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Surprised

I am surprised you got a certified GM program car. I bought a 2013 GS that was sn 00011. I couldn't get it certified because the dealer said it had not been registered and was still on the MSO. I even went to GM and they said they don't certify first owner cars. The GS had 7000 miles on it. I enjoyed the car, it was good. Btw, the first 20 or so cars are for qa and are listed as pre production (coded in the build sheet). Check my threads in the c6 section around May 2014.
Let them fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM

Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Anyone with over 11,000 posts on a Corvette forum is definitely a fan.
I'm a Vette fan. I haven't owned a GM product other than Vettes for several decades.

And probably half of those posts are in the Off Topic forum.

What I am is a realist and I don't jump to conclusions. YMMV.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:01 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

I don't think you can deny that GM's quality control is suspect. How else do you explain a car that's paint looks like it is applied with a roller it has so much orange peel. I know I won't win this argument against a large group of Corvette enthusiasts so I will end my posts on the matter. If I make the leap I will do so with full knowledge of the potential issues and accept them.
Limeray, MY2014 had issues. However, as the issues were addressed, upgrades, etc. the 2016 and now 2017 are far, far better. I would not hesitate one minute to test drive one and make the decision. I own a 2016 Stingray Z51, no issues at all. Also ordered with the 8-speed automatic.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Please stop using n in place of and or an. It doesn't convey maturity.
The following 2 users liked this post by jim2527:
detroitguy (09-30-2016), egp (10-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM