Old 09-30-2016, 07:24 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I don't think this thread is legit...

GM owned 14' sold in 16" with only 2,600 mi, Certified? 5 qt of oil in 1,000 mi? purchased sight unseen yet trading in a 13' ZL1???? less than 10 posts in a year???

Definitely a very creative story!!!

We need a contest to see who can come up with the most ridiculous, outrageous, situations, and then find out how many people actually fall for them....

Definitely a creative story!!!!!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:31 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Tow
Join the club, Do you know how many of us here purchased Brand NEW C7s only to have engines and transmissions, and rear ends blow? Lots and Lots and GM won't do anything but repair them. Get it fixed it's all you can do. If the car still isn't right sue GM with a lawyer skip the BBB thing it's useless get a good lawyer and sue. First however you must let them repair the car.
I disagree...definitely not "lots and lots." More like a few...oh, and that one guy that made a big fuss about his C7 A8 problems, threatening lawsuits and a plan to make a scene at the NCM bash, but then gets banned, comes back with a new username, bashes Tadge and the C7 A8 even though he has now bought two, gets banned again, comes back, bashes, gets banned...and on and on it goes.

It is seriously wrong for someone that had A8 problems to pose as so many different people on this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by jagamajajaran:
Rooster OG (09-30-2016), Steve_R (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 10:49 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

^^. I can't keep up anymore, I don't think forum staff can either.
The following users liked this post:
jagamajajaran (09-30-2016)
Old 09-30-2016, 11:04 PM
aquacleaner
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well it's True

Originally Posted by EcoBrick Bob
I don't think this thread is legit...

GM owned 14' sold in 16" with only 2,600 mi, Certified? 5 qt of oil in 1,000 mi? purchased sight unseen yet trading in a 13' ZL1???? less than 10 posts in a year???

Definitely a very creative story

We need a contest to see who can come up with the most ridiculous, outrageous, situations, and then find out how many people actually fall for them....

Definitely a creative story!!!!!!!!!
not creative just true. Done this before without issues. Got burned this time
Old 09-30-2016, 11:11 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

To the OP here if GM is willing to put a new motor and all the other parts into you car in a short time go for it and call it a day.

I do feel your pain here but it what it is here. Be glad they are willing to do what you said on putting new stuff in the car, than going into what you have and crapping on those parts. Robert
Old 10-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Playboy2
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

If they are going to replace the motor and trans let them. The way I see it is you are basically getting a brand new car.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:58 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by aquacleaner
They wanna repair/replace drivetrain w/4k
aquawhiner > dump it or fix the POS

Last edited by C8Jake; 10-01-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:16 AM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
My Mercedes will be 18 years old next month. I told myself that I would drive it after the warranty ran out as long as it was reliable, and I would dump it if it started costing me money. Three or four months ago I spent $145 for a MAF sensor(OEM Bosch from Amazon), and it took around 20 minutes to install it in my driveway. It wasn't affecting how the car ran or it's gas mileage, it just set the CEL. I could ignore the CEL and probably drive it another 18 years.That's all I've spent on the car other than LOF's, tires and a battery.

My Mercedes has been the BEST car I have ever owned and I purchased my first new car in 1964(a 1964 Malibu SS hardtop with 327/4 speed/posi/F40 suspension? Second best is my 2009 Z06 that has only been in the shop one time for a loose axle nut(I did act proactively and replaced my heads but I never had a problem with the original set). I've had a bunch of crappy American cars between 1964 and today.

Sure, my Mercedes isn't worth much now, even though it looks like new(always garaged, no door dings. etc.), but what is a 18 year old American made Cadillac worth?

Want to hear about the new 1998 C5 I had that was in the shop 14 times in it's first 14,000 miles for repairs(damn glad I purchased a GMPP extended warranty for it), First time was with 380 miles on the odometer, and a week old. It was in the shop for ten days before they could get it to not keep going into "limp home" mode.

Most people that can afford expensive new German cars, do trade them in every 3 or 4 years, but not because they are falling apart, but because they have the money to buy a new expensive German car every 3 or 4 years, and don't worry about the depreciation. In fact they probably paid more to trade their 3 or 4 year old car in then what they would pay for repairs during the next 3 or 4 years.

Why does Mercedes sell three times the number of vehicles in the USA than Cadillac, if they are such crap, and sell for higher prices? You can get a big discount off a new Cadillac. Try and get a huge discount off a new Mercedes. Why are Mercedes sales going up while Cadillac sales are going down?
Your 18 year old Mercedes is the last of the Benz models that were built to a standard, not to a price point like most other cars. It represents the last of the real "Engineered like no other car" Mercedes model. Your experience is pretty typical and that is what helped make the brand's reputation. Alas, the company decided to adopt the price point model to lower costs and increase sales volumes. Frankly, they were not very good at it. Mercedes of the early 2000s through 2010 or so were cost cut to the point of disappointment. They had cheap (for Mercedes) interior materials, and were fraught with electronic and mechanical failures. My brother's CLK lunched it trans due to a $500 electronic module at 53,000 miles. $5,500 to make the car whole. Simply put they were a far cry from what you are driving. This is not keyboard fodder from an internet warrior. It is well documented about the poor quality of those cars. Today Mercedes is clawing its way back, and for whatever reason, the apologists are more willing to give Mercedes a pass for its transgressions than say, GM.

The heavy depreciation of high dollar German cars is twofold. One, as pointed out by you and others, is the wealthy dump the vehicles after the lease runs out which provides a steady supply of used models. The other is the cost of maintenance and repair. Those second buyers tend to skimp on the costly maintenance which is deleterious to the longevity of the car. And the fact that long term reliability of the vehicles is not great - especially in regards to the electronics - hurts resale as well. Added to that is those repairs are usually starting at four figures which means those second and third owners face huge bills and dump the cars. End result is the cars depreciate like mad. Ever go to a Pick and Pull junkyard? The sheer volume of 7 series BMWs in what look like pretty good condition is amazing.

Last edited by golden2husky; 10-01-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:45 AM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

let me begin by saying that i am not an attorney however, in my work i must interact with them and deal with relative legal issues on a regular basis. i've learned enough about the process to be able to give you this advice: seek out qualifed, professional legal counsel. the sooner, the better. there are likely to be time limits involved. assuming you paid fmv for the car, it would be well worth the cost of a consultation with an attorney who specializes in lemon law claims in your state. the law in your state not only sets forth the conditions under which a claim may be considered, it also appears to proscribe certain responsibilities which accrue to you in the preparation of any such claim. you will likely need legal advice to determine whether your car qualifies (demos and executive driven cars appear to be included under certain conditions), and guidance through the process of having the car declared an actual lemon (there appear to be requirements concerning a claim form that you must take with you and have signed by the dealer when having any warrantee work done, and apparently you must secure a cooresponding repair order from the dealer performing the service). as a number of other posts on this thread have stated, it does appear that you must give the manufacturer an opportunity to make the car right, and it appears to be 4 such opportunities. an attorney can guide you through the process. one might even provide an initial consultation for free. even if you have to spend a couple hundred bucks, an hour with an attorney who specializes in these matters could go a long way in helping you achieve a fair outcome. good luck.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:05 PM
C7HOORAY
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts
Default No real problem here...

Originally Posted by aquacleaner
So here's my Situation: traded my 13 ZL-1 in mint condition (10,000 miles certified) to a GM dealer in Wisconsin (supposedly the biggest one) for a 14 C7 Z-51 back in May.

C7 Info:
the car was a program car which was given to GM execs back in 2014 to drive around n offer feedback. (I know this because a friend of my families owns a GM dealership locally n ran the VIN).
We were the first title holders and the car had only 2600 miles on it and was also certified.
I bought it site unseen as we have done many times before n wasn't worried cause it was certified. Dealership had changed oil which we looked at after test drive n is on GM's service history.

Short vetsion: what I called my banana vet has since been renamed my lemon vet

Car consumed 5 quarts of oil in less than 1000 miles twice, transmission is spent n hard to shift (like almost impossible) when cold, rear axle seal is leaking

it's obvious that GM employees trashed this car

Currently battling dealership n GM to buy car back or swap it for something else.

Customer care guy from GM won't give me contact info for the factory rep in Wisconsin nor will dealer.

Getting screwed we'd never felt so good. All they want to do is repair or replace engine n tranny with only 4000miles on it

any advise
You got a car with a good warranty...let them replace the drivetrain! That way you put the "new car miles" on it....not unknown yahoos!

Make sure they put you in a loaner....motivation for them to get your car done and back to you quickly!

My father in law once had a major trans failure on his Chevy truck when the vehicle was almost new. GM changed out the tranny and he never had a single problem from then on...drove the vehicle 20 years!
Old 10-01-2016, 11:07 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

89 Posts.

It appears GM is going to make it right....gawd let them do it and when done
keep it and enjoy it or sell or trade..
The amount of time you have spent complaining could have been put to better use..

Suck it up Buttercup
Old 10-01-2016, 11:28 PM
EcoBrick Bob
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Besides the engine and tranny, there is something else wrong with this car.

IT HAS CHROME WHEELS!

This is what a real VY Vette looks like....

Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 AM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Black is whack, chrome is king.

Last edited by ZMan64; 10-02-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:31 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

5 quarts in 1000 miles? That thing has to be smoking like a freight train or leaking pretty bad.

There were some engine failures early on, even on magazine test cars, if its under warranty let them put a new engine in it. Who knows what that car went through but even running it pretty hard shouldnt destroy the engine and trans in 4K miles. If the car 'looks' like it has that mileage but needs and engine let them plug a new engine in it.

Hard shifting could be a burned up clutch that isnt releasing correctly, dont have to race a car to wreck a clutch in a manual trans car in short order.

Rear axle seal leaking was a common complaint on the early cars as well, usually only when cold but those differential seals have been leaking since C5 days.

I would say if the car was using that much oil and the dealer knew about it you got screwed, but thats a risk you take buying any used car. Or even a new car. If the car was abused by a previous owner and GM is stepping up and will repair the car let them do it and then sell/trade it off.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:45 PM
aquacleaner
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds right

Originally Posted by kp
5 quarts in 1000 miles? That thing has to be smoking like a freight train or leaking pretty bad.

There were some engine failures early on, even on magazine test cars, if its under warranty let them put a new engine in it. Who knows what that car went through but even running it pretty hard shouldnt destroy the engine and trans in 4K miles. If the car 'looks' like it has that mileage but needs and engine let them plug a new engine in it.

Hard shifting could be a burned up clutch that isnt releasing correctly, dont have to race a car to wreck a clutch in a manual trans car in short order.

Rear axle seal leaking was a common complaint on the early cars as well, usually only when cold but those differential seals have been leaking since C5 days.

I would say if the car was using that much oil and the dealer knew about it you got screwed, but thats a risk you take buying any used car. Or even a new car. If the car was abused by a previous owner and GM is stepping up and will repair the car let them do it and then sell/trade it off.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Out of Options! Ready to sue Dealer and GM