Sponsored by:

Child restraints in your state

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 08:20 PM
probono
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Child restraints in your state

So my grandchildren, 4 and 6, were visiting this past weekend, and of course, they wanted a ride in the "race car". I live in NY. The 6 year old uses a booster seat and his parents always have him in the back. To my utter amazement, while NY recommends that children ride in the back, there is no prohibition in NY to children riding in the front seat so long as a "child restraint system" is used. Booster seat in the passenger seat, seat belts on, and the grandchildren got their ride. Of course, there is the air bag issue, but the kids are not heavy enough to turn it on.

What about your state?

Ken

Last edited by probono; 10-04-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Front seat is okay here with proper restraints. Colorado isn't a nanny state.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:56 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I'm not 100% sure in EVERY state, but as far as I know from a good bit of research on the topic, no state has laws about the back seat, although it is clearly a much better place for kids to be.

Are you sure Massachusetts law requires children to sit in the back? I know a bill was introduced in the state senate that would require that, but I never heard that the bill passed, and it is not in the current online version of the MA vehicle code, so unless they are slow in updating that, I think it was proposed only.

Personally, I waited until my kids were booster-ready, and would not have though about putting a rear facing seat in the Corvette, but don't believe there all laws against it, and in theory, as long as the airbag is not on, it should be ok....

Last edited by z28lt1; 10-03-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:59 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

What would a "back seat only" requirement do to all the pickup truck owners out there? This is probably why the nannies haven't gotten this pushed through legislature yet.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

I've never seen any state with a rear seat "requirement". It's always a rear seat "suggestion". My daughter has been riding in my Corvette (legally and w/ a car seat) since about 2 months old. (I would've even started sooner, except she was born in the winter.)

As long as you can turn off your airbags, it is reasonably safe. The Corvette (C5 before, C7 now) is my "go to" car for picking her up from day-care.

Last edited by xwing; 10-04-2016 at 02:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Child restraints in your state

Quick Reply: Child restraints in your state