Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 01:27 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
You are not alone.

Porsche's basic aesthetic has been the same since 1948:

From the front wheels back, I completely agree.
The headlights and front bumper of the car does not work for me.

LOL, you say this on a CORVETTE Forum?
Have not changed since 1948 yet they still sell that tired washed up body for enormous amounts of money and more profit than GM could ever hope to get on the Corvette. They also retain a higher value to boot over the Vette. Go ahead and laugh at the 911, Porsche is laughing at the fact they have never needed a Government bailout.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:34 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Have not changed since 1948 yet they still sell that tired washed up body for enormous amounts of money and more profit than GM could ever hope to get on the Corvette. They also retain a higher value to boot over the Vette. Go ahead and laugh at the 911, Porsche is laughing at the fact they have never needed a Government bailout.
I don't know what your post has to do with mine, but OK.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Caymans are nice, stylish. Vette torque satisfies.

455 hp @ 6000 rpm
460 lb-ft of torque @ 4600 rpm
0–60 mph in 4 seconds, 3.8 seconds with the available Z51

http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-corvet...ecs/trims.html

Just sayin'...

Old 10-09-2016, 05:05 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Foosh
Any real car enthusiast "gives a crap." Corvette fan boys probably don't.
Originally Posted by village idiot
this. And Corvette fanboys give us all a bad name
agreed......I don't drink the Kool Aid, I know what my car is and is not better than when it comes to performance, style and value. I probably wouldn't take a new Boxster S over a new GS but I would take a new 911 Carrera 2S over a Z06.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:56 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Gee, I thought I was the only one...

I've owned 4 Porsches before finally buying my first (new) Corvette; a 2007 C6 coupe, MN6. My last two were 911s, an '85 Targa and an '89 Speedster. Make no mistake I am a Porsche guy. I have a close friend who is on his second Cayman S and loves it/them. I've been considering one myself but...

I doubt if anyone considers either a Porsche or a Corvette on the basis of practicality and cost of ownership. As a retired guy, I do to some extent. In the final analysis though I think it's largely a matter of emotion and just plain enthusiasm. There might be a little dedication and appreciation for the history of either marque creeping in here - and they are similar, but here's why I why I will probably keep my C6. I'm not yet convinced he C7 is going to be my next car, owing to ergonomics and a few small issues, but it is under consideration as (possibly) a Cayman.

Here's my rationale, and I know this doesn't apply to everyone on this forum.

When I retired 10 years ago, my wife and I decided we wanted to take some long road trips. See the USA in your... as it were. A 911 Speedster is perfectly capable of that ambition, provided you can pack weeks of clothing and essentials in a gym bag. So a Corvette seemed a more practical car - and has proved so.

Point here is that if you plan to do a lot of traveling, or hauling the kid's soccer equipment, the Corvette might be the better choice.

If you're going to drive through, say, Wyoming. Montana and the Dakotas, there is just something comforting knowing there are more Chevrolet stores out there than Porsche stores.

My C6 has (after owning 4 Porsches) been very economical to maintain. Mostly oil changes every yaar and the occasional 5-year fluid change. My 911s even though the relatively simple 901-series cars would cost me $500 to nearly $1000 to service, 10 years ago and that was through an independent shop. Point here is to suggest you check into maintenance costs with your local Porsche dealer before making a decision. If you do your own work, you better have a lift since you can't even get to the engine from above the Cayman or Boxster.

I have a tendency to ramble on and on given my experience with both marques and truly believe the decision many of you might make is going to be a matter of emotion and little else.

So, just buy what you excites you the most for the right reasons... Both have great clubs, racing history and never a need to apologize for owning either.

Just sayin.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

IMO, fanboism is allowed on a site specifically designed for a certain segment (i.e., CORVETTEforum.COM).
To argue otherwise, is just being facetious or simply trolling.
There is a difference between having a bias for Corvettes and dismissing every other car in production.

I wonder if these fanboys have ever driven anything else. After driving something like a Lotus Elise of Cayman, you feel like you're fighting a Corvette into a corner.

Mid engine cars HANDLE. Cars like Corvettes just grip. It's hard to explain until you drive them back to back. I was lucky enough to drive a 911, Cayman, Miata, Elise and C7 in one day on the track. The difference with mid engine designs.

I don't understand how someone can just dismiss a car as wonderful as a boxster or cayman.

Last edited by village idiot; 10-09-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:25 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Corvette is made in USA. Seems like at least a tie breaker.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't know why you would want to "get less impartial answers" from other car clubs (by Tarantula post)---maybe he mis-wrote. LESS impartial? meaning the most impartial answers are here on, CF.

I have looked into both a C7 and the Boxster. The Boxster is an interesting car--can't fault the design, probably handles very well for its size and power, but that four cylinder engine....hard to take. Beautiful car tho, no doubt about it. I'm sure it's a jewel of balance and power and looks. Hard to knock it but for that four cylinder engine.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
I don't know why you would want to "get less impartial answers" from other car clubs (by Tarantula post)---maybe he mis-wrote. LESS impartial? meaning the most impartial answers are here on, CF.

I have looked into both a C7 and the Boxster. The Boxster is an interesting car--can't fault the design, probably handles very well for its size and power, but that four cylinder engine....hard to take. Beautiful car tho, no doubt about it. I'm sure it's a jewel of balance and power and looks. Hard to knock it but for that four cylinder engine.

American muscle is alive and well.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

There is a difference between having a bias for Corvettes and dismissing every other car in production.

I wonder if these fanboys have ever driven anything else. After driving something like a Lotus Elise of Cayman, you feel like you're fighting a Corvette into a corner.

Mid engine cars HANDLE. Cars like Corvettes just grip. It's hard to explain until you drive them back to back. I was lucky enough to drive a 911, Cayman, Miata, Elise and C7 in one day on the track. The difference with mid engine designs.

I don't understand how someone can just dismiss a car as wonderful as a boxster or cayman.
Owning both a stingray and Cayman, I have Corvette friends and Porsche friends and both feel strongly that their cars are the better choice and the other people are just wrong. Partisanship in Sport car people is as strong as it is in religion and politics

I've driven our 2 cars back to back on the track (both had Michelin Super Sports) and the Cayman was easier to drive fast. BUT the Stingray was about 2 seconds a lap faster around this circuit. The extra grip and HP/torque of the Stingray does have it's advantage.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:56 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

has OP ever driven a sports car with a dual clutch "automatic"?

Strange to dismiss a car because it has a dual clutch.

I would give up the clutch pedal in a heartbeat for a good dual clutch.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:22 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I would take a new 911 Carrera 2S over a Z06.
According to the Porsche website, prices start at $103,400.

WHO is doing this here?

I wonder if these fanboys have ever driven anything else.
Most likely they have.

After driving something like a Lotus Elise of Cayman, you feel like you're fighting a Corvette into a corner.
I don't "feel" like I'm fighting my Z06 in a corner...it's point and shoot.
BTW, not all drivers have the same amount of skills.

I have driven both a 458 Ferrari and an Aventador on a track.
While I didn't think much of the Lambo's AWD system, the Ferrari was magic.

And for the record, the 911 is rear engined and the Miata is front engined, not mid engined.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:49 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm not talking price wise, I'm talking overall performance, quality, resale, etc.

I love my C7 but I'm also a realist. You wouldn't take a Mustang GT over a Stingray would you?
Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

WHO is doing this here?
The guy who said who cares, go to a porsche forum?

I don't "feel" like I'm fighting my Z06 in a corner...it's point and shoot.
BTW, not all drivers have the same amount of skills.
That's why I said in comparison to the mid engine cars.
I have driven both a 458 Ferrari and an Aventador on a track.
While I didn't think much of the Lambo's AWD system, the Ferrari was magic.
Good. So you agree with me
And for the record, the 911 is rear engined and the Miata is front engined, not mid engined.
Yes, I know. I said I drove all these cars and the mid engine ones were awesome going into turns. I never said the 911 or Miata were mid engine.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

The guy who said who cares, go to a porsche forum?

That's why I said in comparison to the mid engine cars.

Good. So you agree with me

Yes, I know. I said I drove all these cars and the mid engine ones were awesome going into turns. I never said the 911 or Miata were mid engine.

just bought a c7 so I'm slightly prejudiced but the the Cayman is a great car. the Boxster just looks too boxy for me.

Ted

Last edited by Ted P; 10-10-2016 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spell the car correctly
Old 10-11-2016, 07:26 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I guess the OP is looking for some insight as to which car/brand is the better choice and why. I've never owned a P car so its been interesting hearing about the strengths and weaknesses in various models.

Its also been interesting to hear what posters feel about other drivers. We each have our own ideas as to what is favorable in a comparison. Some favor handling, some torque, some favor brand, better interior, better engine sounds. Many "filters" in our perspective on what's desirable. It depends on what tickles your fancy.

I'm coming at this from a different perspective than many of you. I'm a fanboy at heart, something that is looked down upon, it seems. I hear ya when you say this or that about better handling, tighter interior, better resale, etc. Lots of super cars out there with better features. My filter is pretty much "Corvette". After owning a C4 for 15 years I didn't look at any other car before I ordered my C7. I wanted a 3LT Corvette. Got one. (Frodo does happy dance)
Old 10-11-2016, 07:54 AM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frodo
I guess the OP is looking for some insight as to which car/brand is the better choice and why. I've never owned a P car so its been interesting hearing about the strengths and weaknesses in various models.

Its also been interesting to hear what posters feel about other drivers. We each have our own ideas as to what is favorable in a comparison. Some favor handling, some torque, some favor brand, better interior, better engine sounds. Many "filters" in our perspective on what's desirable. It depends on what tickles your fancy.

I'm coming at this from a different perspective than many of you. I'm a fanboy at heart, something that is looked down upon, it seems. I hear ya when you say this or that about better handling, tighter interior, better resale, etc. Lots of super cars out there with better features. My filter is pretty much "Corvette". After owning a C4 for 15 years I didn't look at any other car before I ordered my C7. I wanted a 3LT Corvette. Got one. (Frodo does happy dance)

Well said.

Owned Vettes since the sixties, just bought a new one. That's number ten for me. Looked at Caymans, thought about it, nah. Nothing satisfies like raw torque.

To each, his own.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport vs Boxster S

Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 AM
jivor
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

For some reason Porsche decided to attach the 718 moniker to the Boxster.

I always felt that though it is a nice car, Porsche seemed to hold back on the true potential of the Boxster (and the Cayman for that matter) so as not to intrude on their long cultivated 911 market.

Corvette is GM's performance car, and they've held very little back, at least until the Emperor comes along to trump that.

The Cayman GT4 is supposed to be magic on the track. If you get a Boxster, would you feel like you shortchanged yourself for not getting the 911, or even the Cayman?
Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jivor
For some reason Porsche decided to attach the 718 moniker to the Boxster.

I always felt that though it is a nice car, Porsche seemed to hold back on the true potential of the Boxster (and the Cayman for that matter) so as not to intrude on their long cultivated 911 market.

Corvette is GM's performance car, and they've held very little back, at least until the Emperor comes along to trump that.

The Cayman GT4 is supposed to be magic on the track. If you get a Boxster, would you feel like you shortchanged yourself for not getting the 911, or even the Cayman?
cayman runs R compounds.
It's kind of annoying to compare care at this point because half of them are running r compounds and half are running street.

I run about 5 secunds faster on a 175k mile, tired engine Miata with rcomp than a lotus Elise with street tires on a track that has big straights. That's how big of a difference rcomp makes.

*Miata has coil overs and a cage too, buy given how rough the track is, I'm not sure it helps.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:10 PM
bitsnkiblz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Holinski
Phillip - you ARE a CORVETTE guy. Be true to the marque. I suggest getting a Z06 or Grand Sport for a few years and see how the mid engine C8 evolves. I do think Corvette will be come a brand like Porsche and better things will continue to come at us.

Going to meet the GS I ordered in August tomorrow at my dealership and should get to bring it home on Tuesday or Wednesday. We are into Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and while I will enjoy the turkey feast I'd rather be getting my car on Monday.

I do love the avatar. My son is a pilot and mixing Corvettes and Jets is awesome.

Couldn't agree more?

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Grand Sport vs Boxster S