Sponsored by:

Graphite Roof defects

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:59 PM
dgb
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphite Roof defects

I just purchased a new 2016 C7 with the graphite roof option two days ago. The car was outside on the dealers lot and had been rained on prior to my purchase. Long story short I brought the car home and began to hand wash in my garage when I noticed that there were several small areas where the graphite weave was resin starved leaving imperfections under the clear coat. I have spent the last 30 plus years working with graphite composites so I am very aware of this problem. How this slipped past the Quality Assurance inspectors I have no idea. Will this be covered under my warranty and what is the best solution for this problem. A repaint will not solve the problem because of the resin starvation well below the surface. As an option costing $1995.00 extra this is definitely not acceptable. Any contact information would be helpful.
Thank you!
Old 10-09-2016, 02:50 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If the carbon fiber weave, I think that's what you're referring to, is messed up it should be covered under warranty. Bring it back and show it to them.
The following users liked this post:
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:06 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Good first step, see what they say.
Originally Posted by Rooster OG
If the carbon fiber weave, I think that's what you're referring to, is messed up it should be covered under warranty. Bring it back and show it to them.
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:30 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

How it slipped by the supplier is the question that should be asked. The car is under warranty, take it to the dealer and get a replacement roof.
There is no way that it can be fixed, clear coat goes away and the fiber will fray, GM will send it back to the supplier and get credit for it or a replacement roof panel. All GM will be out is for the latches and headliner, seals and stuff.
Let us know how it turns out.
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 03:45 PM
jgeer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a early 2014 that has blemish similar to your description over the driver area. Dealership consulted with GM and was told it was not bad enough to be replaced. I didn't push it. Hope you have better success.

gm
Originally Posted by dgb
I just purchased a new 2016 C7 with the graphite roof option two days ago. The car was outside on the dealers lot and had been rained on prior to my purchase. Long story short I brought the car home and began to hand wash in my garage when I noticed that there were several small areas where the graphite weave was resin starved leaving imperfections under the clear coat. I have spent the last 30 plus years working with graphite composites so I am very aware of this problem. How this slipped past the Quality Assurance inspectors I have no idea. Will this be covered under my warranty and what is the best solution for this problem. A repaint will not solve the problem because of the resin starvation well below the surface. As an option costing $1995.00 extra this is definitely not acceptable. Any contact information would be helpful.
Thank you!
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Desmtg
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts

I got a new top for a very small blemish in the cf top. It's up to the dealer and area rep, if they push you will get new top under warranty
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 PM
revilingfool
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I work at a chevy.

Im not sure what the rain has to do with it, all 80 of our vettes are outside.

The best thing you can do is be calm about it. Call ahead and say what you found. Ask to bring the car in so sales can put eyes on it. Compare it to the other tops they have in stock, if its abnormal they should take care of it no questions.

Last edited by revilingfool; 10-09-2016 at 04:37 PM.
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 05:07 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Hmm, got past QA and you. I am sure you scrutinized the car before purchase...
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 06:01 PM
dgb
7th Gear

Thanks for the information, I just mentioned the rain portion because the dried rain spots helped to hide the defects. Once cleaned they were evident. The first two people that came to view the car thought there were a couple of bird droppings.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:41 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:53 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

If it's that obvious, it shouldn't be an issue.
dgb (10-09-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 12:08 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,481 Likes on 14,071 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I would certainly push for a warranty replacement. An option costing that much should be perfect.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:46 AM
dgb
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I would certainly push for a warranty replacement. An option costing that much should be perfect.
My thoughts exactly. I don't have the exact price for the included standard roof but ordering a second roof option is $995.00 so adding the additional cost of the graphite roof option being $1995.00 brings total approximate cost to $2990.00 for a roof panel approx. 2' X 4'. If there were defects much smaller in any painted panel it would definitely be cause for rejection. I will contact GM this morning and ask for their opinion and offer pictures.
Thanks for your comment.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:08 AM
dgb
7th Gear

Default Better explanation of rain concealing defects

Originally Posted by revilingfool
I work at a chevy.

Im not sure what the rain has to do with it, all 80 of our vettes are outside.

The best thing you can do is be calm about it. Call ahead and say what you found. Ask to bring the car in so sales can put eyes on it. Compare it to the other tops they have in stock, if its abnormal they should take care of it no questions.
Hopefully you can see the rain residue on the car with the included attachment. The dealership had just pulled the car into their shop to have it cleaned for pickup later. I just happened to snap a couple of pics with my phone. I had already viewed the interior earlier and simply took a look at the wheels and body panels for scratches when picking up. The car was parked in the shade and the defects are less noticeable without direct sun. With sun on the roof they are very noticeable. The car was new with only a couple of miles on the odometer.
Attached Files
Old 10-10-2016, 10:15 AM
dgb
7th Gear

Default Graphite roof defects

Originally Posted by falconhulk
Hmm, got past QA and you. I am sure you scrutinized the car before purchase...
Thanks for your comment. Please look at the reply to revilingfool and the attachment. This may help to see why I did not see the defects until the next morning. In hindsight I should have gone over every inch of the car a second time before accepting. I also would have thought that this type of defect would have been caught during the MFG process. This defect would have been immediately rejected in any painted panel but is less noticeable on the graphite without direct sunlight.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:17 AM
dgb
7th Gear

Default Wow

Originally Posted by Randy G.
That is exactly what I was expecting the roof on my car to look like. Sadly not yet but hopefully in the future.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:55 PM
dgb
7th Gear

Just an update on the Graphite roof with defects and the follow up replacement for anyone with a similar problem.
I called GM who issued a case number and said that I would need to visit the dealer who sold the car and they would make an assessment. Now the good part. I stopped at the dealer the next day. The service manager immediately ordered a new roof, it arrived in about 10 days, was inspected and sent to a paint shop to measure and match the original roof outline (apparently the roofs come unpainted as replacements). They compared the new replacement roof to the roof with defects, took measurements, painted the new roof on the edges. A few days later the dealership called to bring in my car, made some small adjustments to align the roof and now I have a defect free gorgeous graphite roof. Bottom line these defects were small but very noticeable and the dealership was awesome to deal with, no problems what-so ever. I'm sure it depends on the dealership and service department in a situation like this. This is the best experience I have ever had at any dealership!

Get notified of new replies

To Graphite Roof defects

Quick Reply: Graphite Roof defects