OnStar phone vs cell range?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:14 PM
13brv3
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default OnStar phone vs cell range?

Greetings,

I've never been a fan of Onstar, but I've read that the built in phone may have more range than a typical cell phone. This is believable because it should have a better antenna, and also possibly more power. Here in East TN, my cell is often out of range on the fun roads, so it would be nice if the Onstar phone has more range.

Has anyone ever noticed a time when their cell was out of range, but the Onstar phone worked? To be fair, they'd have to both be on the same service, which I "think" is AT&T.

I'm waiting for a 2017 that's on order, which will be the 4th Onstar vehicle I've owned. I've never used the phone in the previous vehicles, but I might be willing to try it if there really is more range.

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 10-15-2016, 06:32 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

It is AT&T .. I doubt signal is better than a phone. FYI .. since it is AT&T .. you can add your C7 to your MobileShare plan so it shares your Data ... cost the same as adding an iPad .. $10/month.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:09 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Never used onstar. Didnt even know it had a phone on it. Luckily, my Verizon phone has never lost a signal. Well except in a few remote areas in Alaska. Cant see the point and dont use AT&T so no need for me.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:32 PM
13brv3
Racer

Originally Posted by dmhines
It is AT&T .. I doubt signal is better than a phone. FYI .. since it is AT&T .. you can add your C7 to your MobileShare plan so it shares your Data ... cost the same as adding an iPad .. $10/month.
I have read about adding it to the mobileshare plan, and plan to do that if the range is any better than my phone. Pity I can't add the cars built in phone capability as well (without Onstar).

It's a different world here in East TN. Roads I travel every day have no usable cell service from any provider, and they don't seem to have any shoulders either. It's a good thing cars are a LOT more reliable than they used to be

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 10-16-2016, 02:17 AM
Kraz8s
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Up until mid 2014 they used the VZ network, then they went over to the AT&T network. Check out the service foot print maps to see the coverage areas. Fun fact: AT&T actually leases towers from other providers so coverage areas are relatively similar.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:40 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,971 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Bigger antenna plus higher power (3 watts, versus less than 1 and usually closer to a half for handheld cell phones) means it almost certainly will get reception in more places than your handheld phone. Very few real-world reports of what that translate to in the area you are in. I do recall a post on one of the car forums (not here) that someone who was in the mountains of NY got reception with Onstar he could never get with his cell. That was when Onstar was on Verizon though.
The following users liked this post:
13brv3 (10-16-2016)
Old 10-16-2016, 09:40 AM
13brv3
Racer

Originally Posted by Kraz8s
Up until mid 2014 they used the VZ network, then they went over to the AT&T network. Check out the service foot print maps to see the coverage areas. Fun fact: AT&T actually leases towers from other providers so coverage areas are relatively similar.
I had thought they used to use Verizon, but didn't know when they switched. I have AT&T on my phones, because their service works better where I live. Coverage maps that you can find online are too vague to really help much if you're on the fringe, but AT&T can pull up much more detailed maps if you're at one of their stores.

There are clearly differences in phone reception, and my Galaxy S7 gets better reception than my Gear S2 watch. There are a lot of compromises made in electronics to squeeze it all into a small package that uses minimal battery power, so there's reason to hope that the cellular system in a car will do better than the phone.

I was just curious if anyone had experience with this, but in a month or so, I guess I'll be able to test it for myself.

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 10-16-2016, 09:45 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

Check out this link, as it may answer many questions.

https://www.onstar.com/us/en/services/coveragemaps.html

Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If I remember correctly the OnStar phone is better as its a satellite phone where the cell phones use towers. At least that's what I was told or read or something. When I drive from Iowa to Arizona there are a few places where cell phone reception is non existent. In those cases, when needed, I have used OnStar.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:42 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,971 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
If I remember correctly the OnStar phone is better as its a satellite phone where the cell phones use towers. At least that's what I was told or read or something. When I drive from Iowa to Arizona there are a few places where cell phone reception is non existent. In those cases, when needed, I have used OnStar.
Onstar phones use cellular service for phone calls.. As noted, used to be Verizon and now AT&T and are more powerful than your handheld.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 13brv3a
Greetings,

I've never been a fan of Onstar, but I've read that the built in phone may have more range than a typical cell phone. This is believable because it should have a better antenna, and also possibly more power. Here in East TN, my cell is often out of range on the fun roads, so it would be nice if the Onstar phone has more range.

Has anyone ever noticed a time when their cell was out of range, but the Onstar phone worked? To be fair, they'd have to both be on the same service, which I "think" is AT&T.

I'm waiting for a 2017 that's on order, which will be the 4th Onstar vehicle I've owned. I've never used the phone in the previous vehicles, but I might be willing to try it if there really is more range.

Thanks,
Rusty
My guess is maybe you need a different cell phone carrier or have a friend ride with you in your car to check out the signal on their phone !!! I have a friend who lives near me and his cell service ( new tower) is only 1 or 2 bars ( Verizon) and mine is 3 or 4 bars T-Mobile !!! Wayne
Old 10-23-2016, 11:53 AM
13brv3
Racer

Originally Posted by wgood
My guess is maybe you need a different cell phone carrier or have a friend ride with you in your car to check out the signal on their phone !!! I have a friend who lives near me and his cell service ( new tower) is only 1 or 2 bars ( Verizon) and mine is 3 or 4 bars T-Mobile !!! Wayne
Thanks for the thought, but there's no cell carrier that's significantly better than another here. If you have one particular spot that needs to be optimized, you may be able to find the best carrier for that spot, but it might not be the best overall. I already changed from Verizon to AT&T because it was better at my house, and just as good in general.

Terrain is the issue, and lack of towers, so a weak signal is the best you can hope for most of the time. In many areas the best cell phone in the world likely won't get a signal, but if the built in phone can improve my range, it might be worth dealing with Onstar.

Cheers,
Rusty
Old 10-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by 13brv3a
Greetings,

Thanks,
Rusty
Haven't particularly noticed it in my Corvettes but I have in my Tahoe. In areas of limited coverage my cell phone will say out of service and I can keep right on talking with the OnStar phone. The Tahoe with its all metal body probably has a better antenna than a Corvette but the Corvette is still going to have a much better antenna than any hand held cell phone. Transmitter power is the same for all of them the antenna is what makes the difference. It isn't the receive range of the phone it is the transmit range that determines whether your on in service or not. The cell phone may receive the tower's signals but the system doesn't know the cell phone is in that tower's range if the tower can't pick up the weak signal from the cell phone. Where I used to live and drive in UpState NY there were plenty of out of service areas due to hills or towns that prohibited cell towers. My cell phone didn't respond in those areas but the OnStar phone in the Tahoe didn't notice a problem. It didn't matter which carrier you were on the dead areas were pretty much all the same due to topography and regulations.

I have OnStar turned on in all 3 of my vehicles. I have the lowest cost plan on each. When it comes to dealing with OnStar they are no where near the worst company to deal with. I have never been cheated by them or treated disrespectfully like XM used to do after Sirius took them over. They were bad. It was like dealing with one of those crooked stock brokers. Luckily, over the last few years they seemed to have cleaned up XM's act.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-23-2016 at 04:31 PM.
13brv3 (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 06:09 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I can tell you from first hand experience that the car has greater range than any hand-held cell phone.

I was in a remote section of NM, and came across a horrific one car accident. There were perhaps a dozen + people who were already on the scene, but when I called OnStar and informed them, they told me I was the first to call for help. I stayed and relayed info via OnStar until the first responder arrived (with whatever radio setup they had) and it was over a half-hour until the ambulance arrived. AFAIK, they still had no other phone communication, but me.
13brv3 (10-23-2016)
Old 10-23-2016, 06:20 PM
13brv3
Racer

Thanks to you both. That's really encouraging! I joke that if you go off the road around here, no one will ever find you, and you can't call for help even if you're still conscious. I have a 2014 Silverado that I never even activated, and I bet that shark fin antenna on top is better than what the Corvette has hiding under the skin. When I do the factory tour, I need to remember to look for the antenna.

Thanks,
Rusty
Old 08-12-2018, 09:17 PM
Travis Kirbyson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old thread but...

I've lost reception once in a freaking Sonic.

​​Even when I was over 30 miles out of range from service on my phone in rural mountains in Washington, I still had service via onstar.

Everyone uses my car when we go camping for phone calls etc. Lol
Old 08-13-2018, 12:56 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 13brv3
Greetings,

Thanks,
Rusty
More range with the OnStar phone has been my experience in the past. On a related note, does the OnStar phone function on the latest C7's search your Contacts when you say "call"? In older cars I had to use a separate memory for the call function.

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar phone vs cell range?

Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 PM
St!ngray
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Yes it does.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:35 PM
DarthKickA
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

No experience in the Corvette, but I live in Middle Tennessee and for many years I had a lake house at Center Hill lake. In my work 2007 Silverado, the only way to make a call from our remote Lake House was with Onstar. Many tried with Verizon, ATT, and (lol) Sprint and all failed. But had flawless reception with the Onstar. Back then they were using Verizon. Most signals stopped when the asphalt turned to dirt roads near Austin Bottom. Onstar worked all the time.

I purposefully kept minutes on the plan just for that reason as we liked to use poor judgement and make terrible decisions while at the lake. Just in case we needed an ambulance or a pizza delivered.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:11 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Amblance or pizza? Both good reasons.

Quick Reply: OnStar phone vs cell range?