C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three Dings - what is my car telling me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:11 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
Nope. Still dinging. Dealer needs me to leave the car with them to be able to plug some laptops in and analyze. I'll have to figure out when I feel like leaving it.
This sounds like a wild goose chase. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:44 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Is your car a convertible? Lower the top, then raise it. Make sure the top is all the way up. You may also have to reindex the windows. There's another thread with a similar mystery traced to the top not being 100% up.

Just a thought...

Ron
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by RonC7
Is your car a convertible? Lower the top, then raise it. Make sure the top is all the way up. You may also have to reindex the windows. There's another thread with a similar mystery traced to the top not being 100% up.

Just a thought...

Ron
yeah I saw that thread, but my car is a coupe. If you check my very first post, and listen to the youtube video, you will notice these dings are different in sound than the regular ding you hear when the door is open with ignition on, or other triggers. Very odd sounding chime.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:45 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

yeah I saw that thread, but my car is a coupe. If you check my very first post, and listen to the youtube video, you will notice these dings are different in sound than the regular ding you hear when the door is open with ignition on, or other triggers. Very odd sounding chime.
I think you can get the Top Not Secure with the coupe, also.
Try removing or just lifting the targa top off and resetting it to see if the dings go away.
When my vert did this yesterday after the airbag upgrade, the TNS message appeared and then went away. I think I managed to dismiss it somehow. Have you tried to go to the Info link on the DIC to see if the message is there?
Old 11-10-2016, 03:30 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by jaki30
I think you can get the Top Not Secure with the coupe, also.
Try removing or just lifting the targa top off and resetting it to see if the dings go away.
When my vert did this yesterday after the airbag upgrade, the TNS message appeared and then went away. I think I managed to dismiss it somehow. Have you tried to go to the Info link on the DIC to see if the message is there?
There are no sensors on the targa top. That's why we had a thread about a guy who killed 2 tops from not latching them.

Jimmy
Old 11-10-2016, 03:42 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

There is a sensor for the coupe top, but it only concerns the intrusion/motion sensor. I have no idea why they didn't include a warning that the top was not secure.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:54 PM
SCB
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Didn't drive yesterday, it was raining and didn't feel like washing it after.

So this morning, I noticed when I left the house, the blinkers were not making blinky noises, and the dings did happen twice. I had my iphone turned off when this happened, so it's not my phone. I stopped for starbucks with my kid and when we came back out the blinkers were working fine again. Dealer is down the street from my kids school so after dropping her off, I went by there to see what they thought.

One of the techs listened to the video and said he wasn't sure what the noise was either. We thought maybe it was related to the blinkers not making noise, but when I left the dealer, the blinkers were working and the dings still came back. They were too busy to take my car in to check it out so I'll have to make an appt to have it looked at. There are no codes, it has a full tank of gas, tires are all at 32psi, oil life is at 60%, can't think of anything else it would be trying to tell me.

I may go in next week to have them plug their stuff in and take a deeper look than what my generic code reader can do.
When a bulb went out in a tail light on older cars, some would stop making the clicking sound or would blink fast. Maybe it is trying to tell you some light is out or malfunctioning. Maybe even in the visor.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:53 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Maybe passing thru a red light camera zone?
Old 11-19-2016, 08:06 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I have yet to have the recall done and hope to avoid it all together. With all the problems associated with the recall, I may just avoid it all together. Not sure if dealers are forced to do it when in for service. As another member said, wayyyy too many electronics on these. Need an engine and a throttle and a healthy right foot, not much more. GPS, Car Play and all that other stuff is just fluff.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:27 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by vbdenny
As another member said, wayyyy too many electronics on these. Need an engine and a throttle and a healthy right foot, not much more. GPS, Car Play and all that other stuff is just fluff.
There are plenty of C2 or C1 cars still available. There's no reason you have to put up with a modern automobile. You can get an older one for that pure sports car experience.

Quick Reply: Three Dings - what is my car telling me?