You guys are paying cash for Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
He said they lose twice. They bought instead of leasing, and it's a depreciating asset they ended up owning.
One more time; aren't cash buyers doing the same thing? Didn't they buy instead of leasing and don't they own a depreciating asset?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
WTF? The cars of the guys who paid cash don't depreciate?
You missed the point(s).

The guy who loses his home and his car, have neither. The cash buyer will have the luxury of a paid for car.

Your guy, has neither.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:23 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chas70
This whole thread is reminding me of why this country is so divided. most of the criticism seems to be coming from those calling the ones that pay cash stupid. For what reason I don't know except for being a know it all with an arrogant eletist attitude.
There is no stupid one way or the other regardless of what they think. I was always taught that the people who refer to others as stupid are the stupid ones. Accept that not everybody sees things the same as you and believe it or not. IT IS OK.
When you lose your home and car, because you mortgaged your home to finance the car, if you can't make the payments, the next stop is a cardboard box under the overpass. It can happen to people that thought they knew it all regards credit.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
You missed the point(s).

The guy who loses his home and his car, have neither. The cash buyer will have the luxury of a paid for car.

Your guy, has neither.
Didn't miss anything. My premise all along has been based on someone who has the cash and chooses to keep the money and finance the car. I feel like this thread has started over like the movie Groundhog Day.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:07 AM
witch hunt
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

So I just bought a new TV for ~$1000. I could have paid cash for it right there. Salesman says we are offering "0 %" financing for 2 years. What do you think I did? Hint: I didn't pay cash. And with automatic payments, I'll never have to deal with them. Yes, it's 2016 not 1980.
Walt---I agree with most points and ideas I see you make on the forum, but I'd like to believe it'll be a pretty long while before I make payments on a TV. Just as soon put it on a card, take the "bonus points" and pay for it when the bill arrives. One other thing, on a retail purchase of an appliance, high-end TV, HVAC items, etc, you may be surprised at the discount you can get simply for asking and paying cash for the item or service.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:22 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Very interesting money management practices. I'm going to bed .......no worries, no bills, nothing to remember.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:16 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by chas70
This whole thread is reminding me of why this country is so divided. . . . For what reason I don't know except for being a know it all with an arrogant eletist attitude.
Ain't that the truth!

People need to lighten up. About everything.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
When you lose your home and car, because you mortgaged your home to finance the car, if you can't make the payments, the next stop is a cardboard box under the overpass. It can happen to people that thought they knew it all regards credit.
Wondered how all those folks could get loans for new homes and then defaulted on payment during the recent “subprime mortgage crisis.” Financing a new car ($50,000 trucks around here) were a key problem.

Existing home owners could get loans for their new vehicle as a 2nd mortgage based on their home value. Banks gave loans based on over inflated house value. Some folks over extended their ability to pay and lost there home and new vehicle!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-06-2016 at 07:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
chas70 (12-06-2016), Skid Row Joe (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 AM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rbartick
One could argue that buying an expensive and unnecessary depreciating asset like a Corvette is not a good way to increase your net worth.
Mine has been worth more than I owe on it since day 1.

Good down will prevent you from being upside down.

The rates are so low now tying up the capitol in a car is an opportunity cost question.

To some owning cars outright help them sleep. Passive income helps me.

Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
RoadVettes (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

JerryU et al:

I saw yesterday on a news feed somewhere online that 6 million people are in / have gone 90 days delinquent on their new car loans.

I also heard on news radio that this 2016 is shaping up to be a record sales year for the auto manufacturers.

Ppl are very confident in the economy outlook going forward.

My hope is that the economy just keeps getting better for everyone!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:32 PM
PetroniDE
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Paid cash for both of mine (about 4 years apart). If I buy another one it will also be cash. Staying debt-free as retirement approaches is first financial priority.
The following 2 users liked this post by PetroniDE:
chas70 (12-06-2016), Skid Row Joe (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Roadrogue
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

All I can say is if it were not for credit I wouldn't have had the many motorcycles and home with the attendant experiences. Or my Vette. My life would have been so much shallower if I only bought what I could afford. Sorry Dad.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:45 PM
LT4_CE
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 111 Posts

Just saw this...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...s-cash-new-c7/

But wasn't it already featured here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...-pay-cash-car/

This thread will not die!

And, as the OP pointed out, it's spun way away from his original intent. He was talking about comparing Corvette cash buyers to other sports cars cash buyers. Oh well, like I said before, this is the Walking Dead of threads...
Old 12-06-2016, 04:23 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Let's say you lease your whole life.
You're 60 yrs old and you have a leased car in the garage, nothing else
You bought cars all your life and you own 4 or 6 cars with mileage.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:04 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014C7
Mine has been worth more than I owe on it since day 1.

Good down will prevent you from being upside down.

The rates are so low now tying up the capitol in a car is an opportunity cost question.

To some owning cars outright help them sleep. Passive income helps me.
I think you missed my point. I didn't say anything about financing or paying cash. Your post said:

Originally Posted by 2014C7
Now if you want to generate wealth you look at how to increase your net worth. Paying cash for a depreciating asset is not a way to do that.
I only pointed out that purchasing an expensive and unnecessary depreciating asset is not a good way to increase your net worth.

Last edited by rbartick; 12-06-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:41 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I put 20k down,my FICO score was 830. I took A loan out for the remaining 30K.My FICO score went to the max 850 til I paid it off in 7 months.Then The FICO score went down to 820,10 points lower than before the loan.Go figure.I should have just paid straight cash.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 AM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Originally Posted by thrilled
I put 20k down,my FICO score was 830. I took A loan out for the remaining 30K.My FICO score went to the max 850 til I paid it off in 7 months.Then The FICO score went down to 820,10 points lower than before the loan.Go figure.I should have just paid straight cash.
You use alot of credit then to have a high score.

Last edited by zdeckich; 12-07-2016 at 08:46 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To You guys are paying cash for Corvettes

Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I think this is a great debate! Very enlightening on both sides of the coin (pun intended). I also think it has a lot to do with age. And I don't mean that in a "with age comes wisdom" sort of way. I mean that in just like a 401K investment situation, you are better off with an aggressive investment approach while you're young, then back off to a more relaxed/safe investment as you get older. While you are young, you can afford to play harder with your money, you should have plenty of time to recover. Whereas the older you get, being debt free becomes very important! With that said, I bought my C7 when I was 31 and paid cash, but that was mainly because I have many other large payments and simply didn't want another!
Old 12-07-2016, 09:43 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by StingerBG
I think this is a great debate! Very enlightening on both sides of the coin (pun intended). I also think it has a lot to do with age. And I don't mean that in a "with age comes wisdom" sort of way. I mean that in just like a 401K investment situation, you are better off with an aggressive investment approach while you're young, then back off to a more relaxed/safe investment as you get older. While you are young, you can afford to play harder with your money, you should have plenty of time to recover. Whereas the older you get, being debt free becomes very important! With that said, I bought my C7 when I was 31 and paid cash, but that was mainly because I have many other large payments and simply didn't want another!

Very well said. Every investment manager I talked with advised that as one approaches retirement, reduce your debt. Yes, there are those seniors who are experts at investments, and I mean really good at predicting the markets. But for average guys like me, risk taking is not advisable.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by StingerBG
Sounds like you've earned the right to have your cake and eat it too! That's an enviable financial position to be in. Never forget the longer your dollars are invested, the more time they will have to grow - retirement AND non-retirement plans.

One example; in December 1981, I bought $2,100.00 in a closed end mutual fund. In 35 years, it's grown to $100,000.00. I've added no money to it. It's non-retirement monies, and I've paid CG taxes on it's growth annually. It's still part of my stock portfolio. That's probably not the greatest growth over time, but I just left it alone, and let it grow.

The earlier you put more away for yourself, retirement and non-retirement, the more you're likely to have decades down the line.
The following users liked this post:
StingerBG (12-08-2016)

Quick Reply: You guys are paying cash for Corvettes