Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retractable side-view mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Does anybody know of anybody who sells after market retractable mirrors for the C7? Seems to me like it might be a good product.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:19 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

I had blind spot indicators and warning in my previous car. At first I thought they were pretty nifty. However, after owning the car for a couple of years, I discovered that not a single time did the warning prevent me from plowing into another car while changing lanes. That is to say never once did I try to change lanes when my blind spot wasn't clear, and thus never heard the warning. Never once was the blind spot indicator on when I didn't know there was somebody in my blind spot.

Maybe it helps some people, but I've never been unaware to the point where I don't know what is going on in the lanes next to me where the blind spot indicators or warnings would be helpful.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:36 PM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
That's been discussed here and Tadge responded to it, Check his responses. There appear to be two sets of reasons. From Tadge's perspective, there's not enough room and it would interfere with the rear intake vents. The second set of responses from users is that they aren't needed in a "true" sports car and besides, they interfere with radar detectors because they use the same frequency.

Of course, other sports cars like Jaguar do have them, but the point has been "overlooked" by those who are against them. I would like them for personal reasons as I have a chronically sore neck and can't turn my head very easily to check. It hurts too badly. It's not as if the visibility on a C7 is very good. I have the feature on my CTS VSport and really like it a lot.
The Euro spec cars have bigger mirrors, which i would assume also direct air to the rear vents. Nowhere can i find them, they would be an excellent alternative...
Old 10-22-2016, 10:42 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by mustclime
Weight,weight and more weight.
I doubt that. Look how much extra stuff had to be added to accommodate the electric doors.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
I had blind spot indicators and warning in my previous car. At first I thought they were pretty nifty. However, after owning the car for a couple of years, I discovered that not a single time did the warning prevent me from plowing into another car while changing lanes. That is to say never once did I try to change lanes when my blind spot wasn't clear, and thus never heard the warning. Never once was the blind spot indicator on when I didn't know there was somebody in my blind spot.

Maybe it helps some people, but I've never been unaware to the point where I don't know what is going on in the lanes next to me where the blind spot indicators or warnings would be helpful.
I'm with you. I had them on my last car and didn't rely on them at all. Properly aligned mirrors and shoulder check.

I would like the folding mirrors.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:37 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Backing out of the garage, I whacked the passenger mirror on the jamb, even while looking at it, however, no damage at all...it just folded away.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Corvette-Master
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Blind spot indicators would be great also.... I wonder why chevy is leaving out options like this on their halo car.
Chevrolet has always been five years behind with the Corvette when it comes to common street driving technology such as blind spot warning, folding mirrors, and active cruise and acrive braking on Corvette. Its a 100k car and no blind spot warning? Its almost laughable at this point. Let's face it whatever options you can get on a Malibu you should have STANDARD on a $100k Corvette.

Last edited by Corvette-Master; 10-23-2016 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:19 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
I doubt that. Look how much extra stuff had to be added to accommodate the electric doors.
Actually, one might say weight was still a driving decision for the electric doors, at least in one aspect:

By going with electric door poppers, the mechanics that pop the door can be in the frame rather than in the door itself, saving weight in the door, and shifting that weight further back helping with the 50/50 weight distribution.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:23 PM
CaliforniaJed
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

There's really no need for retractable mirrors on a Corvette IMHO. They don't stick out far, and whatever weight/costs would be devoted to it I would rather see in performance. That said, am I the only one who thinks the design of the mirrors looks dated? To me, they seem stuck in the 1990s!
Old 10-22-2016, 10:50 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

For my driving (and parking) I could get by without retractable mirrors. But, personally, i would really like to have BSM. Like it on my Lexus and on even on my 2008 Ford F150 . . .
Old 11-06-2016, 10:47 PM
farne230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate everyones response.
Thank you,

Quick Reply: Retractable side-view mirrors?