Sponsored by:

Car Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
You might also want to check for any tow truck damage on the front end. Some guys pull these cars by brute force.

Maybe the dealer you bought the car from could give you an estimate of diminished value.
Especially true if they didn't put it on a flat bed.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by springer-
=

My Fun advice, I would fight tooth and nail to make the carrier keep the vehicle and cover all your costs (make you whole).

Real advice GO GET A LAWYER. At least go talk to one and find out what your REAL options are. Seriously, Get a lawyer. Unless you consider this pocket change, you will likely be screwed in the long run if you don't protect yourself. Everyone else involved has lawyers and you are the enemy.
I agree with most of the above, but not the first sentence of his post-so, I deleted it.

Otherwise, I would follow what he says above because that last sentence is most likely very accurate. Unless the shipper is a one-person show, they have lawyers, the seller has them and you don't. For now. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Isn't your insurance company handling it? If so, you negotiate with your insurance company and let them worry about recouping including dimished value. It shouldn't be up to you. Correct?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:28 PM
springer-
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy G.
Isn't your insurance company handling it? If so, you negotiate with your insurance company and let them worry about recouping including dimished value. It shouldn't be up to you. Correct?
The mistake people make is thinking their insurance company is on their side, they are not. They will try to find every way possible to keep the amount they pay to a minimum. Deductibles, adjusters, repairs, blame etc. Then they raise your rates because the last 20 years of incident free rates means nothing to them.

IMO, this is how I would look at it. I didn't buy a car that was previously stolen. I didn't buy a car that has been on Joy rides. I didn't buy a car that was previously damaged, scratched and door not shutting. I bought a car that was slightly used and 99%.

What they now want to deliver is a previously stolen, damaged, scratched, joy ride driven, beat up car and a check to "fix" it. I would have my lawyer express this to the insurance company (doesn't matter who's, mine or theirs) and submit the receipts of everything I was out of pocket. I would expect a check in that amount and not care who fights over what insurance company gets the car.

Now I am not a lawyer but I would be talking to one to see if that was a reasonable expectation.

Again JMHO.

Last edited by springer-; 11-04-2016 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2016, 04:54 AM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default diminshed value

You got the car back. You're going to have it repaired, hopefully paid for by the shippers insurance, and have it to enjoy. Do you really think spending the next few years/$$$ trying to get back a few $$$ is going to make you happy?
The following users liked this post:
ZMan64 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:39 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Too bad it was found...in addition to the damage don't never know how hard they drove the car.

Sucks all the way around.
I feel terrible for the OP and am hopeful he gets his money and the car repaired like new That said, he purchased a used car from someone other than the original owner. I think it is safe to say he already didn't know how hard the car was driven, and no sense on worrying about this little extra driving. Not worth stressing about, with all the other stresses the poor guy has...
Old 11-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Bob Z.
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

"Diminished Value" is key here. If you have learned nothing else here, which is not surprising based on the # is senseless posts, use that term when dealing with them. You will settle this by one of two ways: The car is not totaled so can take it back and they will pay you to make it as it was, along with an amount for diminished value, or refuse the car and have their insurance carrier pay you what you paid. By the way, I have been through this before.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:00 AM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

The reading comprehension displayed throughout this thread is abhorrent.

I'm sorry to read about your loss OP, and I hope since it has been recovered, the repairs are done to your satisfaction, and you can fully enjoy the car going forward. It's sad when an event that is supposed to be nothing but joy turns into such a big headache.

Post some photos when you finally get to take delivery of your C7!
Old 11-04-2016, 02:06 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Up until this thread I thought the phrase "made whole" was only uttered by lawyers and Italian mobsters. If my past assumption was correct there must be a lot of mobsters that own corvettes...cause I can tell from those posts they ain't no lawyers!
Old 11-04-2016, 02:31 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ls777z
You got the car back. You're going to have it repaired, hopefully paid for by the shippers insurance, and have it to enjoy. Do you really think spending the next few years/$$$ trying to get back a few $$$ is going to make you happy?
^^This.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
"Diminished Value" is key here. If you have learned nothing else here, which is not surprising based on the # is senseless posts, use that term when dealing with them. You will settle this by one of two ways: The car is not totaled so can take it back and they will pay you to make it as it was, along with an amount for diminished value, or refuse the car and have their insurance carrier pay you what you paid. By the way, I have been through this before.
Talk about senseless posts. Did you miss the part where the OP said he purchased the car? It's his. He owns it. He cannot refuse the car. It's a '14 with relatively minor damage. It'll be repaired, and the OP may or may not receive anything for diminished value. And even if he does receive some sort of financial compensation, it probably won't be much because again, it's a used car.

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
The reading comprehension displayed throughout this thread is abhorrent.
Abhorrent? Really, you feel that strongly? Or is abhorrent the word of the day on your desk top calendar?
Old 11-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I guess i might as well stop asking for pics

Quick Reply: Car Stolen