Sponsored by:

Z51 sway bar kit for NON-Z51 w/Mag Ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Default Z51 sway bar kit for NON-Z51 w/Mag Ride

Has anyone installed the Z51 sway bar kit on their '16 or '17 Non Z51 with Mag Ride (FE2) Stingray? When ordering, I noticed that there are 2 Rear bars to choose from. One is the standard 26.5mm and the other called Magnetic Ride Bar is 31mm. The 31mm bar is basically the Z06 bar. I went with the 26.5 rear bar. did I choose correctly?
Old 11-05-2016, 03:08 AM
JoeHat
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 16 1lt vert with magride, it may have seemed a little soft in tour mode so I installed the z51 magride bar in the rear. The front stock bar feels stiff enough to me. I went with the larger rear bar figuring if it was too stiff for my liking it would be easier to sell. But it feels fine. Not traktime on the setup, but I like tour mode feel better than without it. Without it , to me in sport mode it still handled fantastic. So overall it did stiffen up the rear a lot. The diff between the smaller bar and the magride bar is probably not a great deal???
Old 09-12-2022, 01:59 PM
emfollin
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I realize this thread is 6 years old but with the passage of time; what's been the consensus? Magride (31mm) bar or standard (26.5mm) in the rear for a base FE2 suspension?
Old 09-13-2022, 09:59 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

An "Advance search" across the Forums here should dredge up the answer by now. But, really unless tracking it probably wouldn't matter either way. The question is one of risk of over-steer if the wrong one (too large).

Old 09-13-2022, 10:03 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 474 Likes on 273 Posts

The answer depends on how you use your car and what you want for performance. The smaller bar will allow more body roll and more understeer. Body roll will be noticeable any time you corner hard. Some people - myself included - do not get bothered by a little body roll. Other people cannot stand it. The 31mm bar is significantly stiffer than the 26.5mm bar. So body roll difference should be noticeable.

The understeer caused by the smaller bar will only happen at the limits of tire grip, meaning when the front or back tires start sliding - that action is only noticeable on the track or in autocross since you you have to be driving like a nut job to get to that point on the street.

I have the 31mm rear bar on my 2018 Stingray with FE1 suspension. It seems just right to me in that the car is perfectly balanced at the limit during autocross and drives nicely on the street. I did also change the shocks to the Z51 (non-mag ride) shocks.
Old 09-15-2022, 10:21 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

l read where keeping the original smaller front base swaybar along with the larger 31 mm rear was preferable.

I remember where they had installed the larger front but then went back to the smaller front bar to get the better preferred handling.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 09-15-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:08 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

It was me that went back to smaller base bar up front with the 31mm bar on back. That provides neutral balance. I recognize that not everyone wants a neutral balance. If you have neutral balance, the car is more likely to spin if you make a mistake driving at the limit. I have spun mine a few times during autocross events. Some people want a safety net and that means a car that understeers at the limit.

If you only drive on the street, there is no reason to try to get true neutral balance - the limits are going to be very high in either configuration. A spin during an emergency maneuver on the street could have disastrous consequences. And some people might prefer the stiffer front and rear bar to minimize body roll. Although, the body roll is pretty small in either configuration as well.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:34 PM
Y2KOOLVETTE
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerRik
The answer depends on how you use your car and what you want for performance. The smaller bar will allow more body roll and more understeer. Body roll will be noticeable any time you corner hard. Some people - myself included - do not get bothered by a little body roll. Other people cannot stand it. The 31mm bar is significantly stiffer than the 26.5mm bar. So body roll difference should be noticeable.

The understeer caused by the smaller bar will only happen at the limits of tire grip, meaning when the front or back tires start sliding - that action is only noticeable on the track or in autocross since you you have to be driving like a nut job to get to that point on the street.

I have the 31mm rear bar on my 2018 Stingray with FE1 suspension. It seems just right to me in that the car is perfectly balanced at the limit during autocross and drives nicely on the street. I did also change the shocks to the Z51 (non-mag ride) shocks.
RacerRik, Based on your comments here on the Corvette Forum, I located a 31 MM rear bar from a GrandSport and installed it on my 2019 2LT Coupe with Base suspension. What a sweet difference already, and that's before I add the Z51 shocks. Thank you !
Old 04-02-2024, 09:28 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Happy to hear you like it. For the cost and amount of work involved to make this mod, it is a true bargain!

Old 04-03-2024, 05:00 PM
fuzzy03cls
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 149 Posts

I like the less harsh ride of the base suspension. Where I live I have no roads that can actually stretch the car. Everything is flat, & speed limits are low.
I semi DD the car. The ride is great for putting around.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:11 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

If you are happy with the base suspension, that is great. If you drive the car to its limits, the base suspension leaves a lot to be desired. Nothing wrong with either use or enjoyment of the Corvette!

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 sway bar kit for NON-Z51 w/Mag Ride

Quick Reply: Z51 sway bar kit for NON-Z51 w/Mag Ride