Driving without the key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 11:32 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Technically, not true. Two starts, OR one start, and one extension of the remote start. All you need to do is press On/start, and then off. The car does not actually have to be started, then shut down.

I agree that one of the worst things you can do is start the car for short periods of time for any reason. A battery tender is the car's friend, and cheap insurance if stored for any length of time.
I forgot about just cycling the ignition On
Old 11-05-2016, 01:13 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Remote start does shut off after 10 minutes. But that is not the same as starting it from inside the car and then taking off without the fob in the car. As others have said, it will continue to run until it is shut off deliberately or runs out of gas.
Someone could just hop in the car and have a nice joyride until they shut the car off or run out of gas.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:56 PM
lisanix74
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine running w/o key fob

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Remote start does shut off after 10 minutes. But that is not the same as starting it from inside the car and then taking off without the fob in the car. As others have said, it will continue to run until it is shut off deliberately or runs out of gas.
I think this answers my question but just to be safe, I'll give my scenario...

I will be traveling (moving) in a few weeks and driving for about 12 hrs. I will obviously have to make "pit stops" during that time but will have a cat and rabbit with me; therefore, since it is currently the peak of summer, I will not want to turn the car off as the pets would get overheated--even if it's only for a few minutes, I'd feel more comfortable leaving the a/c on. With that said, can I leave the car running, lock it with the fob and take it with me, and the car still run fine...then unlock it with the fob and get back in?

(I know this is an older post I'm re-opening, but I also know it is looked down upon to not search for a related post before posting a new one)

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Zaphod B
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
In that case you could die.

So learn your car, its foibles, and escape routes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ette/71053474/
Or RTFM and learn about the latch on the doorsill that opens your door if you have no battery power.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by lisanix74
I think this answers my question but just to be safe, I'll give my scenario...

I will be traveling (moving) in a few weeks and driving for about 12 hrs. I will obviously have to make "pit stops" during that time but will have a cat and rabbit with me; therefore, since it is currently the peak of summer, I will not want to turn the car off as the pets would get overheated--even if it's only for a few minutes, I'd feel more comfortable leaving the a/c on. With that said, can I leave the car running, lock it with the fob and take it with me, and the car still run fine...then unlock it with the fob and get back in?

(I know this is an older post I'm re-opening, but I also know it is looked down upon to not search for a related post before posting a new one)

Thanks!
Theoretically, anyone could break a window and drive off. No fob needed.

You would be better off shutting the car off, and remote starting it as you walk away. No one could take off with the car w/o a valid fob this way.
The following users liked this post:
lisanix74 (08-17-2017)
Old 01-30-2021, 04:01 PM
Runflatred
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xwing
If you start the car with the fob in your pocket and they walk away, the car will stay running. Are there any constraints on this? Can someone else just jump in the car and drive until it runs out of gas? Or are there any timing or distance requirements which will cut off the ignition?
I started my 19 Grand Sport in the garage so it could warm up the garage so I wouldn’t damage the tires when I moved it. It was 32 degrees in the garage. ( My snowblower was behind the car and I had to pull out the car to get to the snowblower ) anyway I went back into the house with the fob. I wanted to let the car run for 15 minutes. When I went back out the car wasn’t running. Don’t know how low long it ran but was less than 15 minutes.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:11 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Remote start will run for~10 minutes, with two starts total before an in-car start required.

In-car start has no time limit, AFAIK.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:08 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Okay another 5 year old thread, probably has it all figured out by now.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:57 PM
Runflatred
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn’t do a remote start. I started it in the car but it still shut down before 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Driving without the key fob