Sponsored by:

Driving without the key fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 04:11 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Default Driving without the key fob

If you start the car with the fob in your pocket and they walk away, the car will stay running. Are there any constraints on this? Can someone else just jump in the car and drive until it runs out of gas? Or are there any timing or distance requirements which will cut off the ignition?
Old 11-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

From what I understand, yes, they can drive away. As long as they do not shut the car down it will run. Once the car is turned off it will not start again as the key is not present.

I have not tested this myself. Would be interesting to know for sure.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:21 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Interesting question. Someone, not me, should conduct an experiment and see how far you can drive the car without a fob.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, it will run until the engine is shutdown or it runs out of gas.

A few years back when I took delivery of my C6 Z06, I had dinner right after w/ friends in downtown DC. After dinner, one of my friends wanted to see the car and started it to hear the exhaust note. After he got out of the car, he stuck the fob in his pocket w/o me noticing. I was 30 miles away before I realized I didn't have the fob and that he probably did. Fortunately, I had the spare fob at home.

I was later told it was designed that way on purpose as a safety issue. You wouldn't want someone tossing a fob out the window and having your car shut down on you.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-03-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:43 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Heh, while the passenger-tossing-the-fob-out-the-window is certainly a possibility, I think a more likely scenario is that the fob battery dies, or that it loses connection since it's in the gym bag in the very back, or something along those lines.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by joemosfet
Heh, while the passenger-tossing-the-fob-out-the-window is certainly a possibility, I think a more likely scenario is that the fob battery dies, or that it loses connection since it's in the gym bag in the very back, or something along those lines.
In that case you could die.

So learn your car, its foibles, and escape routes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ette/71053474/
Old 11-03-2016, 05:15 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have tested mine from what I read in the manual with a remote start. I confirm the motor will shut down after 10 minutes. Doors will lock if not locked at the time of the shutdown. I guess the key here, no pun intended, is that the doors are locked if a remote start is implemented.

Last edited by joemessman; 11-03-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
I have tested mine from what I read in the manual with a remote start. I confirm the motor will shut down after 10 minutes. Doors will lock if not locked at the time of the shutdown. I guess the key here, no pun intended, is that the doors are locked if a remote start is implemented.

Remote start does shut off after 10 minutes. But that is not the same as starting it from inside the car and then taking off without the fob in the car. As others have said, it will continue to run until it is shut off deliberately or runs out of gas.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 05:20 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

I assume you can lock the car while it's running from the remote? Or does it prevent this action? (I guess I should try. )
Old 11-03-2016, 09:00 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Remote start does shut off after 10 minutes. But that is not the same as starting it from inside the car and then taking off without the fob in the car. As others have said, it will continue to run until it is shut off deliberately or runs out of gas.
Ok, a couple things to clarify, the car will give a DIC message if it notices a fob is no longer present, but will keep running until shut down. It will give one chance to restart w/o a fob with a message "No fob, off or run". You can then press the start button with your either the clutch (M), or the brake (A) depressed to restart, or w/o either pedal depressed to shut off. If you do neither, then after a time, the car will start the shut down process, including auto lock if set to do so.

Originally Posted by Hoonose
In that case you could die.

So learn your car, its foibles, and escape routes.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...ette/71053474/
Whether you have a recognized fob or not makes no difference when normally exiting the car. The one difference is perhaps if the fob is no longer present, and you either tell the car not to restart, or you wait, and the car starts the auto lock process. It is certainly possible to lock yourself in the car with a valid fob with a good battery and a good car battery, so knowing about the floor levers is something every C6 or C7 owner should know.

Last edited by owc6; 11-03-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:21 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Ok, a couple things to clarify, the car will give a DIC message if it notices a fob is no longer present, but will keep running until shut down. It will give one chance to restart w/o a fob with a message "No fob, off or run". You can then press the start button with your either the clutch (M), or the brake (A) depressed to restart, or w/o either pedal depressed to shut off. If you do neither, then after a time, the car will start the shut down process, including auto lock if set to do so.

Whether you have a recognized fob or not makes no difference when normally exiting the car. The one difference is perhaps if the fob is no longer present, and you either tell the car not to restart, or you wait, and the car starts the auto lock process. It is certainly possible to lock yourself in the car with a valid fob with a good battery and a good car battery, so knowing about the floor levers is something every C6 or C7 owner should know.
And the roof comes off.
murtro (08-17-2017)
Old 11-04-2016, 12:34 AM
nhisfan
Burning Brakes

Received 197 Likes on 88 Posts

I actually discussed this subject with one of the engineers at Carlisle.
I was curious what would happen if say you were carjacked.

He told me about the time they washed his 'company car' and when he went to pick it up,
they brought it around and he just jumped in and drove off.
He didn't think about it until he got home and realized he didn't have the FOB!
So, he went over 20 miles without the FOB...

So, basically, once the car is started, it will run until it's shut off (or runs out of gas!).

geo
Old 11-04-2016, 12:38 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yep, as I said above I lived the same experience you described above, and drove 30 miles home before I realized my friend had pocketed the fob.

Yet, in true CF tradition, some people want to argue incorrectly, that the car will just die. It won't.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

Originally Posted by nhisfan
I actually discussed this subject with one of the engineers at Carlisle.
I was curious what would happen if say you were carjacked.....

So, basically, once the car is started, it will run until it's shut off (or runs out of gas!).

geo
In addition, as owc6 said above, quoting:

"It will (also) give one chance to restart w/o a fob with a message "No fob, off or run". You can then press the start button with your either the clutch (M), or the brake (A) depressed to restart, or w/o either pedal depressed to shut off. If you do neither, then after a time, the car will start the shut down process, including auto lock if set to do so."

That allows you to get the car back to where you started to get a key!!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-04-2016 at 01:30 AM.
owc6 (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 04:12 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, as I said above I lived the same experience you described above, and drove 30 miles home before I realized my friend had pocketed the fob.

Yet, in true CF tradition, some people want to argue incorrectly, that the car will just die. It won't.

I agree I had a similar incident, car will continue to run.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:37 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by nhisfan
Unlike my daughter's Nissan 370Z, the vette can be fueled with the motor running. Soooooo, you could drive for a really really long time without the FOB. Just keep gassing it up and don't shut down.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:58 PM
TEXASRANGER
HOOK-EM HORNS

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 696 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I left my fob with a renter we have on the property this summer when we RVed to Yellowstone etc. for around 6 weeks.
I Instructed to just remote start once a week and forget about it as it would shut off after 10 min. She called all in a panic saying it wouldn't start about three weeks out. She had to get in the car and put the fob in the dash hole.
So I'm guessing after a couple remote starts it won't start anymore until it gets reset.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving without the key fob

Old 11-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Cars with remote start are limited to only 2 remote starts at a time.
After that, you need to start it normally, which resets the remote start cycle of only 2 starts at a time.
FYI, worst thing to do to the engine is start the car periodically for only 10 minutes with out eventually driving it.
Even if you let it idle until the engine reaches full operating temperature.
It takes at least 20 miles for all the moister in the engine oil and exhaust to evaporate.
It's best to leave it on a battery Tender or do not start it at all.

Last edited by Dif; 11-04-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
Cars with remote start are limited to only 2 remote starts at a time.
After that, you need to start it normally, which resets the remote start cycle of only 2 starts at a time.
FYI, worst thing to do to the engine is start the car periodically for only 10 minutes with out eventually driving it.
Even if you let it idle until the engine reaches full operating temperature.
It takes at least 20 miles for all the moister in the engine oil and exhaust to evaporate.
It's best to leave it on a battery Tender or do not start it at all.
Technically, not true. Two starts, OR one start, and one extension of the remote start. All you need to do is press On/start, and then off. The car does not actually have to be started, then shut down.

I agree that one of the worst things you can do is start the car for short periods of time for any reason. A battery tender is the car's friend, and cheap insurance if stored for any length of time.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:36 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

owc6, it sounds like you speak from experience

Quick Reply: Driving without the key fob