Sponsored by:

Any tips for installing Borla x-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 08:13 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Any tips for installing Borla x-pipe

I will be installing my borla x-pipe this weekend. Doesn't appear to be too hard to install but does anyone Have any tips that could assist in the install? I purchased a low profile jack and installed jacking pucks purchased from ZL1 Addons today.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:33 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Not Borla, but the same installation process:

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
KratosBear (11-04-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 02:50 AM
JoeHat
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Borla fit like crap, the rt side fwd pipe would not line up with the exhaust manifold. Off about a 1/4 " . I had to use a pry bar and remove the studs from the stock mid pipe and draw it in. I did it on four ramps. Maybe I got a bad one, l haven't heard of others with fit net issues, good luck.
KratosBear (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 02:52 AM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by KratosBear
I will be installing my borla x-pipe this weekend. Doesn't appear to be too hard to install but does anyone Have any tips that could assist in the install? I purchased a low profile jack and installed jacking pucks purchased from ZL1 Addons today.
Two things I found that you'll need to watch out for:

On mine, where the oem x-pipe connects to the rear axle-back pipes, even after completely loosening the large pipe clamps, I couldn't get the pipe sections to come apart. Turns out the factory had put a small tack weld right there on top of the pipe fitting, so the clamp was welded to the pipe! I had to destroy the clamp to break that welding bead free. After that the pipes slid apart easily.

When re-tightening all the nuts and bolts at the front end, leave the rear clamps loose until you make sure that the donut gasket rings up front are positioned correctly and the front sets of bolts have been tightened and the donut rings have stayed in position. You have to do those front bolts a little at a time on each pipe, or things can get out of whack. Its very easy to have the donuts slide out of position while you are tightening. Secure the rear clamps last.

JV

Last edited by Jet Vet; 11-05-2016 at 02:53 AM.
KratosBear (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:47 AM
halt00
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

When it looks like the pipes won't line up with the front cats/header, put a little muscle into it - not on the cats/headers but on the x-pipe and the muffler. Mine appeared to be off my over an inch on one side while fitting on the other, wiggle, push and pull and you'll get it. Otherwise, a breeze.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:33 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

I took mine to a muffler shop, that way if any pipes need massaged or opened up, they have the tools to do so. Cheap to take there and was one right, make sure pipes are seated all the way
Old 11-05-2016, 12:50 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Look for this: When I installed mine I was having a difficult time at first. I determined the Xpipe was a little out of "round" on one of the ends and had to shape it back to a perfect round. I don't know if it happened in shipping or what, but check for "roundness" first before you start. Other than that for a guy who has issues screwing in light bulbs it is a piece of cake.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:21 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Thanks for the tips everyone... However, mission failed. I was able to remove the original x pipe but could not install the borla pipe. I made an appointment for Thursday to have the borla pipe installed at the muffler shop down the street. It will be a LOUD ride there with no x pipe!
Old 11-05-2016, 06:34 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the tips everyone... However, mission failed. I was able to remove the original x pipe but could not install the borla pipe. I made an appointment for Thursday to have the borla pipe installed at the muffler shop down the street. It will be a LOUD ride there with no x pipe!
Be sure they don't try to weld anything. This is a weldless install. The first question should be. "You aren't going to have to weld anything are you?" If they say they are, make u turn and go someplace else that knows what they are doing.
ArmchairArchitect (02-01-2021)
Old 11-05-2016, 06:50 PM
KratosBear
Pro

10-4. They said they will tack weld the clamp to the x pipe. That should be fine as the oem was tack welded. You agree?
Old 11-05-2016, 07:31 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,424 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Sorry to hear of your install problem Kratosbear. My installation was relatively easy using race ramps. Did you loosen the clamps on the rear tail pipes and mufflers? Spraying a little WD40 at the clamp joints will help in rotating/twisting the pipes to give you enough to room to slide on the Borla X.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:10 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Originally Posted by sTz
Sorry to hear of your install problem Kratosbear. My installation was relatively easy using race ramps. Did you loosen the clamps on the rear tail pipes and mufflers? Spraying a little WD40 at the clamp joints will help in rotating/twisting the pipes to give you enough to room to slide on the Borla X.
Thanks... I was not able to get the x pipe onto the tail pipe. I tried to widen the flanges and used soap but still no go. I used my jack stands so I didn't want to go crazy under the car. The muffler shop charges 90.00 an hour and considering I have everything apart, it should take them less than an hour. Disappointing I didn't complete but oh well....
Old 11-05-2016, 08:34 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

10-4. They said they will tack weld the clamp to the x pipe. That should be fine as the oem was tack welded. You agree?
I'm afraid I don't agree. I have talked to a number of experts that gave me the advise of no welds period. I'm not an expert by any means. I was researching this and at first was considering a muffler shop to install it. I decided I could do it myself, which I did, and I did not have to weld anything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by joemessman; 11-05-2016 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 08:39 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Originally Posted by joemessman
I'm afraid I don't agree. I have talked to a number of experts that gave me the advise of no welds period. I'm not an expert by any means. I was researching this and at first was considering a muffler shop to install it. I decided I could do it myself, which I did, and I did not have to weld anything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Interesting that no tack weldswelds on the clamp? I will research more. I suppose I can be adamant about them not doing any tack welds. I really wish I was able to install.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:21 PM
sycraft
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

no welds needed, my exhaust shop used a pipe spreader to open the pipe a little, slipped right on
joemessman (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:37 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

If you spread the rear pipe openings on the borla, (Very easy if you have a 2 1/2 to 3 inch reducer pipe). Just hammer in the reducer pipe with a block of wood and it spreads the rear pipes and the unit just slides on with a little WD 40 to make it even easier.. piece of cake, 1 hr job on jack stands. And absolutely no welding required.

Last edited by BJ67; 11-05-2016 at 10:39 PM.
KratosBear (11-06-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 10:39 PM
KratosBear
Pro

Originally Posted by sycraft
no welds needed, my exhaust shop used a pipe spreader to open the pipe a little, slipped right on
Excellent....maybe I will look into a pipe spreader....

Get notified of new replies

To Any tips for installing Borla x-pipe

Old 11-05-2016, 11:00 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Why exactly do these experts say no welds? That's normally the preferred method over clamps...it just costs more.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:44 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by falconhulk
Why exactly do these experts say no welds? That's normally the preferred method over clamps...it just costs more.
If I remember correctly, it is because it is not designed to be welded to your existing car setup. And if you read the directions that come with the pipe it says nothing about welding. And if you want to replace the pipe back to original or change setup you may have some torch cutting, etc. to do. Not good to weld if unnecessary.
Here is a link to one of the most respected experts.
http://www.wongsperformance.com/index.html
Here is the text of an email he sent me:
On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:03 AM, T Wong <tjwong007@gmail.com> wrote:
Joe its about a 2 hour job, I wouldn't be able to get to it until late September at this point. Your best bet is a local exhaust shop. Its a fairly easy bolt in job. Do not let them weld it! A lot of exhaust shops love welding systems in. Do not let them do it, make them follow Borlas instructions!
KratosBear (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 12:33 PM
KratosBear
Pro

If I remember correctly, it is because it is not designed to be welded to your existing car setup. And if you read the directions that come with the pipe it says nothing about welding. And if you want to replace the pipe back to original or change setup you may have some torch cutting, etc. to do. Not good to weld if unnecessary.
Here is a link to one of the most respected experts.
http://www.wongsperformance.com/index.html
Here is the text of an email he sent me:
On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 9:03 AM, T Wong <tjwong007@gmail.com> wrote:
Joe its about a 2 hour job, I wouldn't be able to get to it until late September at this point. Your best bet is a local exhaust shop. Its a fairly easy bolt in job. Do not let them weld it! A lot of exhaust shops love welding systems in. Do not let them do it, make them follow Borlas instructions!
Went to a muffler shop this morning to finish the install. Took them 20 to 30 miminutes to complete. But I had the oem already removed. The right side facing the car needed to be widened at the tail pipe and then slipped right on. There was some tugging and prying to have everything lined up properly but all went well.

Definite could not have finished myself while on jacket stands as I was already nervous being under the car!

End result with the borla x pipe sound... a little increase in sound.. what I do it again.... no. But, another project down!

Quick Reply: Any tips for installing Borla x-pipe