- cars are more modern & $$$$

both are lots of fun to participate in
I prefer doing the HPDE, but prefer to watch Drag racing
Old 11-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Kamran
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

"Flame suit" on mode;

Drag racing is like premature ejaculation! Takes lots of preparation, but last less than 10 seconds!

Track racing/HDPE: lots of foreplay! Until you're completey worn out and exhausted!

Last edited by Kamran; 11-05-2016 at 01:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kamran:
CJ Willys (08-17-2019), rogergcam (11-06-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

You forgot:
Minimal skill required to go fast.
Plenty of skill to go fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by Woodson:
shayan55 (08-21-2019), vettman96 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 01:24 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Drag racing has always been more of a 'everyman' sport, anyone can just drive in and race. There are helmet specs and many car 'rules' that local tracks do not enforce on 'street' nights to get people in the door. Pretty much long pants, DOT helmet, all your lug nuts and no leaks and you are good to go 11.50 ET or slower at most local tracks. Once you decide to go and race at real events then the cost factor goes way up with mandated safety parts for the car, inspections, licensing and driver safety gear.

As far as instruction drag racing is pretty self explanatory, no real need as most can just learn by watching for a few minutes. Most people have already done 100s of stoplight drags daily driving Road racing you have curves after long straights that can get many people in trouble, plus many expensive cars all around you. Drag racing is limited to two cars going in a straight line for a 15 seconds or less with guard rails/walls on each side - not a huge risk factor compared to a track with many curves and many cars lasting for several minutes.

I'm the opposite, I'd rather participate in drag racing and watch road racing. To each his/her own, I have fun doing either. Be happy you have a choice, with all the noise restrictions and high insurance its amazing there are still many road tracks and dragstrips for the little guys to play on.
The following 4 users liked this post by kp:
dvilin (11-05-2016), JerryU (11-06-2016), jimmbbo (08-16-2019), joemessman (11-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 01:45 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Kamran
"Flame suit" on mode; Drag racing is like premature ejaculation! Takes lots of preparation, but last less than 10 seconds! Track racing/HDPE: lots of foreplay! Until you're completey worn out and exhausted!

Funny.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:48 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

The only track HPDE that ever allowed me to wear shorts was, ironically, Spring Mountain Corvette Performance Driving School, probably because of the heat. Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges has always been long pants.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:01 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

There was a lot of trash-talking and posturing at the drag street near me. I didn't like the atmosphere at all.

The road racing/HPDE crowd is much more collegial and friendly.
The following users liked this post:
jbretthorton (08-16-2019)
Old 11-05-2016, 04:25 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamran
"Flame suit" on mode;

Drag racing is like premature ejaculation! Takes lots of preparation, but last less than 10 seconds!

Track racing/HDPE: lots of foreplay! Until you're completey worn out and exhausted!

Originally Posted by Woodson
You forgot:
Minimal skill required to go fast.
Plenty of skill to go fast.
+1

Drag Racing just doesn't excite me. Love track time and HPDEs though. Back when I ran a 328i, I could beat some folks running M3s and even an M6 on one occasion simply because skill played a huge part. On a drag strip, that skill quotient goes away and the majority of the result is down to the car.

​​​​​On a different note, I have a coworker with a Tesla S 90D that is always willing to drag race but really doesn't want to go to the track haha.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:29 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
There was a lot of trash-talking and posturing at the drag street near me. I didn't like the atmosphere at all.

The road racing/HPDE crowd is much more collegial and friendly.
I've had no experience with drag racing, but at the track days I do photography at, everyone is very friendly and I feel like they are much more open to talking about their cars.

Last edited by four0nefive; 11-05-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 04:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I've done/do both and enjoy both. Worth doing each one and then pick which one (or both) you like to do. The choice isn't necessarily mutually exclusive. I know a lot of guys who do both and enjoy it - along with high speed 1/2 mile and standing mile events.

Just different slices of the hobby.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:22 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by graj6
+1

Drag Racing just doesn't excite me. Love track time and HPDEs though. Back when I ran a 328i, I could beat some folks running M3s and even an M6 on one occasion simply because skill played a huge part. On a drag strip, that skill quotient goes away and the majority of the result is down to the car.

​​​​​On a different note, I have a coworker with a Tesla S 90D that is always willing to drag race but really doesn't want to go to the track haha.
He or she simply can't. Tesla S cars overheat in the very first lap, and get to the limp mode. Motor Trend kept trying on different Tesla S models to get a lap time on record, but so far, they have not been successful.

I did drag racing, but not with a rear wheel drive car. I used my Subaru STi back in the day, and it was a blast. Before I made the blunder of switching to a very light flywheel, I was able to rocket from the starting line like no other. I just hate the idea of having to do burnouts with RWD cars for good results. An mind you, if you don't do the burnout, people 'judge' you with their eyes

I never tried drag race again since I sold the STi about 8 years ago. Drag race is also very hard on the driveline, and turns me off on every trying it again.

I'm pretty happy with HPDEs, especially when they are in open track format.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:21 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I watched Arfons and Garlits when I was a kid... got all the drag racing out of me. Now, track racing? I'm still hooked....
Old 11-05-2016, 08:51 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I've done both, I like them both.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:12 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
I watched Arfons and Garlits when I was a kid... got all the drag racing out of me. Now, track racing? I'm still hooked....
Arfons brought his jet car to my tiny little local track in Ohio around 1969 when I was a kid. I was a big road racing fan because of a Revell slot car set I got for Christmas a few years earlier, but there was no way I was going to miss a jet car.

I'm not sure if that was the exact same car, but it looked kind of like that. It was much cooler, though, because I saw it at night. It was an awesome spectacle.

There was also a Allison V12-powered, 4WD Thunderbird funny car called Allison Thunderland. Wasn't very fast but reduced rubber to dust in no time.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
The only track HPDE that ever allowed me to wear shorts was, ironically, Spring Mountain Corvette Performance Driving School, probably because of the heat. Mid-Ohio and Nelson Ledges has always been long pants.
I have driven Watkins Glen, Pocono, Sebring, Carolina Motorsports Park and VIR and none of them permit short pants. I really wouldn't want to run short pants, better to have something between your skin and flames than not.

Bill
nmerhaut (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 01:11 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Arfons brought his jet car to my tiny little local track in Ohio around 1969 when I was a kid. I was a big road racing fan because of a Revell slot car set I got for Christmas a few years earlier, but there was no way I was going to miss a jet car.

I'm not sure if that was the exact same car, but it looked kind of like that. It was much cooler, though, because I saw it at night. It was an awesome spectacle.

There was also a Allison V12-powered, 4WD Thunderbird funny car called Allison Thunderland. Wasn't very fast but reduced rubber to dust in no time.
Before he had the jet car he had an Allison Powered car that looked somewhat like the jet car. In the late 50s he came to the drag strip near where I used to live to run the car. The shut down area included a steep hill that gained around 100 ft. His chute failed and he went off the end of the track into some trees.

Bill
Old 11-06-2016, 06:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
Drag racing has always been more of a 'everyman' sport, anyone can just drive in and race. There are helmet specs and many car 'rules' that local tracks do not enforce on 'street' nights to get people in the door. ....

As far as instruction drag racing is pretty self explanatory, no real need as most can just learn by watching for a few minutes. Most people have already done 100s of stoplight drags daily driving

I'm the opposite, I'd rather participate in drag racing and watch road racing. To each his/her own, I have fun doing either. Be happy you have a choice, with all the noise restrictions and high insurance its amazing there are still many road tracks and dragstrips for the little guys to play on.
As you note local tracks do not always follows the rules. NHRA has very strick rules, re helmets, at what achieved speeds/times below which you need a roll cage, how it is the be constructed etc. Dragsters going 300+ mph in under 4 seconds are very safe.

I love to watch both types of professional racing but being at the Charlotte Motor Speedway watching 4 AA/Fuel Dragsters and Funny Cars side by side and "Feeling". 40,000+ hp is unbelievable. Watching 2 C7's even Z06's side by side on a 'bring what you have' Wednesday night at the local drag strip, not very impressive.

Now those cows that watch me hit redline in 3rd gear on an empty rural farm road ARE probably impressed!!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-06-2016 at 06:56 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Drag vs track racing

Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

The following 5 users liked this post by Z06 1of38:
4thC4at60 (11-06-2016), jimmbbo (08-16-2019), NewZ06Man (11-06-2016), Stingray 35 (08-16-2019), vettman96 (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,923 Likes on 4,809 Posts

I have done them both and if I had to pick one it would be drag racing. Just sitting there staged anticipating the Christmas tree light, launching it, grabbing the gears, foot to the floor makes for one hell of a 12 second rush.
Make a mistake and you are pretty much done which adds to the excitement.
Participants are different than what you find at most road racing events. A bit of trash talk, some side bets, but always willing to help you out if they can.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
I have done them both and if I had to pick one it would be drag racing. Just sitting there staged anticipating the Christmas tree light, launching it, grabbing the gears, foot to the floor makes for one hell of a 12 second rush.
Make a mistake and you are pretty much done which adds to the excitement.
Participants are different than what you find at most road racing events. A bit of trash talk, some side bets, but always willing to help you out if they can.
Woodson (08-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Drag vs track racing