Sponsored by:

Esco jack stands?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:52 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Esco jack stands?

Looking to buy four jack stands, and found these while searching through the internet. They get good reviews, and I like the rubber tops.
I'm wondering if anyone has them, and how they like them, compared to other they might have used.

They make two sizes (13-21 inches), and a shorty ( 11-17 inches).
My floor jack will raise to 20".

Any input, or reason, from you fellows that do a lot of your own maintenance, to get one over the other would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.reverselogic.us/jack-stands.html
Old 11-06-2016, 06:11 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
Looking to buy four jack stands, and found these while searching through the internet. They get good reviews, and I like the rubber tops.
I'm wondering if anyone has them, and how they like them, compared to other they might have used.

Any input, or reason, from you fellows that do a lot of your own maintenance, to get one over the other would be greatly appreciated.

I bought four of the ESCO 10498 units primarily because they offer the greatest maximum lift out of the ones that ESCO offers. I used them when I installed my headers and they worked really well. I really like the flat pad support top over the V style tops that many jack stands offer, because the flat pad with it's rubber cushion will prevent the stand from gouging into the part of the car that is resting on it. I am super happy with these and am glad that I bought them. They are much nicer than my clunky old craftsman jack stands.
The following users liked this post:
L8ter (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:11 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter

Reverse Logic sells great products. Those look very good. Depending what you plan to do just a thought, I would get the ones that collapse to 11 inches. If your jacking from only one side and want to use two stands, no need to lift higher than necessary on the first side. Also, if just changing one tire or doing a brake job on one wheel, that will be enough height.

They also make a cleaver jacking pad. When going to a dealer or tire shop you can bolt their pad to the Vette tempoarially. I always have to go through a speech to the service scheduler to ask that mechcanics use my aluminum jack pads I put in a clear plastic bag on the passenger seat. Will they all and always do as I ask, who knows?! With the Reverse Logic pads I would have no question and not worry that my rocker panels would be cracked! They are not meant to stay attached but fine for a short trip for service.

Another thought. I would not work under a car supported with 4 jack stands. Note the warning on a pair on mine in pic below. When I change oil, to get the car level, I made a pair of wooden stantions from a 2X6 and some plywood.

Made 6 Inch High Wood Stanchions To Use When Needing The Whole Car Raised

Note, the warning label on two of my jack stands says to use only one end of the car! When changing oil to get the car level I use homemade stanchions under the rear tires. The last warning on that label, although written by a lawyer, says not following these warnings can lead to death! Unfortunately it does happen, be safe.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-06-2016 at 06:31 AM.
L8ter (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

L8ter (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 908 Likes on 606 Posts

I agree with Jerry, when I installed my headers I used a combination of race ramps, wood blocks, jack stands, and two floor jacks...Here's a photo prior to me sliding the ESCOs under the rear of the car. You can barely see them under the front of the car, but they are up there too...

The following 2 users liked this post by lakemg:
JerryU (11-06-2016), L8ter (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 11:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
I agree with Jerry, when I installed my headers I used a combination of race ramps, wood blocks, jack stands, and two floor jacks...Here's a photo prior to me sliding the ESCOs under the rear of the car. You can barely see them under the front of the car, but they are up there too...

On my first oil change I could not remove the side oil plug from the pan with my 3/8 inch wrench. Used my 1/2 inch breaker bar and it let loose with a snap! Appeared to have blue Loctite on the threads. Would not have wanted to use that much force with the car on 4 jack stands.

Started working on cars at a very early age with my dad. We would place the jacked-up car frame (all cars in the day had frames) on cement blocks (our jack stands.) Then pop would make me hit the car width my shoulder. As he said, "if it's going to fall, better now then when you're under it replacing a muffler etc." He had a friend die when a car fell on him!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-06-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:34 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the feed back gents!
And I do appreciate the safety heads-up.
I have plenty of 2 x 12 x 4' pieces left over from building my shop/barn. I think they will make quite hefty supports for working under the car. Although after I put them together it will take my tractor to move all four at once.
Better safe than squashed!

Last edited by L8ter; 11-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.
JerryU (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 12:43 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Got the taller ones from Fred at Reverse Logic while on sale (gold tone stem the last in photo to the right. 10498). Work great!! Perfectly fit the jacking points.

Hey Fred, if you are reading this, suggest you make some replacement rubber tops that are twice as thick, or a little more for that extra protection and thickness to keep the jack at a greater distance away from the rockers. Just an idea. Almost like having a half-sized jacking pad seated to the jack itself. The stock pad is nice but a tad too thin.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 11-06-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I really like these:

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com

They just have them priced too high. I would pick these up in a heartbeat at a lower price, just something else for you to look at.
L8ter (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 01:39 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

That was fun to watch, and a neat new invention, but I think I'll be looking at a four point lift before I spend that kind of money on jackstands.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, that's what stopped me too. It is a really clever invention though.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:56 PM
Ayao
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the ESCOs for several years now and am very satisfied with them.
I came across this thread, and if the prices are real, are unbeatable: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311312
(I have no affiliation and due diligence would have to be followed regarding the seller.)
When I was researching jackstands I found this comparison which lead me to choose the ESCOs: http://revlimiter.net/blog/2010/07/mega-jack-stand-review-1/
Hope this is helpful.

Get notified of new replies

To Esco jack stands?

Quick Reply: Esco jack stands?