Sponsored by:

C7 paddle shifting tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 871 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan
Probably well known, but here goes: if you hold the - lever in while downshifting, it will rev match and downshift to the lowest possible gear. Makes for some "interesting" deceleration (and sure got the attention of some pedestrians nearby).
Did this once by accident. I'm sure it didn't hurt anything, but not what I wanted to do. It downshifted into 1st and revved the engine way past what I like to hear.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:50 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

It will deny the shift if it's unacceptable, shouldn't be an issue, unless you just don't want to rev your engine anywhere close to redline.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
I've gotten used to knowing 90% of the time the up+ paddle is on the left when turning the wheel for a right turn, and visa versa for left turn.
I then just hit the up+ paddle even though it's on the opposite side with the wheel turned.
On another note, this is why I wish GM left the paddle operation like they were on the C6.
Could use either paddle to shift up or down when the wheel is turned.
Would be nice if the paddle operation was programmable for the C7
Besides my C7 coupe, I also have an 06 Miata with the automatic and paddle shifters. Really love it! What it has (and I wish the C7 also incorporated) is the ability to use the actual shift lever on the console for up and down shifts. Much like using a true stick shift without the need for a clutch. It's spring loaded to a central position, and for each up shift I simply give a quick rearward flip or bump of the wrist, and to downshift do the same in a forward motion. I seldom actually use the paddles on the steering wheel. Just seems more natural to me; one hand on the wheel and the other resting at the base of the shifter. Also much quicker than I could ever shift using a clutch.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:14 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
Besides my C7 coupe, I also have an 06 Miata with the automatic and paddle shifters. Really love it! What it has (and I wish the C7 also incorporated) is the ability to use the actual shift lever on the console for up and down shifts. Much like using a true stick shift without the need for a clutch. It's spring loaded to a central position, and for each up shift I simply give a quick rearward flip or bump of the wrist, and to downshift do the same in a forward motion. I seldom actually use the paddles on the steering wheel. Just seems more natural to me; one hand on the wheel and the other resting at the base of the shifter. Also much quicker than I could ever shift using a clutch.
Most modern super cars just have a dial to change the automatic transmission from manual (paddle shift) to full automatic mode. No shifter on the console. The 458 Ferrari I dove in Vegas was like that.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:42 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i get no "burble" or pop when using the paddles.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by T_B
You're either not in Sport mode or you're not shifting at high enough rpm 😜 Crank it up and you'll be snap, crackling and popping all over the place! 😎

JV
Old 11-23-2016, 02:55 PM
T_B
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jet Vet
You're either not in Sport mode or you're not shifting at high enough rpm 😜 Crank it up and you'll be snap, crackling and popping all over the place! 😎

JV
I drive only in Sport mode. My 16 Camaro would snap and crackle every time i took my foot off the gas pedal. I so want that sound back
Old 11-23-2016, 03:03 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by T_B
I drive only in Sport mode. My 16 Camaro would snap and crackle every time i took my foot off the gas pedal. I so want that sound back
You're only going to get anything significant on the upshifts at redline and on the downshifts above 5000 rpm or so, unless you get an aftermarket exhaust.

JV
The following users liked this post:
Lee Pike (10-16-2018)
Old 11-23-2016, 03:04 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B
The closest I can think of would be to just pull fuse 42 (C7 '15 and '16) and set the exhaust to Track. Then paddle shift to keep the AFM off-line (or add the Range AFM disabler). Not a bad way to go, and free to try! Like the aural feedback to remind me to shift too.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:33 PM
T_B
Instructor

Already have the fuse pulled. Maybe the Camaro having stock tri-Y headers has something to do with this? Or maybe a muffler delete will give me those sounds?

I haven't noticed any difference between track and sport as far as exhaust goes.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:46 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by L8ter
Meraki, no not at all. Manual is the preferred mode to use on the track, to keep from overheating the transmission. Use M mode all you want.

Back to topic:
When downshifting using the paddle shifters while in Drive, the transmission goes back to auto after about 5-6 seconds if your just cruising. If you start driving aggressively as you downshift, the tranny will stay in the gear you shifted to for a much longer period of time. For how long I'm not sure. It made for some interesting twisties when I found out about it.
....I get out of that gear by upshifting manually...
Old 11-23-2016, 03:49 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1leo
When at a stop and I'm not trying to impress anyone, I just shift to 2nd before I take off. Eliminates the quick 1-2 shift, especially on a corner turn. The C6 models automatically started in 2nd from start, and you had to downshift to 1st if you wanted to start in 1st. I wish they had this on the C7. I find 80% of the time, I start in 2nd.
Thanks--I will be sure to try this next Spring!
The following 2 users liked this post by JonMN:
felkebg (11-24-2016), Vetteram (09-06-2019)
Old 11-23-2016, 04:36 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 589 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff Vette
Did this once by accident. I'm sure it didn't hurt anything, but not what I wanted to do. It downshifted into 1st and revved the engine way past what I like to hear.
omg. Can't wait to do this 24/7 after I break 500 miles. I have no idea about that!

-Josh
Old 11-23-2016, 05:22 PM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Drove at Spring Mountain 100% of the time with paddle shifting, so now I drive the same at home now. Plus, v4 mode is OFF in the manual mode.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:44 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B
Do you have the NPP exhaust?
Old 11-23-2016, 05:47 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Vet

JV
Hmmm...I've had no problem getting the crackling in ECO even when my exhaust was stock (NPP). Now that I've added long tube headers, I get even more crackling even in ECO mode.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:59 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
we have that on our Mini Cooper and would be a nice addition to the A8

Get notified of new replies

To C7 paddle shifting tips and tricks

Old 11-23-2016, 10:13 PM
T_B
Instructor

Originally Posted by lakemg
Do you have the NPP exhaust?
Yes.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:31 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,150 Posts

the ability to use the actual shift lever on the console for up and down shifts.

Originally Posted by Dif
we have that on our Mini Cooper and would be a nice addition to the A8
As do all BMW's.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:57 AM
NewZ06Man
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

On the column for paddles is a better design, they are always in the same place regardless of wheel position, with the paddles located on the wheel and driving on a tight road course the paddles can easily get into positions making shifting difficult or even confusing, IMHO.

Coming from a SCT in my R8, which shifted quickly but not as fast as the DCT on my wife's Porsche, the paddle shifting on my Z06 is sluggish. The transmission in auto mode shifts really quickly and extremely well when you leave it alone.

TIP - If you want the car to hold shifts better and shift more agressively just tap the throttle to the floor for a instant (very quickly just tap it to the floor) and the A8 will enter Performance Shift Mode and the transmission will shift much more aggressively on it's own.
The following 3 users liked this post by NewZ06Man:
AdventurePoser (11-29-2016), blkvet6 (02-27-2017), felkebg (11-24-2016)

Quick Reply: C7 paddle shifting tips and tricks