Sponsored by:

Latest ZR1 photos ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:55 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Chevrolet needs to build an earth shattering, unprecedented car here.

Has to be uber-special, it's technology lasting a decade -- setting a standard for next several generation Cs and above all else, performance blowing away all but the most extreme marques at a fraction of their operating costs. Hellova goal.
Hmmmm, I thought that is exactly what the C8 is supposed to be!

Must be AWD if it's to get its power to the ground efficiently w/ record times.
I expect to see that when we get our first Corvette Hybrid.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJ
Funny!
Not a fan of wings either, but that one looks pretty cool. I'm thinking this may not be the ZR1 like everyone thinks but it may be a light weight version of the Z06 (Z06X ?). Kind of the equivalent of the Viper ACR. I wouldn't mind a lighter version. That thing would be a track killer.
I'm thinking this is exactly what's happening. I'm secretly hoping this is the answer to the ACR, 911 GT3RS, Ferrari XX lineup, and the like. Not that it'll beat them all, rather a legit lightweight, all out track day special that will knock down some records for the Chevy team.

I'm also predicting that the spied mid-engined car will be the next ZR1 (or whatever they decide to call it; Zora or otherwise) and not a C8. They will intro the ME platform for a final hoorah of the 7th generation, that way they can iron out the issues to tighten up the release of a ME C8 for the masses.

At least that's my predictions. We'll see.

Last edited by nvusgt; 11-30-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:05 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by sunsalem
What would be the point of that?
Certainly not an economic one...the Viper is a dead car.
After their financial crisis, GM is suppose to be all about making $$$, not measuring penises with a ghost.
Or any P-car, F-car or L-car likely to come down the pike for a couple years for a half or third the money. The prestige of getting to the top of the list on Grand Tour or the Norschleife is worth everything GM sinks into the ZR1.

Originally Posted by nvusgt
I'm thinking this is exactly what's happening. I'm secretly hoping this is the answer to the ACR, 911 GT3RS, Ferrari XX lineup, and the like. Not that it'll beat them all, rather a legit lightweight, all out track day special that will knock down some records for the Chevy team.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Good looks like the zl1
Old 11-30-2016, 09:57 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Hmmmm, I thought that is exactly what the C8 is supposed to be!

I expect to see that when we get our first Corvette Hybrid.
I'd rather a hybrid, front engine, rwd, manual Corvette than an AWD mid-engine Corvette.

Mega torque-fill and EV mode for getting out without pissing off the neighbors.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 PM
vara
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default looks pretty sweet!

I think it could be a ZR IMHO. The ZR has been out of the limelight for a while and it just seems to me like Chevy has the itch to get back in the ring with a game changer. Just a guess. I have no clue what it could be honestly, but I will probably trade in my current one for this one. I drove the Stingray at Spring Mountain last week and I absolutely love the ride. Now I think i will just wait to see what kind of power will be under the hood of this new beast.

And yes I know my car doesn't exactly coincide with this forum since it is a C6, but I am totally in love with the new C7 and now I am just waiting patiently for the possibility of a more powerful vette.

hooorah!
Old 12-01-2016, 12:32 AM
JMLS
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 12-01-2016, 02:01 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
I'd rather a hybrid, front engine, rwd, manual Corvette than an AWD mid-engine Corvette.

Mega torque-fill and EV mode for getting out without pissing off the neighbors.
If it is to be a hybrid, my choice would be a mid-engine feeding the rears and 2 electric motors powering the fronts via a KERS system.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:43 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Chevrolet needs to build an earth shattering, unprecedented car here.
This isn't the time to throw mere HP at a buffed-up C7, Z06 or otherwise.
Has to be uber-special, it's technology lasting a decade -- setting a standard for next several generation Cs and above all else, performance blowing away all but the most extreme marques at a fraction of their operating costs. Hellova goal.

Must be AWD if it's to get its power to the ground efficiently w/ record times.
Must have all the jazz people seem to want, and get, w/ exotics starting w/ a high quality interior/materials.
Front engine Corvettes remain through C7 run.

A new generation C8 may offer AWD standard, and GM would've had more than enough time to workout whatever bugs it might have.
This ZR1 would be a one-off for now, a stand-alone halo car representing the very best engineering GM has to offer.
Right car w/could generate a billion $s in positive press, and the buggers wouldn't be lying for a change.
Never going to happen.

AWD does not package in the Y-Body. It never has and it never will. If Corvette EVER goes AWD it will have to have a new platform (BTW, the same can be said for RHD, the platform is NOT ambidextrous, it's LHD only). It's about making money at some point and the cost of either AWD or RHD in this car doesn't make sense (and yes I bring up RHD because it's actually easier to implement than AWD, that's how not ready the platform is for AWD).
Old 12-01-2016, 06:45 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt

I'm also predicting that the spied mid-engined car will be the next ZR1 (or whatever they decide to call it; Zora or otherwise) and not a C8. They will intro the ME platform for a final hoorah of the 7th generation, that way they can iron out the issues to tighten up the release of a ME C8 for the masses.

At least that's my predictions. We'll see.
Regular Corvettes will not be Mid-Engine, basically that change is in the "Not ever going to happen" or "Won't happen for a long time" category.

The Mid-Engine car is a whole other beast versus the Y-Body Corvette. Same team, might even share components, but it's really another car entirely.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
Ultimate solution for everyone would be a variable geometry spoiler that can be tuned to Drive Mode and Vehicle Speed to meet the criteria required at all times.

Yes it adds weight but Porsche does it and so does MB. Since it's a ZR1, money is no object.
you beat me to it , never understood why not.
The one on the mclaren is excellent.
Maybe the Zora would be better suited for that type though. Not sure.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Never going to happen.

AWD does not package in the Y-Body. It never has and it never will. If Corvette EVER goes AWD it will have to have a new platform...
Yea, sure would.

Thanks for some insights, was only dreaming.

Last edited by Landru; 12-01-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I like the hood, could live without the wing.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I could live without the wing.
Not at a buck forty in the climbing esses at VIR.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcsperson:
Movie Muscle (12-12-2016), Woodson (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 PM
JMLS
Instructor

If it is to be a hybrid, my choice would be a mid-engine feeding the rears and 2 electric motors powering the fronts via a KERS system.
I was thinking they were testing KERS in the first couple of spy photos of the mid engine car due to those funky looking "rotors" on the front wheels. As cool as that would be, I think it would end up just being another part for GM to either design wrong or manufacture poorly. Plus you would then need to break hard to get any use out of it which would be good for track, not so much for street
Old 12-01-2016, 08:37 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by JMLS
I was thinking they were testing KERS in the first couple of spy photos of the mid engine car due to those funky looking "rotors" on the front wheels. Plus you would then need to break hard to get any use out of it which would be good for track, not so much for street.
Which would be the point if you were trying to build an all-out Ferrari beater. I never understood the point of buying a supreme track machine and driving it to cruise-ins at 35 mph.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:21 PM
JMLS
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Which would be the point if you were trying to build an all-out Ferrari beater. I never understood the point of buying a supreme track machine and driving it to cruise-ins at 35 mph.
I never understood why people think the only thing a street car is meant for is the track. You know people do sell street-illegal racecars right?

Ferrari and Lambo owners must drive exclusively at the track though. You never see them on the street. EVER. They should also dump the AC, speakers, gut the interior and just give you an engine, frame/body, brakes and seats.

Get notified of new replies

To Latest ZR1 photos ...

Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I never understood why people think the only thing a street car is meant for is the track. You know people do sell street-illegal racecars right?

Ferrari and Lambo owners must drive exclusively at the track though. You never see them on the street. EVER. They should also dump the AC, speakers, gut the interior and just give you an engine, frame/body, brakes and seats.
Sounds like an ACR.

Or a GT3 RS

Old 12-01-2016, 11:32 PM
JMLS
Instructor

^^^And both are just modified versions of a street car are they not? Yes, the intention is to have faster lap times but that is all done within the framework of "this is still a street car". Surely both of those companies could just straight up sell you a factory racecar that would destroy their production car but instead they give you something that doesn't blow your ears out, passes emissions and can cruise comfortably at 35mph

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 12-09-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:17 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

I was thinking they were testing KERS in the first couple of spy photos of the mid engine car due to those funky looking "rotors" on the front wheels. As cool as that would be, I think it would end up just being another part for GM to either design wrong or manufacture poorly. Plus you would then need to break hard to get any use out of it which would be good for track, not so much for street
KERS has been around for awhile....I would like to think GM can handle implementing a system.

For those not sure what a KERS system is:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kineti...ecovery_system

AMEN to that, brother.
It is downright ridiculous how such a very small possible function of a street-legal Sportscar is given such importance on this and other forums.
90% of cars NEVER get to a track.

Ferrari and Lambo owners must drive exclusively at the track though. You never see them on the street. EVER.
Depends on where one lives.

Surely both of those companies could just straight up sell you a factory racecar that would destroy their production car but instead they give you something that doesn't blow your ears out, passes emissions and can cruise comfortably at 35mph
If someone wants a REAL car for the track they can be had...they're called "racecars."
Taking a street legal Sportscar to a track and bragging about times is not impressive...taking a actual racecar to a track IS.

Quick Reply: Latest ZR1 photos ...