Sponsored by:

Scratched my new car

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 08:42 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by intensifi
Do you have a 2LT or 3LT? If so you have front view cameras. Pause a few feet out and hit the camera icon on the infotainment screen. Or put it into reverse and then back into a forward gear (or D). The front view cameras should show up on the screen. They are there for this very purpose. Well that and for the PDR.
do it all the time. and NO i learned this from my first Corvette that YOU NEED to be cautious when parking. this WILL NOT happen to my new Z06
Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM
DTcoltSAA
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratched my new car

Originally Posted by Davids65
I bought a Grand Sport 24 hours ago and managed to scratch the front air dam. I'm not sure it this is something the might be able to sand out to repair rather the replacing it. I somehow think this is going to happen a lot. I went to a Corvette club dinner I parked next to a Stingray I tried to pull up even with it only to realize that that car had for more clearance I hit the curb about two feet before I was even close to getting even with him. I never even look at the camera because I thought the other car would have been a benchmark for me. I guessing anyone here with a Grand Sport or Z06 have had this happen at least once!
I installed a Curb Alert by BrandMotion. It works great. Can set height and distance from curb.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:28 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Foosh
I'm sure the front camera is a nice extra, and they weren't available on '14s, but I've always learned where the front of my sports cars are and haven't hit one either.
I agree and that's why I installed the NavTool and added a camera to the front of my car. Works great and gives me a view of the front of my car and you can even hook your iPhone up to it and use the programs on the iPhone for Nav or music streaming.

Elmer
Old 12-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Millerrock
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Davids65
I bought a Grand Sport 24 hours ago and managed to scratch the front air dam. I'm not sure it this is something the might be able to sand out to repair rather the replacing it. I somehow think this is going to happen a lot. I went to a Corvette club dinner I parked next to a Stingray I tried to pull up even with it only to realize that that car had for more clearance I hit the curb about two feet before I was even close to getting even with him. I never even look at the camera because I thought the other car would have been a benchmark for me. I guessing anyone here with a Grand Sport or Z06 have had this happen at least once!
70bux and replace it
Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Gotta be very careful guys. These cars are low to begin with. With the splitter they are even lower. When I park I dont come close to the curb at all...Lesson learned I guess.

Good Luck!
Old 12-09-2016, 09:23 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I just got my car 7 days ago. I've already purchased the skid plate and will get the navtool unit (Will order it in the morning.) i have an appointment for 3m Pro series for the hood, fenders and front bumper tomorrow. I'm even going to have them do the door edges (vertical edges) with the clear edge guard.

This is the skid plate I ordered : http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-s...0-looking-new/

I paid enough for the car that i want to keep it looking just the way it is now.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:27 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC
Default Safety Tip

Stuff happens, at least you got the first scratch out of the way.

In other news, be careful not to slip on the spent pistol casings in your garage, boys and girls!

The following users liked this post:
Scruff Vette (02-22-2017)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

LOL less then two feet from the car is my reloading bench I have over 3000 9mm casings cleaned and ready to reload it is not uncommon to find one on the floor near the bench usually it would be a bad case for one reason or another that falls out of the garbage bag next to the bench. If you closer you will see lost of used primers as well I have a 550 Dillon press and they fly all over never into the little bucket they are supposed to fall into.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 AM
USMC 0802
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 959 Likes on 490 Posts
USMC

Haha!

I have a 550B as well and there are tons of used primers under the bench and crevices in the flood.

Too funny!

Old 12-12-2016, 10:22 PM
VetteGirl 007
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tcinla
I just got my car 7 days ago. I've already purchased the skid plate and will get the navtool unit (Will order it in the morning.) i have an appointment for 3m Pro series for the hood, fenders and front bumper tomorrow. I'm even going to have them do the door edges (vertical edges) with the clear edge guard.

This is the skid plate I ordered : http://www.corvetteonline.com/tech-s...0-looking-new/

I paid enough for the car that i want to keep it looking just the way it is now.
Those are the ones that I got and I love them. They really give me peace of mind with my steep driveway! I got them from the Protekt Skid Plate website, but looks like they're also available on ebay.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the good words, as the owner and engineer at ProTEKt Skid Plates, it is truly satisfying to see that maybe folks are getting to enjoy their Corvettes a bit more, with my parts.

As a new supporting sponsor here at Corvetteforum, I'm here to answer any questions you guys have.

Thanks,
Mitch

Quick Reply: Scratched my new car